Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

How to replace Canopy (soft top) for DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 08:51 AM
Wildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of light
How to replace Canopy (soft top) for DB9

Hi guys

There is a instruction on how to do this in service manual
THERE ARE FEW TRICKS I have LEARNED

1. There is no mention of 4 pop rivets on each side which holds the soft top and weather seal trim in position, which you will have to remove before roof will come off. You will know once you removed everything as suggested by Manual and roof still won't come off. Then lift the weather seal strip just behind rear quarter window and look inside you will see 4 pop rivets ( my car is 2009) you have to drill them out.

Now when putting it back there are adhesive strips which goes around metal bars (there are 3 of them) those strips have to be centered perfectly and also have to be proper in front to back position otherwise you will get a nice wrinkle (more like a deep groove) in front of the first roller/roof bar (don't ask me how I know )
Anyway if you get it, you can use heat gun and carefully remover the adhesive strip and reattach it but you may not get 3rd chance.

to best align the roof following will work best (this is not described in service manual)

1. Attached screw in the front lip
2. Insert Tension cable, use old clip and only one of them not both.
3. Insert plastic lip over rear most metal frame (its like a crescent metal, I think they call it tension bow).
4. Close the roof
5. Keep the inside head liner off the car
6. Go inside the car
7. Apply adhesive strips with the roof in proper position (starting with first roller bar)
8. Open the roof in half way position, remove tension cable you will have to do this for only fist one, otherwise roof will not fold to bar 1.
9. Remove roof from rear most metal piece (tension bow), fold it to 1st roof bar, secure screws and secure metal retaining strip for roof head liner.

Repeat same steps 3-9 for 2nd bar and then again for third bar.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:12 PM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
Thanks. I hope to own my car long enough to need this someday!

Old 11-27-2017, 07:19 PM
Wildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of light
well actually mine is 2009 bought in 2013 already had some wrinkles on side from prior owner probably keeping roof open all the time. then i started having read window in roof started separating from roof, probably due to Florida heat. I had it glued few times but finally just decided to replace the roof.

Bad news is since now UK vendors/AM dealers are not allowed to ship it to us for $ 3500 , US dealers have been asking $ 7500 for it.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:30 PM
PART 2 of install
Before installing adhesive strip on 3rd bar you would want to put 4 pop rivets which holds roof and weather seal strip in place (just behind rear quarter panel Windows)

Its tricky job
first you want to align weather strip to tension bow properly
then you have to align lip of roof with holes in frame and metal piece which goes on top of that. there are 4 pop rivet.

I suggest you put rivets in place all 4 of them before starting to use rivet gun
start with lowest one, then top one and then middle 2.

If you ever order a roof ask for more rivets (I am waiting for more, as if you mess up you will have to remove the rivets)

then go and apply 3rd bar adhesive strip and rest is self explanatory

Old 11-28-2017, 07:02 AM
Senatorblutarsky will become famous soon enoughSenatorblutarsky will become famous soon enough
If I were you I would consider booking a trip to England and shipping the top back yourself. With the $4,000 difference in price you can book a nice little vacation and still come out ahead. You can fly roundtrip from Orlando for about $1,000.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:37 AM
Agree completely
i was luck enough to get it delivered to my home for 3500 us $ before that policy went in effect

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.