Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Should I buy: Electric Supercharger for my DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 02:30 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Should I buy: Electric Supercharger for my DB9

Thinking this could help out with the low gas mileage these cars get and possibly some extra HP. Manufacturer says customers see between 15hp and 60hp for adding just one of these. I would need to add two, so could possibly see up to 120HP increase with little to no weight gained in the installation. Just seeing what others would suggest. They are electrically driven to over 20k rpm computer guided fans, so must be ok I would think. Should also be simple to pop them in place of the current air filters, then run the wires to a switch on the dash. Probably could find a toggle switch at Auto Zone that would work. Company offers discounts for when you have to buy two like I would. That would help. But they are only $199 ea so in the end probably worth it. Let me know your thoughts. Company says you don't need a performance chip or tune, but if you did get one, the supercharger would be even better. Just think if you made it a 10psi kit, that would give even more HP

Electric Supercharger 5 PSI Vortex
The GTE 5 PSI Supercharger™ Includes:
900 Watt Motor
Safely generates over 5 PSI of boost
Computer Guided, Laser Cut 10 Blade Turbine
Spooling @ 20,000 RPMs+
Maximum Boost in less than 1/10 of a second
2” – 3.5” Rubber Couplers
High-Flow Air Filter
Step-by-step Installation Guide
Heavy Duty Securing Clamps

Can work with:
· Vehicles with Factory Air Box with modifications
· Vehicles with aftermarket air intake setups
· Vehicles with dual air intake setups *requires two superchargers

Gain up to 60HP! The GTE Electric Supercharger™ is based on years of technology development in electric superchargers. Using your vehicles electrical system safely, the GTE can add substantial amount of air flow into your engine. More air pressure in your engine, the more horsepower you will make. Unlike turbo systems, which have a lag before producing horsepower, our electric supercharger gives you immediate response.
Other superchargers and turbo kits require extensive engine modifications. They also add extra weight to your vehicle. Our electric supercharger weights in less than 5 lbs. They also require serious engine software modifications. Our product can work on factory computer settings or even with our performance chip modifications for even better performance.

Last edited by SheriffDep; 08-27-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:17 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
My answer is No.
Draining juice from a 12 volt system is simply not enough. It's a zero loss game, you simply cannot create free horsepower.
From what I understand the current 12 volt battery lacks the ability to repeatly generate lots of power quickly. You would probably need a super capacitor to store current and then release on demand. In addition some type of regeneration system to restore the capacitor, ( under braking?) A cars alternator would not be enough.
Note the these systems, usually combined with turbocharging, require some variation of the above design parameters

Old 08-27-2017, 04:48 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
That kit you show in the pics is a cheap kit, there are some serious electric kits available that do work.
The new Audi and BMW run electric turbos or chargers from what I understand
But you can't have pub bragging rights IMO if you have a battery charged turbo or supercharger

Like being on a hot date and confessing to the cougar that your impotent..... can't see this working

Old 08-27-2017, 05:26 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by captain Greg
That kit you show in the pics is a cheap kit, there are some serious electric kits available that do work.
The new Audi and BMW run electric turbos or chargers from what I understand
But you can't have pub bragging rights IMO if you have a battery charged turbo or supercharger

Like being on a hot date and confessing to the cougar that your impotent..... can't see this working
LOL I just wish I could come up with the Cougar or Skirt lines that you do----Hilarious---- I was in a joking mood tonight, and was bored at work. I watched some Ricer youtube video showing various wings and then saw this in a clip where the guy was saying his VTEC Honda motor with this item made like 400hp. I was so shocked I had to look it up. So then trolled it here as a joke for my car. Was just being humorous or at least trying to be.

Didn't expect people to be nice about this and actually give some info, figured I would bring out the ------your an idiot postings that would be somewhat humorous. So played up the part about 120hp. I know there are people who actually think this stuff, so tried to write it in that way. Wasn't easy. LOL

Last edited by SheriffDep; 08-27-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:29 AM
vince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nice
Old 08-28-2017, 11:11 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
yeah i was just about to post that video.... those things are TOTAL BULLCRAP!

Old 08-28-2017, 11:19 AM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by vince_1972
+1. Completely absurd concept with what's available in the market.

Let's do some math. I'm going to leave out any discussions of volumetric efficiency, for simplicity.

The AM V12 is about 6L. Since it's a four-stroke gasoline engine, that means it'll displace about 3L of air every rotation. At 3k rpm (when things start to get exciting), that means the engine can consume up to 3000*3L = 9000L (a little over 19k cubic feet of air) per minute. For perspective, if the rooms in your house have 8ft ceilings, that'd be a room that's 49x49, every minute. And that's only at 3k rpm... it's double that at 6k.

Turbos and superchargers spin at absurd speeds to be able to augment that amount of airflow (up to 280,000 rpm for turbos, according to Garrett). Today's electric motors that run off 12V systems cannot do it... the ad you were looking at was advertising 20k rpm... that's only 1/14th of a turbo's speeds.

Sorry to disappoint. If adding hp were that easy, manufacturers would be using them.

