Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2009 vantage coupe PPI results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 04:35 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
+1

I am willing to bet the $2100 would be only the cheap fix, unless they have figured a way to drop the motor and replace the gasket faster and easier.

Doesn't the V12 clutch from Stuart cost 4k or so? Then labor?

I thought the Stuart clutch plus install was close to what a dealer charged for the whole deal? So if that is the case, then the $3100 is most likely is just the disc. Then add in a couple grand more for the other MUST HAVE parts.

The owner of that car is SELLING it because he knows a 5k clutch is needed soon. He most likely didnt know about the seeping TCG. Either way, your in for 7-8k in repairs at some point in the future. Even if you don't do the TCG now, you most likely will in 10k miles or so when it starts weeping. Most of these cars get dumped right before a clutch is due or the TCG needs replacing. People don't want to spend the cash to repair, so they sell hoping the buyer doesn't know.

What is the ASKING PRICE for this 09 22k mile car?
the asking was mid 50's and accepted offer was low 40's

"Ft timing cover reseal … $2100.00 + tax (includes valve cover gaskets, spark plug seals and front crank seal)"

Old 11-03-2017, 08:20 PM
Lve2xlr8 is on a distinguished road
Low 40's for a 4.7 with 20k miles is an epic deal. I'd move forward as-is.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:55 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi...run from the car...this car was used heavy with launch control I bet...it burns the clutch out quick.
I have an 09 ASM...no leaks...original clutch at over 34000 miles third owner.

My thoughts are keep looking for a less beat car they are around. No matter how much money you put into this car...more will show up I bet. 09 were modified with the newer lighter flywheel- clutch system and the leaking a costly fix supposed to be corrected... surprised to hear.

My thoughts good luck

Old 11-04-2017, 07:11 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Had my timing cover gasket replaced by the dealer in Orlando, and I am pretty sure it was more than $2100.00
Might want to check that price, I believe it was more like $3k

Old 11-04-2017, 08:00 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Just looked at my bill from the Orlando dealer, who I recommend. The cost was $2657.00 for the timing cover gasket. BTW, the engine does not have to be removed. The entire front suspension is dropped to gain access to the front of the engine.
For those interested I have a link on my website detailing the process at.

http://bernardembden.com/am/timingcover/index.htm

Old 11-04-2017, 08:46 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by embdenb
Just looked at my bill from the Orlando dealer, who I recommend. The cost was $2657.00 for the timing cover gasket. BTW, the engine does not have to be removed. The entire front suspension is dropped to gain access to the front of the engine.
For those interested I have a link on my website detailing the process at.

http://bernardembden.com/am/timingcover/index.htm
I read your write up. very comprehensive. I thought since they included valve cover gaskets, spark plug seals and front crank seal, it would be pretty comprehensive. I spoke with Don Byrd, the Aston SA... Very knowledgeable.

The car also just had its 20,000 mile service in March , about 1,500 miles ago. So perhaps this weepage just started...?

They also charged me about $200 for the PPI where another dealer in Dallas wants $400. I think they may have also reduced their hourly charge rate.

It was $168/hour. When I was talking with them last year on another vantage, they were $189

Last edited by MRCW; 11-04-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:47 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Aldv
Hi...run from the car...this car was used heavy with launch control I bet...it burns the clutch out quick.

My thoughts are keep looking for a less beat car they are around. No matter how much money you put into this car...more will show up I bet. 09 were modified with the newer lighter flywheel- clutch system and the leaking a costly fix supposed to be corrected... surprised to hear.

My thoughts good luck
Can you give further insight to the car being used "heavy". Is there specific information you know about? Or, because the car has 85% run through the clutch in 22k miles you feel that it was used hard? Just trying to help clarify that for the buyer.

Low 40's seems like he wants it moved for a reason. Possibly knows its worth only around that plus a bit, but with the upcoming clutch and TCG leak he just wants it gone.

Just want to see others thoughts, Unless something is specifically known about the car it might be a fairly nice deal.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Aldv

My thoughts good luck
Thanks for thoughts...

Why do you think the car was wrung out? I've heard of clutches going bad from poor driving skills, alot of reverse or alot of stop and go traffic, etc.

The interior of the car is a 10, had a few leather dash panels replaced. The undercarriage and panels were clean and not scratched up and the suspension compenets looked as original and very clean. I was able to observe and walk around and under the car during the PPI

Old 11-04-2017, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Can you give further insight to the car being used "heavy". Is there specific information you know about? Or, because the car has 85% run through the clutch in 22k miles you feel that it was used hard? Just trying to help clarify that for the buyer.

Low 40's seems like he wants it moved for a reason. Possibly knows its worth only around that plus a bit, but with the upcoming clutch and TCG leak he just wants it gone.

Just want to see others thoughts, Unless something is specifically known about the car it might be a fairly nice deal.
Its a private owner, He just got a new BMW i8 and he has some business deals he wants to pursue and needs some cash (at least that's what he told me)

Old 11-04-2017, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by MRCW
I read your write up. very comprehensive. I thought since they included valve cover gaskets, spark plug seals and front crank seal, it would be pretty comprehensive. I spoke with Don Byrd, the Aston SA... Very knowledgeable.

They also charged me about $200 for the PPI where another dealer in Dallas wants $400. I think they may have also reduced their hourly charge rate.
Based on my experience with the Orlando dealer, I highly recommend them.

Not that my price also includes an oil change and tax.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:07 PM
Thanks for opinions and discussion.

FWIW We've agreed on a good price and he is covering $700 of the cost to replace seal. Also, as a bonua, I'm getting the original Sport Pack 5 spoke wheels that came with the car. They have plastic dip black on them but should be easy but time consuming to remove. The wheels appear to be pristine otherwise. Have the old rubber on them.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:20 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Good luck! I am glad you got a good deal. I hope you enjoy as much as I do with my car!

Safe driving!

Old 11-05-2017, 05:37 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
4.7l with 22k miles for low 40's in working order is a killer deal! Congrats!

Old 11-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
"The wheels appear to be pristine otherwise. Have the old rubber on them."

Check closely that there is no dry rot between the treads. On my 09 purchased with 8900 miles last year, it had great tread but the dealer found cracks between the treads on my first annual inspection. Good catch. I replaced the original tires with Michelin Super Sports 4s's. Nice tires.

Enjoy the ride.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:18 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Congrats. The first $10,000 in depreciation is free. I highly recommend you drive it like a rental!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.