Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Clutch for V8's from Aston Martin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 06:15 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
If the info I just received stays true:
-Expected release date is the end of June.
-Kits include clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder (if not included by the factory, I'll be adding in the miscellaneous bolts and whatnot).
-Pricing is going to be extremely competitive.
-A new torque tube is needed for MY14+ cars due to a change in the design of a spacer. AML offers a core exchange for this along with a modest upcharge. Not required for MY13 and earlier.

On one hand, I'm surprised an AMR-branded part is going to be reasonably priced. But on the other hand it isn't a surprise that Aston is using this as an opportunity to reinforce the reputation of these cars (weak point is the clutch, *boom* here's the fix).
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
Ask them if it chatters
The V12 clutch in the VAP/DAE kit is an OEM unit (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I don't see why AML wouldn't do the same thing and reuse existing parts, rather than reinvent the [fly]wheel. Well, clutch and flywheel. So if there's a chattering issue with the OEM clutch in the VAP/DAE kit, I don't see how it would be any different with the AMR kit. For what it's worth, I heard chattering twice when I first installed the VAP/DAE kit on my grey car, and haven't heard it since. I'm really wondering if the chattering is a hit-or-miss issue with the clutches.

The flywheel in the AMR kit isn't a new design, either. It looks like the same one used on GT4s (I saw one in person last year). I think VAP/DAE have their own flywheel design (again, I could be wrong). So, all things considered, I think the AMR kit is going to be an ensemble of existing parts from the V12 and GT4.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:03 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
It was a dumb joke. 2 AM techs have ridden in it and told me it's just "common" as well as squawk [which evidently I don't have because I don't hear geese], but, common means, yea, you're the unlucky sod. When 1 in 3 does something, it's common, but that means 2 out of 3 were just fine.

When I called DC for the quote to install [$3800!] after he quoted he rethought and said, "wait, we have to send the torque tube out to be milled to accept the clutch", they had installed one on the owners personal car, which was a 14'. So that AM is doing a core swap on the tube is a really cool thing.

If they're determined to solve the issue of the poor V8 clutch will only bear out if they use this setup on the NEW Vantage. I just wish we knew what it looked like!

Old 06-09-2017, 09:47 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
It says alot for a company that offers updated accessories to products that are discontinued (or soon to be). When AM offered the power pack and sport pack on 4.3 cars after the 4.7 was released, they went beyond what they needed to do, and now they're offering a clutch that fits the older cars better than current products. Gotta love these guys!

Old 06-09-2017, 09:52 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
You could also say they're 11 years overdue

I believe the Power Pack became available when they made the N400.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:49 AM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
Subscribed. Would love to have a lighter clutch but don't want any noise

Old 06-09-2017, 11:17 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
You could also say they're 11 years overdue

I believe the Power Pack became available when they made the N400.
I wouldn't say that at all.

They don't need to offer any of these items to customers who already own the car. The power pack was only available as a swap after the N400 had reached production end and the 4.7 had been introduced.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/aston...-vantage-3166/

Old 06-09-2017, 09:34 PM
A little knowledge is a bad thing on a forum, when I'm wrong. Apologies.

They want to be in the parts business, and help their dealers service departments make money they were losing. I do not see it as an altruistic gesture but as a great business decision. A fair percentage of authorized AM dealers will only install factory parts so won't install the aftermarket V12 clutch, they know there is money going elsewhere, and quite a bit of it as many of us have the VAP. The reps have been told many times by service managers, and the rep said they were working on it, here it is. An option every dealer can order and install, keeping a nice chunk of the market in the family. At competitive pricing I see the factory solution as a more attractive option, I would think many others would also. I just wish they had it 6 months ago so I could moan about the *factory* clutch chattering

Old 06-10-2017, 05:19 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
A little knowledge is a bad thing on a forum, when I'm wrong. Apologies.

They want to be in the parts business, and help their dealers service departments make money they were losing. I do not see it as an altruistic gesture but as a great business decision. A fair percentage of authorized AM dealers will only install factory parts so won't install the aftermarket V12 clutch, they know there is money going elsewhere, and quite a bit of it as many of us have the VAP. The reps have been told many times by service managers, and the rep said they were working on it, here it is. An option every dealer can order and install, keeping a nice chunk of the market in the family. At competitive pricing I see the factory solution as a more attractive option, I would think many others would also. I just wish they had it 6 months ago so I could moan about the *factory* clutch chattering
Agreed. Aston is not being altruistic, they could have solved the clutch problem ten years ago. They let this problem fester until an independent works team solved the problem using AM dual clutch parts. They now see an opportunity to bolster the dealers parts margin by offering an authorized AM solution. Make no mistake, the price only seems competitive when compared to the current dual clutch solution. IMHO they are both overpriced.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:41 AM
I hope it's obvious that Aston, and any other company that hopes to stay in business is offering products in order to make money. Let's move on.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:19 AM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
This is an interesting solution! The lightweight clutch and flywheel will most likely be my next upgrade. Can't wait for the exact pricing and weight comparison between this and the DAE solution to surface.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:56 AM
LotusJPS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by goto35
manual only or SS as well?
I'm curious about that as well. Would love better shifting with the SS.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:16 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Ok. I have some numbers, based on today's releases.

US $4,830 (including tax; apparently VAT)
UK 2,760 Sterling (including tax)
(Product Code(s): 6G33-11-10821; 6G33-11-10797) Not sure which is which, but these are definitely for either the Manual or the Sport Shift.

Redpants.lol, care to chime in?

Old 06-13-2017, 07:28 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
I'm going to list it for far less so long as the pricing I was given stays true.

Product codes are for MY13 and earlier vs MY14 and later. MY14 requires a different torque tube, so there's a core exchange plus ~$350.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:11 AM
dougn1 is an unknown quantity at this point
im shopping an 09 or 10 manual. whats the price estimate for parts only? seems like a clutch job should be pretty easy since you don't have to wrestle the transmission. is this the case?

Last edited by dougn1; 06-21-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:26 AM
http://www.redpants.lol/shop/amr-clutchflywheel-package

You'll find the job a bit more complicated. Pull the axles, drop the tranny, pull at least part of the exhaust with one header, pull the torque tube and driveshaft, and then you can change the clutch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Clutch for V8's from Aston Martin