Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2009 vantage coupe PPI results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 02:35 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
2009 vantage coupe PPI results

Just got results of PPI inspection...2009 vantage coupe sports shift, 22500 miles...

overall was ok...

clutch wear was recorded as "1870 nits" anyone know what that means? Tech drove it and said clutch was ok but likely needed replacement in few thousand miles... dealer is quoting about $4k.

also weeping front timing cover seal... showed me moist oil but not enough to even drip on skid plate... tech said said he would not fix it right away...

passenger seat belt buckle was "sticking" and threw a code...surprised that the car tracked this stuff

rear muffler removed... exhaust system reworked... looks very good and sounds great.

interior was 10. replaced some shrunken leather... dash panels and binacle.

body was 9.. small dent on underside of left rocker panel... no missing paint there... the film at the rear fenders need replacement...

just had major 20k service less that 1,000 ago...tires at 7 to 9/32... all brake pads at 6mm

i think overall pretty good...looking for expert opinions... anything i should be worried about.

Last edited by MRCW; 11-02-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:40 PM
Dustan is on a distinguished road
If your ok with the $8000.00 repair bill headed your way go for it. It would be nice to have one of the 2 high cost repairs done. Clutch and timing cover gasket are the most expensive repairs we have as owners

Old 11-02-2017, 04:07 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
Wanted to say the same as Dustan.
For the timing cover repair the engine has to be extracted, for the clutch the drivetrain behinde the engine. Lots of hours work.
Get it repaired properly before you buy the car or deduct 8000-10000 for pending repairs. Naturally the mechanic does not want to fix the timing cover - he knows the work involved.
Good luck with your search.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:21 PM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
"also weeping front timing cover seal... showed me moist oil but not enough to even drip on skid plate... tech said said he would not fix it right away..."

What's with this? I thought 09's and newer cars had this problem solved. Should I expect this problem down the road on my 09?

Even my Jag E-Type doesn't leak oil from the front timing cover. Elsewhere is another story.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:10 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
Timing cover leaking is famous on early 4.3 engines, on the 4.7 unusual. Replacing the seal is still the same cost.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:44 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dustan
If your ok with the $8000.00 repair bill headed your way go for it. It would be nice to have one of the 2 high cost repairs done. Clutch and timing cover gasket are the most expensive repairs we have as owners
Originally Posted by GDay2
Timing cover leaking is famous on early 4.3 engines, on the 4.7 unusual. Replacing the seal is still the same cost.
Quote from the Aston dealer for clutch is $3100 plus $900 for slave cylinder if needed... the front seal is $2100.

i was surprised as well about the front seal... the tech really had to look hard to find the leak but did find some moist oil.

this is a private party sale so I'm going to negotiate with owner.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:52 PM
Dustan is on a distinguished road
I was lucky to find one with a new clutch but have my eye on the timing cover with fingers crossed. If the car checks your boxes you got the ppi and know what your buying I’d go for it. Even with the quirks they’re amazing cars.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:54 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Mine seeps, I have no plans on having a seep fixed, it's not leaking. If it was leaking I'd have it fixed, and be prepared to have it done again 20,000 miles later. ;/

Old 11-03-2017, 07:46 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MRCW
Quote from the Aston dealer for clutch is $3100 plus $900 for slave cylinder if needed... the front seal is $2100.

i was surprised as well about the front seal... the tech really had to look hard to find the leak but did find some moist oil.

this is a private party sale so I'm going to negotiate with owner.
That prices sound very reasonable for Aston Martin.
Where in Florida are you located?

Since you are buying from a dealer, does the price reflect the required work?

Old 11-03-2017, 08:35 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
Mine seeps, I have no plans on having a seep fixed, it's not leaking. If it was leaking I'd have it fixed, and be prepared to have it done again 20,000 miles later. ;/
Same here

Old 11-03-2017, 12:19 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Sounds pretty good to me. The clutch is a wear item and the oil seep sounds pretty minimal; probably won't even notice it with regular oil changes. You might be able to get a couple K knocked off, but if I were selling I wouldn't take off a lot.

Sounds like the tech did a pretty good job, but I would still personally go over the exterior and interior myself. Take one of those little LED lights to look under the sills, spoiler, etc. and around the interior.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Zettinger
That prices sound very reasonable for Aston Martin.
Where in Florida are you located?

Since you are buying from a dealer, does the price reflect the required work?
Aston Martin Orlando... it's a private party sale.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:05 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
AM Orlando is not doing a 20 hour timing cover leak repair for $2100. I'm impressed that they quoted a 9.5 hour clutch job for the $3100 which includes the parts, but the price makes me assume they're just replacing the disc alone and not even the plate.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:51 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
AM Orlando is not doing a 20 hour timing cover leak repair for $2100. I'm impressed that they quoted a 9.5 hour clutch job for the $3100 which includes the parts, but the price makes me assume they're just replacing the disc alone and not even the plate.
+1

I am willing to bet the $2100 would be only the cheap fix, unless they have figured a way to drop the motor and replace the gasket faster and easier.

Doesn't the V12 clutch from Stuart cost 4k or so? Then labor?

I thought the Stuart clutch plus install was close to what a dealer charged for the whole deal? So if that is the case, then the $3100 is most likely is just the disc. Then add in a couple grand more for the other MUST HAVE parts.

The owner of that car is SELLING it because he knows a 5k clutch is needed soon. He most likely didnt know about the seeping TCG. Either way, your in for 7-8k in repairs at some point in the future. Even if you don't do the TCG now, you most likely will in 10k miles or so when it starts weeping. Most of these cars get dumped right before a clutch is due or the TCG needs replacing. People don't want to spend the cash to repair, so they sell hoping the buyer doesn't know.

What is the ASKING PRICE for this 09 22k mile car?

Old 11-03-2017, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
+1

I am willing to bet the $2100 would be only the cheap fix, unless they have figured a way to drop the motor and replace the gasket faster and easier.

Doesn't the V12 clutch from Stuart cost 4k or so? Then labor?

I thought the Stuart clutch plus install was close to what a dealer charged for the whole deal? So if that is the case, then the $3100 is most likely is just the disc. Then add in a couple grand more for the other MUST HAVE parts.

The owner of that car is SELLING it because he knows a 5k clutch is needed soon. He most likely didnt know about the seeping TCG. Either way, your in for 7-8k in repairs at some point in the future. Even if you don't do the TCG now, you most likely will in 10k miles or so when it starts weeping. Most of these cars get dumped right before a clutch is due or the TCG needs replacing. People don't want to spend the cash to repair, so they sell hoping the buyer doesn't know.

What is the ASKING PRICE for this 09 22k mile car?
the asking was mid 50's and accepted offer was low 40's

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.