Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

No airbox = more power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 03:06 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by superuser
Awesome, just ordered a set!
Rich-I received my set, they look great! I will be installing them once I receive my new coilovers.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:09 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Kanga
The great thing about the filter adapters is that you can use a range of filters with them. Factory AML works, Redpants new dry filters or K&N. The redesigned bracket is very secure once fitted and extremely strong, the internal structure is a 3d honeycomb ABS for added support. The final set is just coming off the 3d printer and should be with Rich next week.
Roo-did you leave the ram air type setup coming out of the grill going down to where the air boxes were?

Rich and I were talking about it and thinking it may be best to keep it even without any air boxes as it still should push air to the open filter.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Kanga
When you install them the flange on the side points down and the locating tab on it is closest to the center of the car. Make sure you remove the rubber grommet and sleeve from the bracket that is bolted on to the car chassis. The tab then fits into this bracket and you use one of the original bolts with a washer and nut to locate it. I'm sure Rich will do a video to show how to fit them.
Thanks for the heads up Roo. His videos are always helpful. I should be putting my coilovers on in the next couple weeks and will be taking care of the airbox deletes at the same time.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:23 PM
Installed Rich's/Redpants air box deletes today in roughly 45 minutes. It's a straight forward job with the only trick being the removal of the rubber grommets mentioned above by Kanga (thanks). I also had to pull the vacuum tube from the manifold the connects to the n400 style air boxes.

I can confirm that the fit is great. Neither the air boxes nor the new holder will move around at all.

Attached Images   
Old 07-27-2017, 02:14 PM
Rwp137 is an unknown quantity at this point
Curious as to how much more hp you get with this mod. Anyone know?

Old 10-19-2017, 12:56 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Water

2017 WEC Fuji skip ahead to 37 sec - the Astons are back there somewhere

Old 02-02-2018, 03:48 AM
lenny1974 is on a distinguished road
Air intake duct removal

I am in the process of making my own little air box removal mod and wondered if you can remove the intake ducts without taking off more bodywork trim ? I already have the wheel arch liners, under tray, bumper liner and air boxes out. they seem to be very difficult to pull through the gap ? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:29 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Rwp137
Curious as to how much more hp you get with this mod. Anyone know?
IMHO, None.

This is a feel good mod. Without any additional changes, I do not believe there is any horsepower gains.

That said, removing the air boxes and remapping the ECU should provide an increase in HP.
This was the basis for the modification that increased the HP on the 4.3 from 380 to 400.
I would also change the cats to the less restrictive units.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:04 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by embdenb
IMHO, None.

This is a feel good mod. Without any additional changes, I do not believe there is any horsepower gains.

That said, removing the air boxes and remapping the ECU should provide an increase in HP.
This was the basis for the modification that increased the HP on the 4.3 from 380 to 400.
I would also change the cats to the less restrictive units.
By the nature of a MAF system, as long as the speed of the flow measured accurately reflects the volume flow rate (meaning the MAF is located and calibrated correctly) it doesn't matter what is done with the intake, the ECU will automatically adopt. So if there is a gain to be had with changing the intake system, it is accomplished independent of an engine tune. The tune in turn is independent of the intake changess.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:21 AM
lenny1974 is on a distinguished road
My understanding was that be removing the air boxes and fitting a more free flowing air filter, there is a gain in HP. If this wasn’t the case, how could K&N and other air filter manufactures claim a gain in HP. Again, if you’ve got more air entering the plenum chamber (with MAF sensors in place) you should get more fuel, more fuel and air mean more HP ? It’s probably only about 5HP, but just a home project. I’ve already got 200 cat cells and tubi exhaust, so I’m expecting around 400 bhp.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:55 AM
I have done before/after dynos on most mods over the years and found the 200 cell cats to be the biggest bang for the buck (and improvement in sound). I have done every mod I am aware of to help improve the little 4.3L and am putting down close to 400RWHP

That said I have not done an after Dyno with the air box delete. I did speak with TRG and David Appleby prior to removing and they both shared roughly 10rwhp gain with removal and drillling into the fender liners directly under the filters.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:47 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
I have done before/after dynos on most mods over the years and found the 200 cell cats to be the biggest bang for the buck (and improvement in sound). I have done every mod I am aware of to help improve the little 4.3L and am putting down close to 400RWHP
You were able to get that much more out of the 4.3? What would that be, about 475HP at the crank? That's remarkable.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
I can chime in as to the system adapting. When I first took mine out I'd get the occasional code. Hasn't happened now in over 6 months of driving including a track day. So I guess it's recalibrated.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:34 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by deckman
You were able to get that much more out of the 4.3? What would that be, about 475HP at the crank? That's remarkable.
I thought that I saw somewhere that we get about 13% lost in power through the power train so it would be more like 400WHP to 450 Crank HP, more or less which is more believable. Maybe the 4.7 could reach the 475HP at the crank...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.