Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage prices dropping like crazy yet R8 very steady..why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 12:11 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
Vantage prices dropping like crazy yet R8 very steady..why?

When I bought my 2008 vantage roadster 4 years ago it was similar priced to a Audi R8.

The R8 has dropped maybe 10-20% yet the Vantage has dropped 40%.

Why do you think that is? Not sure what I can get for my vantage but I know it won't be much (45-50k max). As such I'll be keeping the Vantage indefinitely (still the best looking roadster out of any car imo and combine with easy to maintain such a rock solid car!)

But why has the R8 prices not dropped? A decent one is still in the 75-85k range.

Now my strategy is to keep the Vantage and possibly pick up a R8 when prices creep to 60's (not happening yet).

Old 04-21-2017, 12:21 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
perceived reliability, and repair costs, and lets face it - the R8 is a much more exotic car looks wise than vantages, and not everyone even knows what an Aston Martin is... most popular question I get when driving around is "what kind of car is that" or I see people squinting at the badge on the back of the car trying to figure out what it is

Old 04-21-2017, 12:46 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sonies
perceived reliability, and repair costs, and lets face it - the R8 is a much more exotic car looks wise than vantages, and not everyone even knows what an Aston Martin is... most popular question I get when driving around is "what kind of car is that" or I see people squinting at the badge on the back of the car trying to figure out what it is
I have to agree with this.

I get questions all the time about reliability and maintenance, plus see [untrue] comments online about how expensive these cars are to maintain. The overwhelming perception I've seen is that they're slow, fragile, expensive, and almost every part is from the Ford parts bin. It's almost always false, but it's an uphill battle getting the point across. Still, we carry on...

Old 04-21-2017, 01:57 PM
all good points. almost makes me cry when i see early V8 vantages on sale for $35-40k.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:25 PM
Lve2xlr8 is on a distinguished road
True. R8 is not going to age nearly as well IMO. Plus you have that ugly, old navigation screen. At least we can hide ours

Old 04-21-2017, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Lve2xlr8
True. R8 is not going to age nearly as well IMO. Plus you have that ugly, old navigation screen. At least we can hide ours
haha

Old 04-21-2017, 03:03 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
No offence to Audi R8 owners, but there are only a few colors and trims I've seen them in that aren't ugly (my opinion), and the soft tops look terrible. The other day a BMW I-8 pulled up next to me and said - beautiful car - 'someday I'll have one'... I think he assumed the Aston was more expensive than the I-8!

Old 04-21-2017, 03:07 PM
funny you say that.

I have a roadster and I think the vantage roadster is the best looking car top up or top town.

R8 convertible only looks good top down.

The other car ive seriously considered is the F430. And although i would love a convertible, its just UGLY in non coupe form.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:28 PM
PK_Vantage is on a distinguished road
Since we on the topic of car depreciation, let me tell you guys a nice little story of mine...

In 2006 I sold my then pristine '97 993Turbo with 8K miles at $94K.
With that same $$ I bought a '99 355F1 Berlinetta with 4K miles.

Fast forward ten years later I sold that 355F1 (fully sorted) with 7K miles at $75K (even then I had to practically beg the buyer to take the deal).
Had I held on to that 993Turbo it would be worth close to $200K.

Tell me about kicking myself in the rear....

Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2017, 03:52 PM
skywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the rough
I receive questions from people frequently about the reliability, maintenance cost, and depreciation of the Vantage. They then get back into their Camaro/Mustang/Corvette/etc. that they paid just as much for or more than I paid for my used Vantage. Three years from now their car will have depreciated more than my Vantage has, including it's maintenance costs.

People are now getting used to the current market of certain cars not losing value or increasing after sale. I feel it is a bubble that is going to burst and many will be left with cars that they way overpaid for.

I purchased my Vantage because I think it is one of the most beautiful cars released in the last 20 years, both in design and in the sound the V8 makes. It benefits from the Ford era of ownership in that parts are not that bad compared to other cars that were a similar MSRP during the time. I also like that I can work on the car myself. There is no worrying about depreciation/a drop in desirability among potential buyers because there are not dealer stamps in a book. Although this is the first toy I have given up on resale/future value as there is nothing else out there that I would rather have. And instead of upgrading to a later car I have decided to perform some upgrades on my current one. I found one that is excellent mechanically and I would rather not hunt again.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:44 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Two years ago I purchased a new V8V and a new R8 V8. Both are standard shifts.
As I have stated many times, they are remarkably different vehicles.
There is nothing subtle about the R8. It is exotic, seen in many movies, etc. It has very broad recognition.
The Vantage on the other hand is subtle and elegant. Perhaps it is much less recognized and less appreciated by the masses. Supply and demand rules.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by larryg
There is nothing subtle about the R8. It is exotic, seen in many movies, etc. It has very broad recognition.
The Vantage on the other hand is subtle and elegant. Perhaps it is much less recognized and less appreciated by the masses. Supply and demand rules.

Very nice!! and pics please?

Old 04-21-2017, 05:07 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Captain Greg...You are a fun guy to read...As for most of us here we buy our cars as we want them not for an investment...I bought the vantage as I wanted a nice car that not every other person drives...Too many Cadillacs...Etc...On the road...While I can afford higher end cars and looked at them...Since buying...It just makes me happy..Just my thoughts...Enjoy your weekend guys we know the Captain will...lol

Old 04-21-2017, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by larryg
Holy SHI$ larry you need to drive your car more! 630 miles...really!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...on-martin.html

Old 04-21-2017, 05:18 PM
i wonder how many miles on your R8...1,000? lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.