Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

08 DB9 Volante Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:18 AM
Collinsjd is on a distinguished road
08 DB9 Volante Buying Advice

Several of you know that I've been looking for a Virage Volante for quite awhile. I haven't found the ideal setup/options, but almost literally stumbled across a Stratus White 08 DB9 Volante (over Sahara Tan) with 11K on the clock. Insane deal. Although the maintenance receipts are not included, the owners manual has stamps from Foreign Cars Italia indicating the 10K and 20K services were performed. Short of needing tires, the car appears to be cosmetically pristine. Window sticker is laminated and quite literally has every option (that I know of) offered, other than folding sideview mirrors.

I plan to have a PPI performed at a local independent shop. I've owned an 05 DB9 and 11 V8VS, but was curious if there is something I should be on the look out for specifically for this year? Or any DB9 top issues (the top looks pristine with zero wear).

Thanks in advance for the guidance!

Old 11-14-2017, 10:23 AM
Here's a list of options for giggles:
-High spec alarm
-Smokers kit
-Brake Calipers - Silver
-Carpet binding - contrast color
-Stitching - contrast color
-Door cappings - Mahogany veneer
-Leather color - Contemporary
-Carpet color - Contemporary
-Hood color - Contemporary
-Exterior paint - Contemporary
-Optional front grille (assuming the bright finish grille option)
-Mahogany Veneer
-Perforated leather seat inserts
-Satellite radio
-Front stone guards (what are these?)
-Color keyed steering wheel
-Wind deflector
-Optional 19" 15 spoke wheels

Still has the umbrella and original tire inflation kit. Just missing the battery tender. Thanks again for any insight and advice!

Old 11-14-2017, 11:03 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Collinsjd
Here's a list of options for giggles:
-High spec alarm
-Smokers kit
-Brake Calipers - Silver
-Carpet binding - contrast color
-Stitching - contrast color
-Door cappings - Mahogany veneer
-Leather color - Contemporary
-Carpet color - Contemporary
-Hood color - Contemporary
-Exterior paint - Contemporary
-Optional front grille (assuming the bright finish grille option)
-Mahogany Veneer
-Perforated leather seat inserts
-Satellite radio
-Front stone guards (what are these?)
-Color keyed steering wheel
-Wind deflector
-Optional 19" 15 spoke wheels

Still has the umbrella and original tire inflation kit. Just missing the battery tender. Thanks again for any insight and advice!

If the money is right, BUY IT!!!!!

I would have an INDY change out the Diff fluids, Transmission Fluids, oil, coolant etc..... when you get it. Other than those nothing else should be done. I don't think the transmission cooler lines needed replacing on 08's. You might be in for coil packs at some point unless it has been done which is unlikely.

BUY------AM bits tan or black leather door caps. Black might give a great contrast, but the wood IMHO look stupid. The center part wood I think looks nice as long a the sides are changed.

GET-----VAP decays and tune. I will have a VCOLL trunk lip for you near christmas if you want a good deal on one. Its FRP to paint your white color. I am swiping to 2013 trunk lid. Front lip and CF diff are musts also.

Hows that for a list eh?????? Although I have all my paperwork, I wouldn't be worried about a 11k mile car. While it may have a quirk or two, most likely nothing to be overly worried about. The Coil packs go, and the shocks may seap a bit. Mine were all replaced on my 05.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the awesome advice!

Last edited by Collinsjd; 11-14-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:18 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
If the door cars in wood are in good shape - I'd prefer it - use your own taste! I had the first Factory Vantage with burr walnut wood - console and door caps

Old 11-14-2017, 11:21 AM
All great advice. Some prefer the wood. I'm fairly neutral, but good to know they can be swapped.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:36 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
All great advice. Some prefer the wood. I'm fairly neutral, but good to know they can be swapped.
The wood preferences are individual. Find the thread

A Special Homecoming

This will walk you through what has been done to my 05. I have to maintain the ability to return to Factory for anything I do, so mine is fairly well thought out in advance. I prefer the car to be classy, but aggressive. The Wheels might have pushed it over the edge a bit, but there should be pictures for the door caps from before and after. Makes a huge difference. I still love and prefer my Walnut/mahoghany wood waterfall panel though.

