Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Future Shock - EV's and Autonomous Cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:11 PM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
Future Shock - EV's and Autonomous Cars

Ok, so you all are a bunch of intelligent automobile enthusiasts who love to drive fast cars often on the edge.

So I saw this article about Bob Lutz who is predicting the end of the automobile as we know it. He says we are in the Golden Age of automobiles and that the party is going to end around 2037 give or take a few years.

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/11/8/Ex-GM-Exec-Expect-The-Golden-Era-Of-The-Automobile-To-End-By-2037-7741879/

My best friend sent me a Youtube Video that was a presentation by a Stanford guy who is predicting the same thing. Only he goes into the economics of how a fleet of self driving cars, sold as a service, will drive the cost down by a factor of 10 over what it costs to own a car. Imagine having all your transportation needs handled for about $1K per year.

It is a long video. It will take an hour to watch. The argument is compelling. It is definitely worth the investment of your time.

Here is the link to the video:

I am interested in hearing your thoughts on the subject. Aston has announced a shift to electric and will build the Rapide-E as their first electric.
Every manufacturer has announced electrics coming.

It is interesting times we get to live in.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 11-08-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:16 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Interesting times indeed, and the guy is brilliant, but there are huge holes in several of his arguments and he has a very urban view of the future of the automobile. But he also gives me hope that our emissions as a world are going to decrease exponentially within his predictions which is the best news I heard.

I also see the power of the oil energy swamp keeping their thumb on the regulatory scale and that will be the toughest nut for tech to crack. They'll have to spend as much in DC as the oil industry to break the monopoly. Just because something makes economic sense doesn't mean it will be allowed to take over. Just look at the perpetual engine as an example.

But there will still be ICE cars as long as there is a network of gas stations, and I'll still be driving my V8V until I can't get gas, or parts for it. Just as I'm sure the majority of this board would do, if their wives don't wear the pants

Passion for driving can't be eliminated just because it doesn't make fiscal sense. But I can see a day in 2030 when the major debate will be if they have to make human driving illegal because the only car accidents and deaths are caused by human error.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:40 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
Passion for driving can't be eliminated just because it doesn't make fiscal sense. But I can see a day in 2030 when the major debate will be if they have to make human driving illegal because the only car accidents and deaths are caused by human error.
Ha! Don't forget, we are supposed to be in flying cars already. Can you imagine that. We can't even go down a well marked road without hitting things. Imagine the masses turned loose in the sky with no markers to follow.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:10 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Old phart
Ha! Don't forget, we are supposed to be in flying cars already. Can you imagine that. We can't even go down a well marked road without hitting things. Imagine the masses turned loose in the sky with no markers to follow.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't Tony that did the prediction of when we'd be in flying cars, because you have to have the tech in place to make it happen and that's not going to happen on ICE. Maybe Trump will release the Area 51 files next

That said did you see the Uber Air spot on CNN yesterday?

Old 11-09-2017, 10:57 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
we already have semi autonomous cars and fully autonomous are testing now, yeah I can see in 20 years we will not be driving ourselves. They have had fully autonomous farm equipment for years and Rolls Royce is working on doing it for shipping. Commercial planes can pretty much fly themselves.

Good thing is it will make rush hour a LOT less stressful.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:23 PM
Not sure if you saw announcement....

Uber teams up with NASA to build air traffic control system for flying Taxis.

https://www.space.com/38722-uber-fly...c-control.html

Old 11-09-2017, 07:12 PM
That was the Uber Air I mentioned. And I surely hope any airborn Uber is going to be autonomous. If you've ever taken an Uber in NYC you'll know exactly what I'm talking about

On the other hand I've had some very chill drivers in LA!

Old 11-09-2017, 09:47 PM
VW and Google announcement, team up on Quantum Computing, EV's, Battery Technology, traffic optimization.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/v...g-partnership/

Old 11-13-2017, 07:53 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
EV's are a given in some form from all companies. But true electrics only will not be everyday till our electric grid is able to handle...which is way way off..
Next the government must put in place a replacement tax for the current fuel tax not easy for Congress to do. States must replace fuel tax to get money on EV cars...

Once they can charge us for these taxes...electric will be the new car of the future...my thoughts

Old 11-14-2017, 07:53 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
So......... Anyone know a good battery related company I can invest in to help pay for my next Aston? Apple was significant in my first purchase.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:27 AM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hey Old phart..hi...yea we all wish we bought Apple at $ 18.00..lol Not batteries but Paypal has been a big hit for me....my son likes a China ETF Knet I believe is the symbol. Internet stocks but not for the faint of heart--I bet!

I still like mutual funds even though out of favor currently...I am up around 22% plus so far this year in them. Damn I am an old phart too! haha

I lost too much money in China battery companies over the years.. I got killed in Cbat years ago.

I would stay with safe stuff you can unload so not to loss too much and unload quick if needed...just a few thoughts from another fellow forum member.. Safe driving!

Hey--do not buy just because I replied... But I know you are smarter then that!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.