Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Special Vehicle Care 101: General Cleaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 04:46 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MRCW
SheriffDep... Have you used this product...
"Aerolon Fast Wet-Applied Coating"

It seems that some guys at my marina are using it on their boats and my Bro in Law's pilot uses it on his planes... It seems that it is formulated for cars, boats. planes, etc. I'm going to try it on one of my boats but wanted to see if you've tried it on cars yet.
Never heard of it. Basic use or general use type product, not made by a mainstream manufacturer negates my usage. Bonanza A36 sure why not.

Its a hydrophobic spray, fairly basic. Not sure how it possibly fills in light swirls. Also IMHO it will not add really any shine. These products really are applying a hydrophobic layer on the paint or any surface that you are able to apply after washing when the item is still wet, and they rinse off heavily. Best to rinse off with a pressure washer. Something about how the intense pressure helps bond and remove the product. I use similar for grilles, vents, mesh ares, undercarriage, wheels etc...... Oh and under the hood.

Boats, i would absolutely use this. But, i would use CarPro Hydro 2, or Gyeon Wet for those applications. For a boat, I would spend the extra and get the good stuff and you likely only need to use it once a year. But, a fishing boat, or center console that sits on a lift all year, I would apply 3-4x hull and all.

Hope that helps some, I just believe in higher end products that dont overly waste money. Using those, keeps you knowing you could do nothing more and its as protected as it can be. I would love to try a Glass coating on a boat hull. Would be interested in if it would increase speed, be alot more slick. I wonder. If I still had my Velocity Powerboat I would have the surface pristine and coated in 22ple coatings. But a center console boat on a lift, or any much larger boats it would be very cost prohibitive.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:17 PM
astonChap will become famous soon enough
Sir SheriffDep,

Sincerely appreciate the insight and tips.

Question. What are your thoughts / experience with Griotts products?

Specifically leather care cream.

Cheers.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:41 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by astonChap
This is what my local AM dealer uses on all their cars (Griotts Leather Care). I started using it and am quite pleased. Easy to use, nice smell, good results.

Last edited by brightoncorgi; 11-19-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:16 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by astonChap
Sir SheriffDep,

Sincerely appreciate the insight and tips.

Specifically leather care cream.

Cheers.
Griots makes a sold product line. I use their BOSS line of pads for some of my polishers. I use AMMO Mousse which several friends have gotten and only positive praises were heard. IT made their Aston leather smell come back. Hope this helps

Old 11-19-2018, 09:27 PM
astonChap will become famous soon enough
Sheriff - much appreciated guv, thank you.

brightoncorgi - my thoughts exactly, just wanted to make sure i wasn’t using crap and trust Sheriff

Last edited by astonChap; 11-19-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:38 PM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MRCW
You do not really have to "pay" to play...Much of the detailing stuff is not that expensive, especially if you look for alternative sources... For instance, I bought a blaster air blower from a pet supply place on line... Same exact specs as the more expensive "auto " one but about 2/3 price... You can get good quality products without the high price for a "name," especially if you just want to keep your car looking good but not concours ready... Remember, many Vantages are aging and not super expensive any more and may not need a $1,000 detail every six months or 1,500 miles, whichever comes first...

I look at balance and moderation. That being said, I did my own paint correction on my car ( took about 16 hours) when i first got it and had a detailer tweak it and put a ceramic coating on it... I think that was a good $800 investment for the next several years. I do mini washes every couple months or after a nasty driving day ( take about 40 minutes or so) and an annual detail and recoat for about $150 from my detailer. I keep up several other vehicles and a couple of boats, so I've learned to not be so **** about keeping everything pristine...Clean and shiny but I'm not one to detail a car after every drive...

There are lots of places in between. Good luck with your new car!
+1 Will definitely echo this, I learned how to detail pretty well for a non-professional with my BMWs. I first applied a CarPro CQuartz Cermaic Coating on my 1series with 2 layers and absolutely fell in love with my non-professional work

When my Cobalt Blue V8Vs came in, I had the car professionally paint corrected (18hrs), 3 layers of Esoteric Kamikaze Ceramic Coating applied as well on the brake calipers and wheels, then Xpel overlaid, followed up with another layer of coating on the Xpel - $1600 expense

I no longer need to worry about car detailing, I will do a rinse every couple of months (I daily drive the car if weather permits) but it looks perfect every time. I just sold all my detailing equipment on fb marketplace for $1500 to a kid that is picking up mobile detailing

