Redpants! - Page 5 - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models
Sponsored by:

Redpants!

Old 06-09-2017, 07:51 AM
Basic Sponsor
Redpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender View Post
I used to read between the lines really good so I'll take a stab at that.

Your girlfriend "volunteered" to unburden your load in exchange for her liability in that little parking mishap?

Word of advice, within a couple years be ready to have to transition to Redpants full time. You will grow until you will not be able to work a 9-5. I spent 5 years trying to hang onto both before I realized where the future was. It'll be alot of work and it will turn your passion into a J.O.B., which will rob some of that passion. But it will be a road worth traveling.

Do you take track insurance everytime you chance swapping spit with a tire wall? If so, who with?
She's helping out mostly to free up my time so she can have more of it
I wouldn't be surprised if I find myself needing to cross that bridge in a couple years, but right now I'm nose to the grindstone to keep things moving forward. I'm already spending 20-40 hrs per week on Redpants in addition to my grown-up job, so being able to live off Redpants would actually be a blessing!

I'm shopping around for track insurance right now, and I'll definitely have it at Lime Rock. Way, way too much money into my grey car's rebuild to go without it now!
Originally Posted by Batman-76 View Post
I've already offered to jump in as a silent partner...
RedPants has a future!
.... Perhaps if I bought some red pants and posted pics, Rich would consider the idea :-)
New rule, everyone that buys from Red Oants should post a pic next to the product wearing red pants
I did catch the hint I may find myself needing to go that route down the road but right now taking on an investor would just complicate things.

The ironic thing about people wearing red pants in support/satire is that I put on a few pounds and I don't actually fit into my red pants right now

[email protected]
Old 06-09-2017, 08:56 AM
supraholic will become famous soon enoughsupraholic will become famous soon enough
Wow--this is awesome. Is it safe to assume the setup you end up with will work for the V12 Vantage too? Perhaps slightly different front spring rate to account for the heavier front end? I LOVE the adjustability of this setup!!

Originally Posted by Redpants View Post
The setup on Tavarish's car is just the prototype, and there are some key differences between those units and the final version. I'll also be including additional hardware to allow access to the front damping adjustment *****, and we'll be redesigning the rear struts to relocated the *****. He also has the standard springs, which I won't be using - I'm spec'ing Swift springs as standard (Swift is one of the best spring manufacturers in the world).

https://youtu.be/WPj6HXsGwFk

I had no input into the video - I didn't want to cause any bias whatsoever. I didn't know anything about what would be said until it went live this morning.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:24 AM
goto35 will become famous soon enough
Is the clutch for manual only or ss as well?

Old 06-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Kanga is a jewel in the roughKanga is a jewel in the roughKanga is a jewel in the roughKanga is a jewel in the rough
Not sure where your suspension guys got their data from but I've never seen anyone go softer on the rear than the front. Standard for a 4.3 is 265 front, 493 rear. According to the video they are using 560 front, 335 rear. That would understeer like a pig. Did they match the anti roll bars as well and reset the geometry?

Old 06-09-2017, 02:04 PM
skywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
Not sure where your suspension guys got their data from but I've never seen anyone go softer on the rear than the front. Standard for a 4.3 is 265 front, 493 rear. According to the video they are using 560 front, 335 rear. That would understeer like a pig. Did they match the anti roll bars as well and reset the geometry?
I was thinking the same thing. Nothing was mentioned about touching the sway bars. With that much of an increase of front spring rate the outside tire is going to get loaded heavily in a turn, especially with that soft of a rear spring. Either the rear spring rate needs to be increased to maintain proper front/rear bias or the rear sway bar needs to be changed to a stiffer one to achieve a similar overall result.

Hearing comments about the car having a harsher ride after the install do not reassure me either. That leads me to believe the shocks were set on the stiffer side of dampening when he the facility. This was probably done to introduce a sharper turn-in. This is perceived by most to be an improvement. That may cause the car to take longer to get to a steady state of weight transfer though. That may not be an issue on long sweeper courses if you maintain a steady turn loading. It may have an unpredictable response late in the turn though if you push it harder or try to transition to a late apex. On a short course scenario it may cause the car to be unsettled easily in a slalom. That may be a positive, depending on how the car responds and what the driver is looking for. With that much front spring rate compared to a soft rear the risk of snap oversteer should be very low though.

Last edited by skywagon; 06-09-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Deuuuce has a reputation beyond reputeDeuuuce has a reputation beyond reputeDeuuuce has a reputation beyond reputeDeuuuce has a reputation beyond reputeDeuuuce has a reputation beyond reputeDeuuuce has a reputation beyond reputeDeuuuce has a reputation beyond reputeDeuuuce has a reputation beyond reputeDeuuuce has a reputation beyond reputeDeuuuce has a reputation beyond reputeDeuuuce has a reputation beyond repute
Just found this post. Very cool! How's it going?

