6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Paint work question... Accident.... (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/397066-paint-work-question-accident.html)

terminal_ac 09-23-2016 10:38 AM

Paint work question... Accident....

Assome of you may know, I was the victim of a female that reversed her car intomy front fender while I was pumping gas.

Anew fender was placed on the car, painted and all that. Ithought the paint work was great until, until, the sun light hit it from acertain angle. It was then revealed that the front fender and the hood didn’tfully match.

Iinformed the insurance company and they informed the repair shop.

Whilediscussing the issue with the body shop owner, he informed me that they onlyblending the paint with the door that was immediately adjacent to the replacedfront fender. He stated they did not blend the paint work into the hood becauseof the clear bra that was on the car.

Ok,so I ask. Is it me or is there something wrong headed in the thinking of thebody shop? Granted, it’s appears fine and the miss match only appears at a veryspecific angle.

Thecar goes back tomorrow for repainting.

Howmuch of the car should I expect to have painted in order for all parts tocorrectly match?

1.The entire nose (front bumper, hood and both fenders).

2.The entire nose (front bumper, hood and both front fenders),and blend into bothdoors.

3.Hood, and bother front fenders?

Someinput would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
TAC

mkzhang 09-23-2016 11:30 AM

Personally, since it was not me to cause the accident, I think it would ONLY be fair to have the car back to 100% of its original state, no matter the cost, even if the whole car had to be repainted.

C4Sbeebe 09-23-2016 11:38 AM

find a very qualified body shop and have them estimate the costs to do it 'right'. if they are really good, they will not short cut the job and they have nothing to lose/gain by giving an accurate estimate of the repairs. the insurance companies have to accept this bid as accurate for what it is. the insurance companies will move forward unless they feel the estimate is way out of line and then you can simply suggest the matter be settled in court and you'll see the insurance company reconsider rather rapidly. first thing, get an estimate on what it would cost to have it repaired 'right' and as close to 'before the accident' as possible.

terminal_ac 09-23-2016 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by mkzhang
Personally, since it was not me to cause the accident, I think it would ONLY be fair to have the car back to 100% of its original state, no matter the cost, even if the whole car had to be repainted.

:eek:

I think that's a bit much to paint the entire car just because a fender got clipped! But your point is noted.

Originally Posted by C4Sbeebe (Post 4563622)
find a very qualified body shop and have them estimate the costs to do it 'right'. if they are really good, they will not short cut the job and they have nothing to lose/gain by giving an accurate estimate of the repairs. the insurance companies have to accept this bid as accurate for what it is. the insurance companies will move forward unless they feel the estimate is way out of line and then you can simply suggest the matter be settled in court and you'll see the insurance company reconsider rather rapidly. first thing, get an estimate on what it would cost to have it repaired 'right' and as close to 'before the accident' as possible.

The thing that is strange to me is that the shop is an Aston Martin approved shop so they should be "qualified" to do the work. I'm just surprised that they would short cut the paint work like they did.

And the insurance company gave them cart blanc to get the car back to it's original state. So I don't understand why they would have done that.

I'm thinking whether they are really qualified to paint a car such as mine. After all, I was not impressed by the types of cars they had in their shop. Plenty of Fords and other miscellaneous vehicles. I saw a couple of BMW's, and they are supposedly a Tesla shop. However, none of these cars amount to an Aston Martin.

SheriffDep 09-23-2016 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by terminal_ac (Post 4563588)
Assome of you may know, I was the victim of a female that reversed her car intomy front fender while I was pumping gas.

Anew fender was placed on the car, painted and all that. Ithought the paint work was great until, until, the sun light hit it from acertain angle. It was then revealed that the front fender and the hood didn’tfully match.

Iinformed the insurance company and they informed the repair shop.

Whilediscussing the issue with the body shop owner, he informed me that they onlyblending the paint with the door that was immediately adjacent to the replacedfront fender. He stated they did not blend the paint work into the hood becauseof the clear bra that was on the car.

Ok,so I ask. Is it me or is there something wrong headed in the thinking of thebody shop? Granted, it’s appears fine and the miss match only appears at a veryspecific angle.

Thecar goes back tomorrow for repainting.

Howmuch of the car should I expect to have painted in order for all parts tocorrectly match?

1.The entire nose (front bumper, hood and both fenders).

2.The entire nose (front bumper, hood and both front fenders),and blend into bothdoors.

3.Hood, and bother front fenders?

Someinput would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
TAC

I think #2 should be the correct process. IF they cannot match the paint to match fender and hood at the same time, well then they should paint the hood to match the fenders, and blend the fenders to the doors. Sounds only right to do that. Not fair to you to have a mismatched part, just because someone else damaged it. Sorry they hit a AM, they should pay attention better next time. On a lesser car might not matter much, but for a AM which tries to hold some type of value, this should not be acceptable. Realistically, if the damage is cosmetic, and documented well, even the Carfax ding might not bother someone who really wants your car one day. If the new parts and paint look perfect. Although a dealer would kill you on trade in.

Also----- IF there is PFF on the front of the car, well they need to strip it off, repaint the front end, and then replace the PPF. Again, like someone mentioned, the car needs to be returned to its original state, regardless of the cost due to no fault of your own, being a AM authorized repair shop ( I would report this to AM for the shody work done) with a reputation to uphold etc.....

terminal_ac 09-23-2016 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by SheriffDep (Post 4563670)
I think #2 should be the correct process. IF they cannot match the paint to match fender and hood at the same time, well then they should paint the hood to match the fenders, and blend the fenders to the doors. Sounds only right to do that. Not fair to you to have a mismatched part, just because someone else damaged it. Sorry they hit a AM, they should pay attention better next time. On a lesser car might not matter much, but for a AM which tries to hold some type of value, this should not be acceptable. Realistically, if the damage is cosmetic, and documented well, even the Carfax ding might not bother someone who really wants your car one day. If the new parts and paint look perfect. Although a dealer would kill you on trade in.

Also----- IF there is PFF on the front of the car, well they need to strip it off, repaint the front end, and then replace the PPF. Again, like someone mentioned, the car needs to be returned to its original state, regardless of the cost due to no fault of your own, being a AM authorized repair shop ( I would report this to AM for the shody work done) with a reputation to uphold etc.....

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty peeved with this shop (considering they are supposed to be an Aston Martin Shop).

I simply do not have the desire to futz around with body shops. It goes to say that one should stick with a known entity, even though they may not be Aston Martin approved!

deckman 09-23-2016 02:10 PM

They should be able to blend that panel with the others. Another shop is in order

terminal_ac 09-23-2016 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by deckman (Post 4563700)
They should be able to blend that panel with the others. Another shop is in order

That's just it, they blended the door to the fender. They just made the decision to NOT blend the fender into the hood!!!

randyb 09-23-2016 02:48 PM

He did not blend the hood because of the clear bra, which to means he should have contacted you and asked your preference.

Having just had my car repaired, I would have him blend the hood and bumper, which might cause him to redo the door.

My vote would be another shop entirely if your ins company will allow that.

spf1410 09-23-2016 11:48 PM

Should have been a three-panel blend for that repair.