Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Reality of driving an AM as a non-manual driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 12:10 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Finding a DB9 in a manual is no easy task. A Vantage is more important to have manual than a DB.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:02 PM
FR500GT will become famous soon enoughFR500GT will become famous soon enough
Bumping an old thread instead of creating another new one.

I’m in the market for an 06-09 V8 Vantage and I’m still undecided which way to go. I’ve owned 4 manual sports cars and 2 paddle ZF auto transmissions and both have their benefits. I recently test drove both a 2007 4.3 manual and a 2009 4.7 sportshift over the weekend and I’m still torn between the two. Manual seems like the way to go on the V8V but the sportshift was more aggressive then I thought it was going to be. I’m not sure if I love or hate the hard (but delayed) shifts on full acceleration. I also have been trying to do more research to REALLY understand the differences between the 06-08 4.3 and the 09+ 4.7 engines. Any major differences in reliability between the two engines and two transmissions?

Any input appreciated! I know this topic has been beat to death and I’ll continue doing my research...

Old 09-03-2018, 04:02 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by FR500GT
Bumping an old thread instead of creating another new one.

I’m in the market for an 06-09 V8 Vantage and I’m still undecided which way to go. I’ve owned 4 manual sports cars and 2 paddle ZF auto transmissions and both have their benefits. I recently test drove both a 2007 4.3 manual and a 2009 4.7 sportshift over the weekend and I’m still torn between the two. Manual seems like the way to go on the V8V but the sportshift was more aggressive then I thought it was going to be. I’m not sure if I love or hate the hard (but delayed) shifts on full acceleration. I also have been trying to do more research to REALLY understand the differences between the 06-08 4.3 and the 09+ 4.7 engines. Any major differences in reliability between the two engines and two transmissions?

Any input appreciated! I know this topic has been beat to death and I’ll continue doing my research...
There should be no difference to the engines between the transmissions.

4.3 --- power band higher up in the RPM
4.7 --- power band lower in the RPM

Thats what I have gathered from all the readings on here. (I have manual DB9) But driven all of them lightly.

I think the clutch will last longer on the manual transmissions, albeit just a bit. Clutch replacement I also think is the same price and I think the same clutch.

Others should advise on this also, but I think the manual cars will hold value better, or at least sell faster when that time comes.

Hope this helps

Old 09-03-2018, 04:22 PM
FR500GT will become famous soon enoughFR500GT will become famous soon enough
Thanks for your input as well!

Old 09-04-2018, 06:49 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I am in love with the automatic on my Rapide once I installed the remote valve control. It totally transforms the car and makes the paddles in manual mode a real hoot to drive. I like they way it shifts up and down much better than my friend's Maserati GranSport which has such a fancy transmission. With the valves open it's just like a manual; listening and feeling when to shift. With the valves closed, it is much harder to get that same sense. FWIW, don't compare the way Aston did the ZF with other marques. On my Jags, manual mode was a waste of time; not on the Aston! The rev matching it does on downshifts is just wicked.

I am more into the paddles now that I ever was since getting the Rapide.