The ceramic coatings have made car detailing a game changer and a less "maintenancy" of an item. Below are pics 1 day post coating work

Last edited by lilseevs; 11-20-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:10 PM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lilseevs
+1 Will definitely echo this, I learned how to detail pretty well for a non-professional with my BMWs. I first applied a CarPro CQuartz Cermaic Coating on my 1series with 2 layers and absolutely fell in love with my non-professional work

When my Cobalt Blue V8Vs came in, I had the car professionally paint corrected (18hrs), 3 layers of Esoteric Kamikaze Ceramic Coating applied as well on the brake calipers and wheels, then Xpel overlaid, followed up with another layer of coating on the Xpel - $1600 expense

I no longer need to worry about car detailing, I will do a rinse every couple of months (I daily drive the car if weather permits) but it looks perfect every time. I just sold all my detailing equipment on fb marketplace for $1500 to a kid that is picking up mobile detailing

The ceramic coatings have made car detailing a game changer and a less "maintenancy" of an item. Below are pics 1 day post coating work

Looks nice. Was the $1600 just for the ceramic coating or did that include the XPel?

Old 11-20-2018, 02:21 PM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
I did the Xpel application myself on the rock guards, headlights, door handles, area where the rear bumper meets the trunk (for abrasions from lifting the trunk open) and side mirrors. My pricing is cheap because I am friends with the owner of the Xpel shop here, $450 to do the hood, front bumper, and front quarter panels

http://www.xpel.com/paint-protection...antage/S/Coupe

Old 11-21-2018, 11:32 AM
powerbeautysoulAM is on a distinguished road
Can you wash microfiber with NON scented laundry detergent?

Or do you have to use microfiber detergent?

Old 11-21-2018, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by powerbeautysoulAM
Can you wash microfiber with NON scented laundry detergent?

Or do you have to use microfiber detergent?
You're fine, here's a really good Microfiber towel writeup. Who would've thought someone put this amount of effort into microfiber towels, but I'm glad they did!

https://www.washos.com/blog/microfiber-towels/

Old 11-22-2018, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by lilseevs
You're fine, here's a really good Microfiber towel writeup. Who would've thought someone put this amount of effort into microfiber towels, but I'm glad they did!

https://www.washos.com/blog/microfiber-towels/
sherriffdep told me that if you use regular laundry detergent to wash your microfiber, the remnants of laundry detergent will stay in the microfiber towel after the wash and is never completely rinsed out. He said then you will be spreading Tide onto your vehicle when wiping things down, removing wax or polish etc. I’m not sure if it will scratch the car or make the microfiber less effective over time. They must sell MF detergent for a reason. But I read that if you use laundry detergent, it should be NON SCENTED or NON perfumed for microfiber.

Does anyone else have issues using regular laundry detergent to wash microfiber?

Old 11-22-2018, 06:44 PM
Detergent is difficult to make sure it has all been rinsed out. It does NOT hurt it to wash it in it, just there is no way to tell if it has all rinsed out. Plus the MAJOR issue is the normal washing detergents have no type of degreasers or chemicals that will break down the waxes, polishes, and other detailing liquids and remove them completely from the mf towels. In that article, it actually mentioned using white vinegar in the wash to remove all those particles, and then use the detergent to mask the vinegar smell. Make it simple on yourself and do it the right way and buy a gallon of mf washing solution and be done.

When I suggest things to people, they are typically well thought out, and researched items that I have personally used, or currently use. Many other items are available to be used, however either they are no where near as good, or I haven't used them. I use usually the best, and use it for a reason. I dont like second guessing myself and wondering about something when a few dollars more typically gets you the product where you dont have too.

Hope all this helps, and that was an absolute great article and on the money for sure. Most people dont know or understand that.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:55 PM
How do you guys clean between the door jambs and underneath the hood? Do you just take microfiber with soap and wipe?

Old 12-07-2018, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by lovingit
How do you guys clean between the door jambs and underneath the hood? Do you just take microfiber with soap and wipe?
A long brush is what I use you can get the on Amazon. Then use soap and water. You could use some all purpose cleaner if there is grease in there, but make sure your using soap also if you do that

Old 12-09-2018, 08:30 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lovingit
I use a wash mitt and wash both like the rest of the car. Use a raw hose that is cut as an attachment to my hose in a 4' strip and choke the water down to half so it's just more than trickle out the hose. I can follow the water along the door jams with the doors open and not get a drop in the car. Very easy to do. It's last part of washing the car. Also good so I can walk around the car and see if I missed any areas and address those.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.