Redpants! - Page 4 - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models
Sponsored by:

Redpants!

Old 05-26-2017, 05:06 AM
Basic Sponsor
Redpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond repute
A couple of updates about a few things I'm investing pretty heavily in right now: coilovers, intakes, and videography.

The lack of new videos recently is a combination of a brutal schedule, craptastic weather, and learning how to use my new camcorder, lighting equipment, and figuring out the best way to get good, even sound (pro tip: make sure you're recording the talking/diy session, not the moving the camera/setup time between the things you should be recording... woops). I've got a tail light installation video that I half-filmed but have to redo (see pro tip above), and then I'll be adding more videos while also refilming the subjects of my older videos to make them much, much better.

The coilover prototypes are done with their first round of testing. "Great performance, and a noticeable improvement in ride comfort." So for those of you that want a stock-like ride without having to break the bank, these will be a fantastic option. Plus they're fully ride-height adjustable, so you can get a subtle drop if you want to!

The intake filters are taking way longer than I'd hoped, but for good reason. We keep going back and forth to make things absolutely perfect - it's a full engineering effort, not just a "here are the dimensions" specification. So, we're seven weeks from these being shipped to me. Not only am I concerned with the overall quality, but also specific situations like making sure the filters stay in place if you're running the car without air boxes (which I'm doing on my grey car). If fitment isn't exact, the filters can wiggle loose from the constant movements of the car and vibrations from the road.

[email protected]

Last edited by Redpants; 05-26-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:31 AM
Gene G is a splendid one to beholdGene G is a splendid one to beholdGene G is a splendid one to beholdGene G is a splendid one to beholdGene G is a splendid one to beholdGene G is a splendid one to beholdGene G is a splendid one to behold
Send me a message as soon as the filters are available. I'll be your guinea pig. Hope to hear from you soon.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:36 AM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
very curious about the coilovers, looking forward to hearing/seeing more.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:59 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
I love your logo on the filter, good work. I am happy to be a paying guineapig for them.
Cheers
Christian

Old 06-01-2017, 07:15 AM
Basic Sponsor
Redpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond repute
I really appreciate the offers to test out the filters but it won't be necessary. Going through some pretty extensive testing already. Seriously can't wait for them to be done!

I also got some feedback on the prototype "street" coilovers:
"More comfortable than factory and with similar performance."
"Feels great, more compliant than stock, takes bumps well. The adjustment is very hard to get to, but they're working on that for the production version."

There's only one set right now, and they're on the test car (you'll be seeing more of this soon). Once done, I'll be getting a set put on my red car, and we'll begin work on the "sport" version that will make its way onto my grey car.

Each set is fully ride-height adjustable, so you can set it at factory height or dial in a little (or a lottle) bit of a drop. The Street setup should be perfect for anyone looking to keep the ride comfortable, especially if you already need to replace leaking factory struts - and these will be more affordable than OEM, too

[email protected]
Old 06-01-2017, 08:53 AM
lenny1974 is on a distinguished road
Let us know when the 'boxless' air filters are ready, looking forward to seeing and hopefully purchasing some of these.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:14 AM
spyder997s is a glorious beacon of lightspyder997s is a glorious beacon of lightspyder997s is a glorious beacon of lightspyder997s is a glorious beacon of lightspyder997s is a glorious beacon of lightspyder997s is a glorious beacon of light
Put me down as "highly interested" in your street coilovers! They sound great.

The only thing I'd add on the request sheet (for maybe v2.0) is electronic dampener control via button or phone app to change between comfort or sport mode.

My 911 had the Bilstein PSS coilovers and they dramatically changed the handling of the car, while maintaining great comfort and looks with the ride height. They even worked with the stock electronics to control the dampeners (which is why I'm requesting).

Keep us posted on the progress, Rich. Sounds like your products will be awesome!

Old 06-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Kanga is a jewel in the roughKanga is a jewel in the roughKanga is a jewel in the roughKanga is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by spyder997s View Post
The only thing I'd add on the request sheet (for maybe v2.0) is electronic dampener control via button or phone app to change between comfort or sport mode.
Just fitting this system to my Vantage with the Bilstein app on the phone.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:31 PM
spyder997s is a glorious beacon of lightspyder997s is a glorious beacon of lightspyder997s is a glorious beacon of lightspyder997s is a glorious beacon of lightspyder997s is a glorious beacon of lightspyder997s is a glorious beacon of light
Kanga, i didn't know Bilstein had those coilovers available. Can you tell us more about it?

