Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New member first timer looking to buy V8V

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 05:34 PM
Myasgar is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New member first timer looking to buy V8V

Hello
I am seriously looking at buying 2009 V8V spyder. As I am a first timer AM buyer and forum user please bear with me. I live in Canada but I'll convert Mileages into US. Car has 11,300 miles never winter driven and had last dealer inspection (48 mon 64k) in November 2012. Car then had 9300 miles.
Car is single owner and from records I have yearly usage is as follows
Year 1 2500 miles
Year 2. 2500 miles
Year 3. 1900 miles
Year 4. 2300 miles
Year 5. 750 miles
Year 6. 750 miles
Years 7 and 8 total: 525 !!!
Car is auto/sport shift
Car had recall for seat warmers in September 2016 at dealer
I see no service records from dealer between November 2012 at 9300 miles and now 11,300 miles although wholesaler who is selling me this car says oil has been changed before each of last 3 winter storages
I test drove the car and found the drive very weird ....hesitation between gear changes etc but through this site I found out I have to do a clutch procedure to calibrate clutch I.e. Cold start wait for clutch sound repeat 3/4 times. I'll do this next time I try car
What I would like to know from you guys is your gut feelings about car things I should look out for etc etc I plan on doing a PPI next week. What should it tell me??
Any input would be appreciated
By the way cost of car $48,000 US dollars.......$64,000 Canadian

Old 05-06-2017, 10:19 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Hi and welcome

It's always a worry when car hasn't been serviced regularly, however given the tiny miles it's done it should be ok.

I'd check the oil colour against a clean white cloth( if it's still golden the story about regular changes may hold up, if it's black that story is bull*^+t). My V8V still had golden oil after about 5000km, but at 10000 had gone almost black.

It may give you some comfort

Otherwise get it to a dealer and pay them for the full inspection - they can also provide a factory warranty extension if it is in good nick. And they know what they are looking for

Good luck, it sounds like a good car

Garze

Old 05-06-2017, 10:35 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I'd say it sounds awfully cheap for a clean 11k car. Always be wary of the too good deal.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:16 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
I'd say it sounds awfully cheap for a clean 11k car. Always be wary of the too good deal.
Gear shifts weird? Car probably below market value? Get the car inspected at a dealer before you make any decisions.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:29 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
I agree with the above posts. If you are ok with a manual, I would at least drive a similar Vanntage with a stick. It would have a higher resale in the future and drive better with less possible problems ( provided the clutch in both vehicles is good condition ).
Ron

Last edited by Ron Avery; 05-08-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:48 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hello...the guys are giving good advice...I do not agree on the value higher on manual but each his own...

On the asm...never use comfort...using d is ok in stop and go heavy traffic...use the paddles mostly...1 gear is strangest starting...lags a little but I am told fixed when tuned...2- on is great after you practice a little...I let up a little and gas when changing...smooth but becomes rough if shift and let up on gas quickly...like a thug feel...avoid..haha

Also... important to note...the transmission controls the car in asm ...protects the clutch more and if you forget to shift forces the issue,..in the AM book it actually states auto-shift is 3 times faster shifting than a manual...but just stating this will get challenges to you on this forum...lol

If you are a stick guy...stay with stick..
If open minded play with the asm...
Good luck

Edited...in December I purchased a sport package 09 special paint...and all options but heated seats and front sensor for around 50000.00 us

Last edited by Aldv; 05-07-2017 at 08:50 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.