P.S. No, Audi and BMW are not using electric superchargers. The last I heard of it, BMW was experimenting with using an electric motor to pre-spool turbos to reduce lag... the exhaust gasses and normal turbo arrangements take over from there.

Last edited by Mathman85; 08-28-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:00 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mathman85
+1. Completely absurd concept with what's available in the market.

Let's do some math. I'm going to leave out any discussions of volumetric efficiency, for simplicity.

The AM V12 is about 6L. Since it's a four-stroke gasoline engine, that means it'll displace about 3L of air every rotation. At 3k rpm (when things start to get exciting), that means the engine can consume up to 3000*3L = 9000L (a little over 19k cubic feet of air) per minute. For perspective, if the rooms in your house have 8ft ceilings, that'd be a room that's 49x49, every minute. And that's only at 3k rpm... it's double that at 6k.

Turbos and superchargers spin at absurd speeds to be able to augment that amount of airflow (up to 280,000 rpm for turbos, according to Garrett). Today's electric motors that run off 12V systems cannot do it... the ad you were looking at was advertising 20k rpm... that's only 1/14th of a turbo's speeds.

Sorry to disappoint. If adding hp were that easy, manufacturers would be using them.

P.S. No, Audi and BMW are not using electric superchargers. The last I heard of it, BMW was experimenting with using an electric motor to pre-spool turbos to reduce lag... the exhaust gasses and normal turbo arrangements take over from there.
Very useful post! Thanks
Regarding my chirp on BMW and Audi using electric fans forgive me I have never owned the brands ( and have no intention to lower my standards to experience the brands) however my neighbor at home ( the one who has snap on tool cabinets in his garage filled with Prada and Victoria secret underwear) tells me his new Porsche I think it's a 718? Has two electric turbos but I may be incorrect I also have no interest in those little cars

Old 08-28-2017, 02:57 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Turbo speeds yet but superchargers no

My experience with superchargers are that they move at pretty slow speeds jamming air down the engine's throat for instant explosive power, The 6-71 I had on our Porsche you could see the belt moving and it was not that fast - so maybe speed is not equally important when the mechanism is not the same as a turbo? No expert here - just a thought.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Porschestee2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	511603  
Old 08-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
My experience with superchargers are that they move at pretty slow speeds jamming air down the engine's throat for instant explosive power, The 6-71 I had on our Porsche you could see the belt moving and it was not that fast - so maybe speed is not equally important when the mechanism is not the same as a turbo? No expert here - just a thought.
First off, that's a roots type blower (or maybe a twin-screw), which is entirely different from a turbo or a centrifugal supercharger. That uses lobes that essentially pack air into the engine, whereas turbos and centrifugal superchargers (and those little electric fans) use impeller wheels.

On a [centrifugal] supercharger, the speed of the pulley is not the same as the speed of the wheel. The pulley is attached to a large gear, which turns a much smaller gear inside that's attached to the impeller.

Here's a cutaway from procharger:

https://www.procharger.com/centrifugal-supercharger

Centrifugal superchargers, based on my quick search, also spool to over 100k rpm... more than 5x what the electric one was advertising.

Originally Posted by captain Greg
my neighbor at home ( the one who has snap on tool cabinets in his garage filled with Prada and Victoria secret underwear) tells me his new Porsche I think it's a 718? Has two electric turbos but I may be incorrect I also have no interest in those little cars
The 718s are turbo... just regular, old-fashioned, turbo... the way Porsche has been doing it for decades. If he thinks it's electric, that's simply because the car itself sounds like a vacuum cleaner. (That's a quote from a Porsche salesman, by the way.)

Last edited by Mathman85; 08-28-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:17 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
1 rev of that 6-71 displaces more air than your motor does in 2 revs (7L vs 5L). That's why it doesn't need to spin very fast to augment the motor's capacity.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:35 AM
Holy cow! What great information and understanding my stupid attempt at a joke brought upon us. Thank guys, this is information I have never read anywhere and its interesting just to know and kinda understand.

Greg-----as usual the quip about neighbors Snap On underwear drawer = LMAO

Old 08-29-2017, 10:40 AM
A winking smiley goes a long way in letting us know you're joking.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't know much about making horsepower, so those products do sell. When I was working at Ultimate Z (a speed shop specializing in Nissan/Datsun Z cars), I had a customer call to ask if some other parts worked with his Tornado intake kit on his 300ZX. I asked how those were working for him, and he was enthusiastic about his description of what was, without question, a placebo effect--more power, better gas mileage, etc. I then explained that it's physically impossible for it to work, since air spinning near the filter will not magically continue to spin through the throttle bodies, down each of the intake runners, and also past the intake valves. He didn't buy anything from me.

Last edited by Mathman85; 08-29-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:44 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
There is supercharger options for the V8's - anybody do anything turbo or supercharger for the V12's?

Old 08-29-2017, 03:43 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
There is supercharger options for the V8's - anybody do anything turbo or supercharger for the V12's?
Where would you fit the turbos or super chargers in your engine bay?

Graze

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.