Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Service Nightmare Scenario - New Aston owner lookking for help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 10:48 AM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
I'd show the dealer this thread. Ask them how a bunch of garage monkeys figured it out in a few posts?

Old 10-31-2017, 01:45 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all

welcome to the forum, hope you get your car sorted so you can enjoy it

its not uncommon for the emission service light to come on after a service - often with about 6 driving cycles (turn on, drive somewhere, turnoff) it will clear itself as it is probably an O2 sensor adjusting

happened on mine lats service

Graeme

Old 10-31-2017, 01:56 PM
AstonNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
+1 I agree. I would also CC that email to the Dealer. Although you said you wouldn't return to the dealer again, just be prepared to be blackballed from getting work done there again. NOT seen this with a AM dealer, but this has happened multiple times for warranty items for AMGs with MB.

I would claim incompetence by the dealer for a issue that is extremely common. Its either incompetence or blatantly not informing you of the actual issue to get you to purchase and have them install parts not needed. Any car that has been sold from a dealer having intermittent lights on dash or issues MOST LIKLEY has a low battery causing the problem. I mean that is so common knowledge I am shocked to hear dealers still not EVER mentioning that as the first thing to try. Yes, this comes up on here as questions many times.

Thanks for posting back, and also let us know what happens when you contact the dealer or Andy. Would be interested to hear how they resolve it.
Here's the kicker --- Not only did they not ever mention it, when I suggested it and asked them to check the born on date of the battery, they actually DISCOURAGED me from doing that. It went something like this:

Me - "Hey I have been researching the issue a bit and why don't we check the born on date of the battery while we troubleshoot. If it is the original battery I want to replace it."
Service Rep - "OK, I'll talk to my tech and get back to you"
Service Rep - (call back 10 minutes later) "I talked to my tech and he said that the battery is an expensive item to replace and we can;t guaranty that will fix the issue."
Me - "Did you check the date? If its the original I want to replace it."
Service Rep - "No. I will have him check it and call you back."

And then we find out it was indeed the original battery ----- My confidence completely eroded at this point and I just wanted to get my car out of there.

Put another 60 miles on it today for a lunch meeting on the outskirts of town, no issue or warning lights.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:18 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by AstonNewbie
Here's the kicker --- Not only did they not ever mention it, when I suggested it and asked them to check the born on date of the battery, they actually DISCOURAGED me from doing that. It went something like this:

Me - "Hey I have been researching the issue a bit and why don't we check the born on date of the battery while we troubleshoot. If it is the original battery I want to replace it."
Service Rep - "OK, I'll talk to my tech and get back to you"
Service Rep - (call back 10 minutes later) "I talked to my tech and he said that the battery is an expensive item to replace and we can;t guaranty that will fix the issue."
Me - "Did you check the date? If its the original I want to replace it."
Service Rep - "No. I will have him check it and call you back."

And then we find out it was indeed the original battery ----- My confidence completely eroded at this point and I just wanted to get my car out of there.

Put another 60 miles on it today for a lunch meeting on the outskirts of town, no issue or warning lights.
See I am not a bad guy Did you see what I posted about the other thread? That is what normally happens, but I jumped the gun on yours wrongly.

My buddy owns a high end used dealership and thats one of the reasons I fell in love with a AM. Vantages to begin with. I had driven 3x of them working out the financials before I bought. But, EVERY one of them had Check Engine lights on them. Really, every one of them. When I inquired about the first two, i was a NEWB and they said it was the O2 sensors and they were waiting for new ones to come in and be installed and the light would go away.

Well after buying my DB9 and reading many many threads on here; dealing with my friends Maserati and Bentley doing the christmas light dash; I learned really quick it was just the batteries causing the problems. Something to do with a battery having enough to start the motor, but voltage wise not enough or flowing enough for the electronics. Hence the various multiple light issues.

Enough gets posted as in your question so the first replies always say replace battery.

Sorry for your dealer troubles. Read all Vantage threads on here one rainy day, and you will know all there needs to be for when something goes haywire. Then you can specifically ask here, then go to dealer for that specific repair, unless you attempt yourself.

I am happy you replied and gave great information to others who may be in Texas about that dealer.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:14 AM
SpongeBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine did the same thing. All it needed was a software update. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:41 PM
Denver V8V is an unknown quantity at this point
I just purchased a CTEK 4.3 for my V8V and I'm going through threads trying to learn if you just leave it plugged into the car for weeks or months until you're ready to drive, or unplug it after a few days. Let me know that you guys do.

That said, I experienced 2 issues for which this thread confirms. One was the emissions warning came on and after reading through the threads it turned out that it was due to my crazy acceleration and it had to wait for the system to sense my driving habits. After about 20 cycles of engaging the ignition it went off. (Thank you to this forum for saving me $$$$ and not having to go to the dealer)

The other one was when I used my battery powered air compressor to fill a low tire plugged into the outlet in the car. The window on the passenger side would not open slightly to allow the car door to open (convertible) when I unlocked the door. It turned out that when I used my compressor I lowered the battery strength. Once I drove the car and battery fully recharged, the window worked fine.

I didn't know a low or old the battery could cause such havoc.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:44 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Denver V8V
I just purchased a CTEK 4.3 for my V8V and I'm going through threads trying to learn if you just leave it plugged into the car for weeks or months until you're ready to drive, or unplug it after a few days. Let me know that you guys do.
I leave mine connected, the CTEK self regulates, no need to disconnect it once the light goes green showing a full charge.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:48 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Leave the CTEK connected. I had it connected for 3+ months once and car started like it was left idle for a week.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:55 PM
Denver V8V is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you 62Jeff and Brightoncorgi. Will do

Old 01-05-2018, 12:55 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
I use a CTEK 7002 that I leave plugged in at all times.

It has multiple modes, and I was instructed to use the 14.7V "Snowflake" mode vs the "normal" 14.4V mode

For the life of me, I can't remember why, but I'm using a Duracell battery after my OEM gave up the ghost and forced me to become a contortionist to swap it out :-)

Old 01-05-2018, 07:09 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hey Sonies...I was reading this threat...please buy the key. If your battery goes bad when in a parking lot etc...not home. You will regret as No easy way to jump your car or even have it towed.

​​​​​​AM bits does it from your vin....just a thought.

Newbie...I hope it works out for you. Generally these cars are good if the prior owner(s) did maintenance.

I have been lucky in over 7500 miles bought at 27000 miles now over 34000 miles...one 02 sensor... thermostat...and just serving required. I will pass on what I was told by smart people. Base service on Years...not miles! If it states certain items be done for year of service..do it unless you know done prior.
​​​​​​
Good Luck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.