Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

US Customs and ordering parts from AmBits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 09:30 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
US Customs and ordering parts from AmBits

Grrrrrrrrrrrr-

Apparently, my interior carbon fiber kit is being held by customs for a closer inspection.

Seems that any orders of parts over $2000 is subject to a "close" inspection.

What was supposed to be an overnight shipment has now turned into a 1 week wait.

Speaking to DHL, they cannot provide an estimate as to when my parts will be delivered.

To say the least, I am annoyed!!!!

Has anyone else experienced this?

TAC

Old 05-18-2017, 10:48 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Yep, I deal with it all the time lol.

I try to keep on top of international shipments to make sure they don't get delayed. Sometimes I can get import duties handled, too, but I at least keep on top of the shipment to prevent delays.

Last edited by Redpants; 05-18-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:27 AM
smdzucladoc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by terminal_ac
Grrrrrrrrrrrr-

Apparently, my interior carbon fiber kit is being held by customs for a closer inspection.

Seems that any orders of parts over $2000 is subject to a "close" inspection.

What was supposed to be an overnight shipment has now turned into a 1 week wait.

Speaking to DHL, they cannot provide an estimate as to when my parts will be delivered.

To say the least, I am annoyed!!!!

Has anyone else experienced this?

TAC
I brought a carbon fiber diffuser and a pair of AM workshop overall from them 2 months ago, and was only delay 1 day while I pay DHL for customs. So that is strange and sorry to hear that. I wish AMbits did not send it overnight though as I would have wait a little to say on shipping.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:07 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
I've ordered from AmBits three times. Average about a two day delay in customs.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:05 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
I'm at a loss w/r/t to what to do at this point. I've called DHL and Customs, but can't get a consistent story. It seems each entity is blaming the other for the delay.

I was expecting delivery by at least this weekend. At the rate things are moving, it doesn't seem like I'll be seeing my parts before this Saturday.

Totally annoyed....

Old 05-18-2017, 02:10 PM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by terminal_ac
I'm at a loss w/r/t to what to do at this point. I've called DHL and Customs, but can't get a consistent story. It seems each entity is blaming the other for the delay.

I was expecting delivery by at least this weekend. At the rate things are moving, it doesn't seem like I'll be seeing my parts before this Saturday.

Totally annoyed....
Sorry to hear that. But I had same problems when I ordered some parts, that was delayed for a week & end up costing me extra $140 for customs fee.. ..
I tried to call them, at that time, I was getting same results. they blame others..

Old 05-18-2017, 02:23 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
What duties do you guys in the USA have to pay ? Just curious

Old 05-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by captain Greg
What duties do you guys in the USA have to pay ? Just curious
Depends entirely on what's being shipped.
I just cut a check a few minutes ago for $34 on a $3000 shipment of inventory.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:34 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Redpants
Depends entirely on what's being shipped.
I just cut a check a few minutes ago for $34 on a $3000 shipment of inventory.
Ok thanks, over here is 15% of the value and then 14% Vat on that (the total) and then 14% vat on the total of those two, then add shipping costs
So in all we get milked a bit ....... but then again we only have 4 million tax payers supporting 56 million hungry mouths. so guys who have toys houses and big boats ( some with helicopters on board) pay almost 80% tax in SA I don't care how they sugar coat the pill because our minister of fashion I mean minister of finance tells us it's only 49%

But we still live here cos we can drive fast

Old 05-18-2017, 07:29 PM
drivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the rough
I had a $3,000 + order held for ransom until I ponied up a $113 duty.

CRIMINALS!

Old 05-18-2017, 07:42 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Capt Greg...evening...try in the future having the products shipped to a business address...less problems...
if possible use the business accounts UPS or whatever shipper they use as lower shipping charges and billed to that account seems to clear quicker.

We seldom let our vendors use their UPS account saves having the vendor add service handling or jacking the freight higher...plus we still get our discounted rates...

Any products shipped to a residence even if a business is charged more by shippers...actual business location is cheaper and moved quicker...
Good luck...it will get to you just not as quick all these replies from the forum...haha

Old 05-19-2017, 08:45 AM
Still waiting!!!

Old 05-19-2017, 10:50 AM
pikajew is on a distinguished road
I've ordered over $20,000 in parts from them for my project. Some come quickly, some get held up by 10 days. I've had to pay around $350-400 in customs fees, but overall, it's worth it to me because the parts here would have cost over $40k. Good luck.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:47 PM
OMG, cleared. FINALLY!!!

Best word of advice when dealing with customs is patience, patience, patience.

They classed my shipment as a cycle (motor cycle). Hence, it went to the wrong area.

Finally, after realizing they had more than enough paperwork (including my dang SS#), the customs officer decided to..... clear my package.

So between spending the last few weeks going back-and-forth between DHL and customs my parts are about to be delivered.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.