Calling BS on this one - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models
Sponsored by: Bamford Rose

Calling BS on this one

Old 06-20-2017, 11:29 AM
Basic Sponsor

Redpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond repute
Calling BS on this one

I'm waving the "bullsh:t!!!" flag on this.

"Palmer, who joined Aston Martin from Nissan Motor Co in late 2014, said the company knows of 21 instances of potential sudden engine stall, all in China."

We've been complaining about these issues for a long time, this isn't some new China-only issue.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN19B227
[email protected]
Old 06-20-2017, 11:43 AM

Dalecannavan will become famous soon enoughDalecannavan will become famous soon enough
That is worrying. Has anyone ever heard of this for other markets?
Old 06-20-2017, 11:45 AM
Basic Sponsor

Redpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond repute
They're doing a global recall, but blaming it on lack of clarity in the service instructions in China.
The problem is absolutely not limited to the Chinese market, they're just using that as an excuse. Pretty disappointed in AML over this, honestly.
[email protected]
Old 06-20-2017, 06:42 PM

Aldv is on a distinguished road
Yup...it seems the USA is not as important to AM as at one time it was.

113 cars in China have problems and they jump to solve...

Yes...many many threads here and other sites have known of this...nothing done. I guess if you flip this ...better now than never...thanks for posting
Old 06-21-2017, 08:35 AM

sonies will become famous soon enough
"The recall will cover 1,658 Vantage cars built between June 2010 and September 2013 with the Sportshift I and Sportshift II automated manual transmission gearboxes, including 113 that were sold in China. The Vantage is the only Aston Martin model with a semi-manual shift."

SS1 and 2 only looks like, they said in the article that China is 8% of their market... could it be that the NTSB in the US dropped the ball or was working too slow?

I mean hell, they just did a recall on 2011/12 958 cayenne's last week for variocam bolts that would fall off into the engine and explode it, stuff takes a long time for some reason
Old 06-21-2017, 10:32 AM

embdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonies View Post
"The recall will cover 1,658 Vantage cars built between June 2010 and September 2013 with the Sportshift I and Sportshift II automated manual transmission gearboxes, including 113 that were sold in China. The Vantage is the only Aston Martin model with a semi-manual shift."

SS1 and 2 only looks like, they said in the article that China is 8% of their market... could it be that the NTSB in the US dropped the ball or was working too slow?

I mean hell, they just did a recall on 2011/12 958 cayenne's last week for variocam bolts that would fall off into the engine and explode it, stuff takes a long time for some reason
If the recall covers 1658 cars, then I am pretty sure a significant number of those are in the US?
Old 06-21-2017, 01:33 PM

HabitualOffender is an unknown quantity at this point
The fix for the ASM cars was a software update [if Summit was right when they explained it], but when are they going to figure out why the manuals stall? I went 30 days of blissful driving after resetting the missfire corrections, then it stalls on me diving deep into a left hander with oncoming traffic last week. I only know it';s stalled as the steering goes heavy, hand on the stick downshifting immediately to the wheel to crank it around and get it turned in. Then that night it stalls backing out of a parking spot, put in first, dash is a christmas tree. Always at idle.

Took it in for service Monday, find nothing except the missfire corrections are still stored so that is not the issue.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:00 PM

Aldv is on a distinguished road
Hi...I am not sure that AM is marketing to the US market or care...the article stated only 3300 cars manufactured and sold in 2016...while many here discuss vantage model...this is not all vantages all models...

The overseas market is becoming wealthier so they target them I believe...

H-O...sorry to hear...while I can not remember exactly..
There is a few threads where serious stalling...I think a guy in North Jersey posted...I do not remember exact thread...

I hope you find the answer..you have a nice car..
Good luck
Old 06-22-2017, 11:10 AM

sonies will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldv View Post
Hi...I am not sure that AM is marketing to the US market or care...the article stated only 3300 cars manufactured and sold in 2016...while many here discuss vantage model...this is not all vantages all models...

The overseas market is becoming wealthier so they target them I believe...

H-O...sorry to hear...while I can not remember exactly..
There is a few threads where serious stalling...I think a guy in North Jersey posted...I do not remember exact thread...