Old 06-08-2017, 04:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
I've got a set of pre-production coilovers on the way!

So long as there aren't any issues or delays, they'll be on my grey car at AMOC's Lime Rock event in a couple weeks. The ride quality will be the same as the production version - the main thing we're changing is a redesign of the rear struts to relocate the damping adjustment **** to be more accessible. Since we're doing this redesign, we'll also need to do a second round of testing - that means I still don't have a release date. But when I do get that date, I'm planning to do a pre-order special leading up to production.

As with my other parts, everything needed for installation will be included, so you won't be left trying to figure out what's needed for the job or where to get it. The coilovers are ride-height adjustable, so you'll be able to set them at factory height for clearance, or down low for stance, or anywhere in between.

---

Lime Rock should be interesting... It'll be my first track day since making out with the tire wall at Summit Point (I'll admit, I was a bit gun-shy during the rally I did a couple weeks ago), plus a new suspension setup. Should be fun and terrifying and AXA Runner is gonna smoke me again but hey, at least I will have had fun...

---

I've had a few emails from people lately about how Redpants has been going. To sum up my answers to the main questions I've been getting:
-It's been non-stop work, more than I can handle but I'm getting by, but yes I still love it and I'm happy I decided to start it.
-I now have help with social media and soon a videographer, both of which will be saving me a ton of time so I can get back to building content, posting on the forums (I've barely gotten on lately), and answering emails much more quickly.
-Redpants will NOT become a subscription service. I'm looking at a crowdsourcing method so I can pursue something of a spin-off project, but that's only tangentially related to Redpants.

Of course, if there are any other questions or comments, please send them to me at [email protected] and I'll be happy to answer!

[email protected]
Old 06-08-2017, 05:32 PM
Dustan is on a distinguished road
Do you have a ballpark on the coil over pre order?

Old 06-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
I'm expecting ~$3k but nothing is finalized yet. It'll still be extremely competive regardless

Old 06-08-2017, 06:26 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Redpants View Post
-It's been non-stop work, more than I can handle but I'm getting by, but yes I still love it and I'm happy I decided to start it.
-I now have help with social media and soon a videographer, both of which will be saving me a ton of time so I can get back to building content, posting on the forums (I've barely gotten on lately), and answering emails much more quickly.
I used to read between the lines really good so I'll take a stab at that.

Your girlfriend "volunteered" to unburden your load in exchange for her liability in that little parking mishap?

Word of advice, within a couple years be ready to have to transition to Redpants full time. You will grow until you will not be able to work a 9-5. I spent 5 years trying to hang onto both before I realized where the future was. It'll be alot of work and it will turn your passion into a J.O.B., which will rob some of that passion. But it will be a road worth traveling.

Originally Posted by Redpants View Post
Lime Rock should be interesting... It'll be my first track day since making out with the tire wall at Summit Point (I'll admit, I was a bit gun-shy during the rally I did a couple weeks ago), plus a new suspension setup. Should be fun and terrifying and AXA Runner is gonna smoke me again but hey, at least I will have had fun...
Do you take track insurance everytime you chance swapping spit with a tire wall? If so, who with?

Old 06-08-2017, 10:16 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
I've already offered to jump in as a silent partner...

RedPants has a future!

.... Perhaps if I bought some red pants and posted pics, Rich would consider the idea :-)

New rule, everyone that buys from Red Oants should post a pic next to the product wearing red pants

Old 06-09-2017, 07:19 AM
Basic Sponsor
The setup on Tavarish's car is just the prototype, and there are some key differences between those units and the final version. I'll also be including additional hardware to allow access to the front damping adjustment *****, and we'll be redesigning the rear struts to relocated the *****. He also has the standard springs, which I won't be using - I'm spec'ing Swift springs as standard (Swift is one of the best spring manufacturers in the world).

I had no input into the video - I didn't want to cause any bias whatsoever. I didn't know anything about what would be said until it went live this morning.

[email protected]

Last edited by Redpants; 06-09-2017 at 07:39 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.