Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Will modern AM value ever appreciate?

Old 10-07-2016, 08:46 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
More than 20,000 V8Vs so far, more than 10,000 DB9s.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:49 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
More than 20,000 V8Vs so far, more than 10,000 DB9s.
Interesting, that is about 2000 a year. Except for 2016.
I didn't think they produced that many.
Ron

Last edited by Ron Avery; 10-18-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:46 PM
mfrankel is on a distinguished road
Flip Side

I love the optimism of this thread and the thought of appreciation...eventually.

The $500 Pontiac got me thinking, what's your best guess for the bottom price Gen 1 V8V's and Gen 1 DB9s will go to? Gotta hit a floor before can go up for most regular-run models.

They're already really low, and at what point is a hand-built "supercar" worth less than a new Ford Focus or Kia Optima?

A semi hand-built 2005 DB9 with a naturally aspirated V-12 can now be had for under $40K. Wow. Wouldn't have guessed that 5 years ago....

Old 10-08-2016, 05:23 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Let's not forget before the recent bubble an average 1980s, 1970s 911 would sell for as much as a used entry level kia. The more undesirable 80s ferrari would go for less than a camry etc.

If a car is to depreciate, it can go on for a while...

Old 10-08-2016, 07:50 AM
boxercupdave has a spectacular aura aboutboxercupdave has a spectacular aura about
I bought my 2007 V8V manual with 27K mike almost 2.5 years ago. At the time I purchased the car I think I did real well regarding price as it was at the lower end of the price range.

My thoughts are there will be a bottom to depreciation which I'm thinking will be in the 30's for the older cars. They built a lot more of these than other Aston Martins and yes they had to go to a more automated factory process to make money. However a lot of the car still required a lot of hand work, the numbers are more but still low compared to other cars and styling wise it's still one of the best out there with Ford and Jag still copying.

The 1970's and 80's Astons dropped in value but came back. The newer cars will hit a bottom but may not appreciate as they're from a different era. The fact is the current collector market is driven by a lot of older folks with money that either buy to collect thinking it's an investment or are in it because they want cars they knew growing up. Are there enough younger people coming in to keep this going I don't think so.

For the V8V they may have a different following as you can get into them at a reasonable price. If 3rd party support picks up that helps owners keep them going at a reasonable cost then they should hold some value. As owners/3rd party support learn how to deal with more complex faults as the cars age, finding ways to keep costs within reason will help.

I always wanted an Aston and depreciation wasn't a consideration as I intend to keep the car for a long time. For me it's learning the car and finding 3rd party support that can help me in keeping the car on the road. I've been able to fix a number of things on my own with help from this forum but will also need help from 3rd party support.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:16 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
If it's not a zagato or V12 S 7spd manual, then no it will not appreciate. The final GTs in manual will hold value better and drop at a slower rate, but they will not actually reverse and go up for a long long time, if ever

Old 10-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
Based on nothing but my own gut feelings, I think the decent condition manual-transmission V8Vs will bottom out in the low $30's and the questionable ones will drop into the low $20's, and stay there for a long time. Then slowly start creeping up once the newest ones are 25-30 years old. So we have some time to enjoy them

Old 10-17-2016, 08:17 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Jeff_335i
Based on nothing but my own gut feelings, I think the decent condition manual-transmission V8Vs will bottom out in the low $30's and the questionable ones will drop into the low $20's, and stay there for a long time. Then slowly start creeping up once the newest ones are 25-30 years old. So we have some time to enjoy them
I agree, high 20's low 30's for sticks that have miles. What's the point of owning a car that just keeps loosing value even if you don't drive it, drive it and don't worry about what it's worth. At the very least you get the pleasure of the drive to heal the wounds of the gapping loss of value. I paid at the high end of the scale but I was looking for a very specific set of boxes to check, and was getting really tired of searching, so I bought one that checked all the boxes, even if I paid a few g's too much, the amount of time I spent searching will be repaid quickly in not spending it anymore LOL

Old 10-18-2016, 05:08 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
When I bought the my 09 V8V last winter I contacted Aston Martin and asked them how many of these cars made it across to North America, here is the email thread:

Keith,
Here is my VIN: SCFBB03C79GC13321 and thank you for your assistance.

Francis Vachon

PS: Would you be able to tell me how many 2009 Aston Martin Vantage V8, 6spd Manual and LHD came to North America. I believe that number will be fairly low compare to other years, thanks.

Answer: Aston Martin Factory

Dear Mr Vachon

Thank you for your reply.
There were circa 400, 2009 model year V8 vantage coupe manuals built, of these circa 70 were left hand drive and shipped to North America.

Please see below the full car specification sheet as requested.

Kind regards
Keith

Old 10-18-2016, 07:20 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by handyman2009
When I bought the my 09 V8V last winter I contacted Aston Martin and asked them how many of these cars made it across to North America, here is the email thread:

Keith,

Francis Vachon

PS: Would you be able to tell me how many 2009 Aston Martin Vantage V8, 6spd Manual and LHD came to North America. I believe that number will be fairly low compare to other years, thanks.

Dear Mr Vachon

There were circa 400, 2009 model year V8 vantage coupe manuals built, of these circa 70 were left hand drive and shipped to North America.

Kind regards
Keith
My car is a One70.

I assume the Sport Packs are less than a third out of the 70.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:51 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
2009 was a really bad year for the UK in the financial world and if I recall only 1150 or so Vantage all versions were made that year. Mine is also a Sport Pack but I didn't ask them how many had that option, still 1 or 70 LHD for the year is pretty good in any books .

It would be nice if we had a Registery on the forum, I think I saw one on other forums

Old 10-18-2016, 11:05 AM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
I will add something to this discussion that I believe, but I have not seen yet on this discussion. In 20 years nearly no one will be driving their own cars. Within 40 years, it will be illegal to drive your own car as it will be called too unsafe. This means that any car that is not autonomous will likely plummet in value as it will essentially just be museum grade cars that become valuable. I would also say that the numbers I put up are on the outside of the windows that I believe will happen.

As far as the next few years, there are a lot of Vantages that have been produced. I would say that they have hit the secondary depreciation curve at the moment. So while over the next 5 years the depreciation will be much slower, it will still be there. Eventually, these cars will hit the level of people who cannot maintain them and as a result will likely go to very low (10-20k on the low end) as a result of people not being able to trust the history of the vehicle. This means that the outliers will remain high, but these will be the garage queens. Screw that. My cars are driven.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:33 PM
Don't get me wrong, I also bought my car to drive it and enjoy it. And what a joy it is to drive

Old 10-18-2016, 01:00 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by handyman2009

Keith,

Francis Vachon

Dear Mr Vachon

Kind regards
Keith
That is very cool, that you received that info from the factory. I would love to get some info on my 2016 GT. Could you PM me your contacts e mail address?
Thanks,
Ron

Old 10-18-2016, 05:39 PM
I also found this site that could be of interest to some, it has sales figures for US market and European market. Too bad they are not broken down by model but still

http://left-lane.com/us-car-sales-data/aston-martin/

http://left-lane.com/european-car-sa.../aston-martin/

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will modern AM value ever appreciate?