Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 Whirring Sound

Old 09-10-2018, 10:32 PM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
DB9 Whirring Sound

I have had my 2007 DB9 for about a year and during that time I have learned to love the car with all of it idiosyncrasies.

The question in my mind has to do with the sound at low speed and moderate RPMs. It can best be described as a whirring sound.

I have a tendency to listen to my cars very closely. How they sound can be an indicator of a failing component or a finely tuned machine.

When I first got the car, I thought the sound was from gear lash in the transmission or differential. My car is an automatic and the sound is most noticeable when using the paddle shifters.

However, now that I have had a chance to pay closer attention to the sound, it is definitely coming from the engine because it is RPM dependent. When driving in full automatic mode, the sound is almost imperceptible because it will upshift before the RPMs are held steady and at higher RPMs the exhaust note drowns out any other engine sound.

The sound seems to be most noticeable when cruising in 2nd gear at between 2000 and 2500 RPMs. I now believe that the sound is possibly emanating from a pump. At least that is what it sounds like to me.

I am am not sure if this is normal or if I have a pump that is acting up. Not sure which pump it would be, water, power steering, A/C, oil, fuel, ????

Not sure if the engine uses any gear pumps but based on the sound.... again not sure.
If anyone can shed some light on this, I would be really grateful.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Mark

Old 09-11-2018, 09:05 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Most common on any car that is easy to check, Idler pulley bearings (2) of them and one belt tension pulley.