I know you said you owned an 05, but please ask whatever you wish and I will try to help as much as possible.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:17 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
08 got the upgraded coils and should be good, tranny cooler lines was as far as I know limited to 05 and some early 06's.
Work the top up and down several times, looking for serious stop and go's in the movement, tops that are not worked regularly can and do have serious top issues from seals leaking, not saying yours will, just that it can happen.
Can't remember, but if you have the Linn radio, see which version you have. A lot of us with the Linn 950 have had issues, usually speakers blowing which is an easy fix, just upgrade to better speakers and ditch the stock ones.

Last edited by randyb; 11-14-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:21 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
If the door cars in wood are in good shape - I'd prefer it - use your own taste! I had the first Factory Vantage with burr walnut wood - console and door caps

Agreed. More the wood and bright work; the better for me!

Old 11-14-2017, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by randyb
08 got the upgraded coils and should be good, tranny cooler lines was as far as I know limited to 05 and some early 06's.
Work the top up and down several times, looking for serious stop and go's in the movement, tops that are not worked regularly can and do have serious top issues from seals leaking, not saying yours will, just that it can happen.
Can't remember, but if you have the Linn radio, see which version you have. A lot of us with the Linn 950 have had issues, usually speakers blowing which is an easy fix, just upgrade to better speakers and ditch the stock ones.
Hey buddy,

My Linn is fine so far. Finally got the pieces to finish the Denison install. BUT.... do you know off hand what size door speakers to look to buy, and any others except the sub? Not sure if you can just say co-axial 5 1/4 doors and such and such.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:03 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Several of you know that I've been looking for a Virage Volante for quite awhile. I haven't found the ideal setup/options, but almost literally stumbled across a Stratus White 08 DB9 Volante (over Sahara Tan) with 11K on the clock. Insane deal. Although the maintenance receipts are not included, the owners manual has stamps from Foreign Cars Italia indicating the 10K and 20K services were performed. Short of needing tires, the car appears to be cosmetically pristine. Window sticker is laminated and quite literally has every option (that I know of) offered, other than folding sideview mirrors.

I plan to have a PPI performed at a local independent shop. I've owned an 05 DB9 and 11 V8VS, but was curious if there is something I should be on the look out for specifically for this year? Or any DB9 top issues (the top looks pristine with zero wear).

Thanks in advance for the guidance!
Wait for a Virage, but if not then at least a 2009 DB9. The Premium sound is FAR superior to the Linn 950 in the older cars. You had an 05, so why go back there with an '08? I don't care how good the deal is (well, there's always a deal, I suppose). Don't fall into the 'good deal' trap...buy what you really want.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:48 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Hey buddy,

My Linn is fine so far. Finally got the pieces to finish the Denison install. BUT.... do you know off hand what size door speakers to look to buy, and any others except the sub? Not sure if you can just say co-axial 5 1/4 doors and such and such.
Hello, they are 4"

Old 11-18-2017, 08:32 AM
Update: Looks like the initial PPI revealed a seeping passenger side engine mount. Astonmartin Bits has the part at $160ish USD. Can't find Mitchell labor time anywhere. It appears to just be a hydraulically filled engine mount (no crazy MBZ electronic BS). Pretty easy to install for most shops? Or will specialized dealer tools be required?

Old 11-27-2017, 06:56 PM
Backed out of the car. In the volante bucket portion where the top resides, it looks like someone took a saws all to the what appears to be top portion of the fuel cell? Anyone seen this before? I'm assuming this is not Aston factory work

Uneven application of body filler

Water oozing from cracked paint surrounding the top portions in the convertible top storage area

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.