Old 06-10-2017, 08:50 AM
HabitualOffender is a glorious beacon of lightHabitualOffender is a glorious beacon of lightHabitualOffender is a glorious beacon of lightHabitualOffender is a glorious beacon of lightHabitualOffender is a glorious beacon of lightHabitualOffender is a glorious beacon of light
I'm shopping around for track insurance right now, and I'll definitely have it at Lime Rock. Way, way too much money into my grey car's rebuild to go without it now!
I'm trying to figure out if I can spare a couple days, I'd be a late register if I can. I need to get my nose off the grindstone every now and then, before it's all gone. Let me know who you end up with so I can piggy back on your shopping

Old 06-10-2017, 03:00 PM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
Agreed

Old 06-11-2017, 06:44 PM
Basic Sponsor
Redpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond repute
I'm waiting for answers on why they went that direction. It wasn't what I asked for and I'm a bit worried they didn't listen to some pretty specific guidelines for what was needed. I should have an answer tomorrow.

In the meantime, I did a bunch of maintenance and whatnot to my grey car today. The air box deletes are working perfectly, and the air filters show no signs of damage despite what I've put them through. So I'll be getting these ready to sell very soon!

I also put the RZ05 wheels for my red car onto my grey one. Gotta say, I love them!!

[email protected]
Old 06-11-2017, 07:02 PM
Gene G is a splendid one to beholdGene G is a splendid one to beholdGene G is a splendid one to beholdGene G is a splendid one to beholdGene G is a splendid one to beholdGene G is a splendid one to beholdGene G is a splendid one to behold
Let me know as soon as the filters are available for sale and I'll place an order.
Your gray care look incredible. I love when you take something bad happening an turn into something positive.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:13 PM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
Rich,

Your car looks fantastic!

Old 06-11-2017, 07:20 PM
blue2000s will become famous soon enoughblue2000s will become famous soon enough
The setup on Tavarish's car is just the prototype, and there are some key differences between those units and the final version. I'll also be including additional hardware to allow access to the front damping adjustment *****, and we'll be redesigning the rear struts to relocated the *****. He also has the standard springs, which I won't be using - I'm spec'ing Swift springs as standard (Swift is one of the best spring manufacturers in the world).

https://youtu.be/WPj6HXsGwFk

I had no input into the video - I didn't want to cause any bias whatsoever. I didn't know anything about what would be said until it went live this morning.
In addition to the comments on spring rate, the car is lowered WAYYY too much. I know ride height is adjustable but I have to wonder about the abilities of these guys to tune in the right settings if that's the height they chose for this very public demonstration. It looks ridiculous and I wonder how much travel there is before it's bouncing off the stops?

Last edited by blue2000s; 06-11-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:45 AM
Basic Sponsor
The initial round of AMR parts is a mix of "race inspired" car parts and personal accessories: body parts, wheels, titanium exhaust, clutch/flywheel, luggage, "key pouch and presentation case", helmet, track cam, race suit...

I may be over-analyzing word choice, but I think there's a hint at a new AMR model to be announced by the end of the month...

[email protected]
Old 06-14-2017, 10:48 AM
Basic Sponsor
Had a long chat with BC Racing about that video. It looks like there was a bit of incomplete information in that video, and some conflicting reactions to the coilovers due to missing details about that test drive.

First off, the road he's on is completely mangled. You can see how torn up the pavement is so there's no surprise that it was a bit bumpy. That, and he's got them set to halfway between least- and most-stiff, which means there's plenty of space to make them more comfortable. So I'm taking the commentary about harshness with a grain of salt.

The spring rates on all of Aston's OEM setups is more stiff in the rear than in the front. They tried that setup as well as having the front more stiff, and decided the ride was better with the front more stiff than the rear. The weight bias is extremely close to neutral so it isn't unheard of to mix things up like this. They also didn't have any issues with under- or over-steer. The spring rates are actually very, very close to those of the Prodrive V8 Vantage (albeit with the rates swapped front/rear).

They used their standard springs instead of the Swift springs because they are using those prototype coilovers as a baseline. We'll be offering a 'basic' coilover based on this setup for anyone that wants to keep their costs as low as possible. I should have this on my grey car at Lime Rock for anyone there that wants to check it out. The 'Redpants edition' will have higher-end springs made by Swift, plus a few other additional things. The price will be higher, but still very competitive against what's currently on the market. Once ready, I'll be putting this setup on my grey car while we develop a more track-focused set of coilovers.

As for the video, it left out a lot of details about what had been done up to that point, and what still remains to do. I'll be testing the setup myself - I'm supposed to have it on the 19th so I can get it installed no later than the 20th. That'll give me another day to drive around for initial impressions, drive 7 hours to CT for long-haul impressions, and drive on Lime Rock for track impressions... plus the return trip.

So right now I'm not too worried. As I've said, I'm not going to sell something I'm not happy with, and if changes need to be made, then they'll be made before deliveries begin.

In other news, I've added pre-order listings for my high-flow dry intake filters and air box delete brackets!
http://www.redpants.lol/shop/air-box-deletes
http://www.redpants.lol/shop/high-flow-intake-filters

I'll be doing a video for the air box removal DIY tonight, plus weighing all the intake system pieces I've removed.

[email protected]
Old 06-14-2017, 10:54 AM
svre46 will become famous soon enough

I also put the RZ05 wheels for my red car onto my grey one. Gotta say, I love them!!
Rich,

What suspension is the grey car on? The height and wheel combo look perfect.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors