Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Exhaust vs X-pipes

Old 08-28-2018, 09:21 PM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BDubbs
2011 V8V, installed secondary cat deletes from VAP (not xpipe). Sounded much better than stock! Still wanted that exotic sound though, so i got the VAP super sport muffler which i believe has an xpipe in the muffler. Fantastic sound! I tried to upload videos before/after but it didnt like the format. If someone can point me in the right direction im happy to post the vids.
VAP GT4 Supersport is a muffler delete, theres no x pipe - just 2 angled pipes

Here's my before/after of super sport only

Old 08-28-2018, 09:46 PM
BDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the rough
I didnt get the GT4 muffler delete, it was the super sport muffler- gives the exotic sound via xpipe in the muffler.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:59 AM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
I live in California, I have a 2007 DB9. What are my options. I am assuming that I need to keep the Cats to be able to pass smog test. I know about pulling the fuse, but would consider upgrading exhaust.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:36 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Volante can be too noisy with a loud exhaust box replacement. I wouldu do straight pipes and switch back to cats for the check. With the way smog checks are done these days it's all plug and pay. Very little inspection time if your stock appearing. You could leave the cats off and probably pass.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:49 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mjanis
I live in California, I have a 2007 DB9. What are my options. I am assuming that I need to keep the Cats to be able to pass smog test. I know about pulling the fuse, but would consider upgrading exhaust.
You should be fine to pass California emissions with a secondary cat delete, the car is not monitoring those cats so it will maintain OBD compliance. We have some in stock!

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 08-31-2018, 12:34 AM
AMR248 will become famous soon enough
Does your X Pipe actually save weight compared to OEM, Stuart?

Old 08-31-2018, 10:18 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AMR248
Does your X Pipe actually save weight compared to OEM, Stuart?
Our XPipe does not. You are just replacing pipe with pipe (with an XPipe inserted.)

Our cat deletes do drop a few pounds.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 09-09-2018, 01:22 PM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
Quick question:

on my 07 V8v, when I replace the stock cats against 200cell cats plus x-pipe, is it safe to run with the stock ECU
or do I need a tune?
Just the safe part for now, its clear that a tune can further optimize things here.

Thomas

Old 09-09-2018, 03:00 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
The Vantage already has this figured out, let the dog eat.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:52 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by TR-Spider
Quick question:

on my 07 V8v, when I replace the stock cats against 200cell cats plus x-pipe, is it safe to run with the stock ECU
or do I need a tune?
Just the safe part for now, its clear that a tune can further optimize things here.

Thomas
Perfectly safe. You might get the odd cat efficiency warning but that's about it.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 09-10-2018, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Perfectly safe. You might get the odd cat efficiency warning but that's about it.
thanks, thats all the encouragement I needed...

Old 09-10-2018, 01:31 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by TR-Spider
thanks, thats all the encouragement I needed...
No problem. Shoot me an email at stuart@velocityap.com and we can get you set up.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 09-14-2018, 04:41 AM
Thanks Stuart

for the cat & X-piece I got a secondhand Hamann part, ideal for experimenting.

I will contact you, once I'm ready to go for the tune.

Thomas

Old 09-15-2018, 12:21 PM
FR500GT will become famous soon enoughFR500GT will become famous soon enough
Does anybody have a sound clip of a 4.3 or 4.7 V8 with GT4 Exhaust and cat delete?

I think this is the closest thing I have found:

Old 09-16-2018, 01:24 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lilseevs
VAP GT4 Supersport is a muffler delete, theres no x pipe - just 2 angled pipes

Here's my before/after of super sport only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyY6Sqafdj4

Ahh... This is glorious!... I also have the muffler delete and straight pipes... It is a bit noisy when cold and when you really stand on it but at highway cruising speeds it is barely perceptible. I just had my V8V into the shop for a new clutch and all the techs loved the sound