I hope you find the answer..you have a nice car..
Good luck
Stupid move if you ask me, US still has the most money...
Old 06-22-2017, 03:05 PM

flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Engine stalls in intersection, potential stalls at cruise speeds

I too have had stalls while driving. Not often but in an intersection making a left hand turn into lanes of traffic is most memorable, but not in a good way.

I have also sensed likely stalls through a softness/hesitation in the rate of cruise...when engine performance is affected; either flood or starve? Recognizing a potential stall I simultaneously stab the clutch and throttle pedals which overcomes the problem, like clearing its throat, and keep on motoring.

I think the problem is in the gas tank. I may be sharing a problem Tellum corrected on his grey car 2 or 3 years ago. On his car an internal rubber hose, a part of its fuel vapor recovery system, was rubbing over a sharp pipe edge. Eventually it failed and split due to motion and vibration. He had an AM dealer mechanic do the repair, he photoed the process and presented it in this Forum.

I too have an early car. This may be an issue common to other Vantages. Perhaps its scope is limited by date/serial number when the system was modified.

Do others have, or have had, this problem? If so it should be the subject of a recall campaign. A stall while driving, or sensing the inevitability of a stall and having to react to it, can be a dangerous surprise.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:30 PM

I just stalled pulling into my driveway. Got the "Engine Stalled" message I rarely see and watched it do the "system check" while I coasted up the drive.

I've stalled just sitting at a stop light or sitting in traffic where fuel evap would not come into play.

The only reason they did a recall on the ASM cars is because they have a fix, and even though they've had a fix it took China to make them do a recall. They know there's a stall problem with these manual cars also, but I don't think they have a clue what causes it.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:30 AM

Mathman85 is a jewel in the roughMathman85 is a jewel in the roughMathman85 is a jewel in the rough
Just an update for everyone on this, now that I know more information:

I emailed corporate Aston Martin with a link to the thread on here discussing manual models stalling. I received a response within a half hour that they believe the issue they found is limited to the sportshift models (the fix, according to my dealership, was a software update + a tube for the clutch hydraulics), but that they were going to have someone reach out to me to look into it further. I got a call from my local dealership (who were unable to replicate the issue while under warranty, unfortunately), and they requested that I give them the car for a few days for diagnostics. I dropped it off last week and they pulled all the data from the car, sent it to Aston Martin, and installed an update. I am to report back to them with the results.

So the good news is that corporate is aware that there are manual owners who have had this issue (when the dealerships can't replicate it, corporate probably never hears about it), and they are putting at least some effort into investigating it.

With that said, it was not a hugely common issue on my car--it has probably only happened to me ten times in the 15 months I've owned the car (and more than 12k miles I've put on it)--so I'll have to drive the car for quite a bit to know if the problem is actually resolved. For me, it only ever occurred after coming off throttle (during decel with the clutch in or while inching forward in traffic or a parking lot), and I was able to change how I modulated the throttle to prevent it from happening.

When I hear anything else, I'll follow up.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:07 PM

Math, I didn't know you had some experience with this, and yours sounds like mine in how it presents. Always off gas, clutch in. I've thought alot about changing the way I drive to eliminate many of them but that would not fix the problem, just get it to present less.

FCK wrote to Gayden for advice and asked me to leave the car for a week so they could try and replicate it. They had not heard back from them when I stopped in last week. If I can be of help my car stalls more often and could rule out any fix that doesn't work fairly quick. Since it started again it has stalled 4 times in 3 weeks.

Before restoring missfire correction factors, which I believe worked to some degree as it went 30 days without a stall, but ie. April it stalled 7 times alone.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:19 PM

Make that 5 times, it just stalled rolling to the stop at the end of my street.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:56 PM

terminal_ac is a name known to allterminal_ac is a name known to allterminal_ac is a name known to allterminal_ac is a name known to allterminal_ac is a name known to allterminal_ac is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender View Post
Make that 5 times, it just stalled rolling to the stop at the end of my street.
Please see this thread. I had this problem when my car was originally delivered.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ice-light.html

Also had a damaged airbox replaced, which only revealed itself after the front quarter was replaced. Car hasn't shown any signs of stalling since.

Last edited by terminal_ac; 07-02-2017 at 06:02 PM.