6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   No airbox = more power (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/399686-no-airbox-more-power.html)

DetomasoGTS74 07-19-2017 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by superuser (Post 4651794)
Awesome, just ordered a set!

Rich-I received my set, they look great! I will be installing them once I receive my new coilovers.

DetomasoGTS74 07-19-2017 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kanga (Post 4648838)
The great thing about the filter adapters is that you can use a range of filters with them. Factory AML works, Redpants new dry filters or K&N. The redesigned bracket is very secure once fitted and extremely strong, the internal structure is a 3d honeycomb ABS for added support. The final set is just coming off the 3d printer and should be with Rich next week.

Roo-did you leave the ram air type setup coming out of the grill going down to where the air boxes were?

Rich and I were talking about it and thinking it may be best to keep it even without any air boxes as it still should push air to the open filter.

DetomasoGTS74 07-19-2017 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kanga (Post 4651812)
When you install them the flange on the side points down and the locating tab on it is closest to the center of the car. Make sure you remove the rubber grommet and sleeve from the bracket that is bolted on to the car chassis. The tab then fits into this bracket and you use one of the original bolts with a washer and nut to locate it. I'm sure Rich will do a video to show how to fit them.

Thanks for the heads up Roo. His videos are always helpful. I should be putting my coilovers on in the next couple weeks and will be taking care of the airbox deletes at the same time.

DetomasoGTS74 07-26-2017 10:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Installed Rich's/Redpants air box deletes today in roughly 45 minutes. It's a straight forward job with the only trick being the removal of the rubber grommets mentioned above by Kanga (thanks). I also had to pull the vacuum tube from the manifold the connects to the n400 style air boxes.

I can confirm that the fit is great. Neither the air boxes nor the new holder will move around at all.

Rwp137 07-27-2017 02:14 PM

Curious as to how much more hp you get with this mod. Anyone know?

era2076 10-19-2017 12:56 PM

Water

2017 WEC Fuji skip ahead to 37 sec - the Astons are back there somewhere

lenny1974 02-02-2018 03:48 AM

Air intake duct removal

I am in the process of making my own little air box removal mod and wondered if you can remove the intake ducts without taking off more bodywork trim ? I already have the wheel arch liners, under tray, bumper liner and air boxes out. they seem to be very difficult to pull through the gap ? Any help would be appreciated.

embdenb 02-03-2018 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rwp137 (Post 4653873)
Curious as to how much more hp you get with this mod. Anyone know?

IMHO, None.

This is a feel good mod. Without any additional changes, I do not believe there is any horsepower gains.

That said, removing the air boxes and remapping the ECU should provide an increase in HP.
This was the basis for the modification that increased the HP on the 4.3 from 380 to 400.
I would also change the cats to the less restrictive units.

blue2000s 02-03-2018 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by embdenb (Post 4695295)
IMHO, None.

This is a feel good mod. Without any additional changes, I do not believe there is any horsepower gains.

That said, removing the air boxes and remapping the ECU should provide an increase in HP.
This was the basis for the modification that increased the HP on the 4.3 from 380 to 400.
I would also change the cats to the less restrictive units.

By the nature of a MAF system, as long as the speed of the flow measured accurately reflects the volume flow rate (meaning the MAF is located and calibrated correctly) it doesn't matter what is done with the intake, the ECU will automatically adopt. So if there is a gain to be had with changing the intake system, it is accomplished independent of an engine tune. The tune in turn is independent of the intake changess.

lenny1974 02-03-2018 08:21 AM

My understanding was that be removing the air boxes and fitting a more free flowing air filter, there is a gain in HP. If this wasn’t the case, how could K&N and other air filter manufactures claim a gain in HP. Again, if you’ve got more air entering the plenum chamber (with MAF sensors in place) you should get more fuel, more fuel and air mean more HP ? It’s probably only about 5HP, but just a home project. I’ve already got 200 cat cells and tubi exhaust, so I’m expecting around 400 bhp.

DetomasoGTS74 02-03-2018 08:55 AM

I have done before/after dynos on most mods over the years and found the 200 cell cats to be the biggest bang for the buck (and improvement in sound). I have done every mod I am aware of to help improve the little 4.3L and am putting down close to 400RWHP

That said I have not done an after Dyno with the air box delete. I did speak with TRG and David Appleby prior to removing and they both shared roughly 10rwhp gain with removal and drillling into the fender liners directly under the filters.

deckman 02-03-2018 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74 (Post 4695311)
I have done before/after dynos on most mods over the years and found the 200 cell cats to be the biggest bang for the buck (and improvement in sound). I have done every mod I am aware of to help improve the little 4.3L and am putting down close to 400RWHP

You were able to get that much more out of the 4.3? What would that be, about 475HP at the crank? That's remarkable.

Old phart 02-03-2018 07:32 PM

I can chime in as to the system adapting. When I first took mine out I'd get the occasional code. Hasn't happened now in over 6 months of driving including a track day. So I guess it's recalibrated.

handyman2009 02-04-2018 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by deckman (Post 4695379)
You were able to get that much more out of the 4.3? What would that be, about 475HP at the crank? That's remarkable.

I thought that I saw somewhere that we get about 13% lost in power through the power train so it would be more like 400WHP to 450 Crank HP, more or less which is more believable. Maybe the 4.7 could reach the 475HP at the crank...