Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Tail lamp condensation, hosed on warranty.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 03:12 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
time to break out your drills ppl! sad but it is what it is. i still get condensation these days after a car wash but it'll dissipate overnight at least.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:43 PM
007H is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone have an updates on communication with Aston Martin corporate? I paid to have my rear tail light replaced 3 years ago and unfortunately it stopped working last night and the condensation is back. I hate to pay for something that has an obvious flaw. How do we get the attention of AM Corp to put more effort in fixing the issue without charging outrageous amounts of money.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:29 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Tail Light Mess

As I said in the past - Aston has known about this problem forever - it should be a Class Action thing!

Old 07-27-2018, 01:33 PM
I’m in

Old 07-27-2018, 02:12 PM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
Hmmm....enough momentum around this could be inconvenient come IPO time.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:22 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Mine were replaced last year for condensation and I was told they were highly dependent on the installation. They have to be perfectly aligned and cannot be tightened too hard or time/heat/etc will allow the back to pull away and break the seal.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:23 PM
Time to use the IPO as some leverage. Who wants to champion this endeavor? Lol

Old 07-28-2018, 02:17 AM
BDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
time to break out your drills ppl! sad but it is what it is. i still get condensation these days after a car wash but it'll dissipate overnight at least.
any pics or advise on where to drill the holes? 2011 V8V, i get condensation after every wash... try to use as little water as possible around tail lights... tried tape over exposed seems and no luck... these tail lights are rediculous....

Old 07-28-2018, 06:17 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
I haven't drilled any holes but I did do two things when I installed my clear replacements. I realized before I replaced my red originals with clear that there was an issue with the way the tail lights mount. When installed the tail lights lean back (downward) slightly and the water that drains down the rear trunk lid flows directly over the rear cover. Unless the light is absolutely sealed water will inevitably get in.

I'm not removing them to show (since the second seal is actually between the body and the plastic housing, but I drew a red line on this pic to show where I put the first seal - a bead of clear RTV to help seal the light.

Seal 1 - Clear RTV where red line is prior to install

For the second seal I also dammed the gap that allows the water to flow backward over the tail light and forced the water to flow down the side by sealing the gap between the body and the tail light. I drove in torrential rain last night so you can still see a little moisture sitting where the seal is since the tail light housing leans backward. Without the seal all the water that flows down the tail hatch and in between the crack from the trunk lid and quarter panels ends up flowing over the rear tail light housing. Been a couple of years now without any issues.

Typically after a rain or wash the only water that remains is the little puddle you see in the pic - this is due to the top of the light housing leaning backward but the dam (seal) preventing it from flowing over the back of the tail light housing. - This evaporates or I dab it with a paper towel when drying.

Seal 2 - Between body and tail light - prevents water from flowing over back of tail light housing.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:57 PM
Old 08-05-2018, 11:55 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
see picture. i put my 2 holes in this general vicinity, just make sure you're not hitting anything as you go through. it gets condensation after a car wash but goes away the next day,
haven't looked back since.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:15 AM
BDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the rough
i have owened many luxery vehicles... never have i had an issue with condensation in the tail lights. I love my vantage, but this should be fixed by the manufacturer in my opinion. There is no excuse for this type of failure in any component. I had a gen 1 navigator., TESLA model s, pordche 911 etc.... No excuse. Will deal with it, but shouldn't have too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.