Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Special Vehicle Care 101: General Cleaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 09:57 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by lilseevs
+1 Will definitely echo this, I learned how to detail pretty well for a non-professional with my BMWs. I first applied a CarPro CQuartz Cermaic Coating on my 1series with 2 layers and absolutely fell in love with my non-professional work

When my Cobalt Blue V8Vs came in, I had the car professionally paint corrected (18hrs), 3 layers of Esoteric Kamikaze Ceramic Coating applied as well on the brake calipers and wheels, then Xpel overlaid, followed up with another layer of coating on the Xpel - $1600 expense

I no longer need to worry about car detailing, I will do a rinse every couple of months (I daily drive the car if weather permits) but it looks perfect every time. I just sold all my detailing equipment on fb marketplace for $1500 to a kid that is picking up mobile detailing

The ceramic coatings have made car detailing a game changer and a less "maintenancy" of an item. Below are pics 1 day post coating work
I am assuming you are using the Kamikaze Overcoat once per few months and nothing else. Kamikaze coatings dont like to play with other products topping them like quick detailers, spray waxes etc...... If not, you need to use the Overcoat in order to keep the properties of the coating functioning at thier highest level. This is totally true for all coatings, however the Kamikaze line while great, demands its own type of spray.

PS----jsut because you have a coating doesn't mean the surface doesn't require mainenance every 4-6 months depending on how you drive them. Coatings like clear coat will build up road grime over time and polishing is the only thing that will take that off. I will dig a picture of that up somewhere. It should be surprising to most people.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:00 PM
lovingit is on a distinguished road
Is it redundant to apply sealant and then apply wax? I read that because sealant is hydrophobic, it makes wax difficult to adhere to it. But some of my friends say it’s ok to apply sealant and then wax on top of it for double protection.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:08 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by lovingit
Is it redundant to apply sealant and then apply wax? I read that because sealant is hydrophobic, it makes wax difficult to adhere to it. But some of my friends say it’s ok to apply sealant and then wax on top of it for double protection.
No, that is actually the most proper thing to do. Think of it as layers. Each one provides some type of protection and for a limited amount of time. Look up AMMO NYC and look up the Paint Regimen and it will explain the process and resonating why. A good sealant will provide about 4-6 months of protection depending on your driving and storage conditions. Carnauba waxes only last about 3 weeks when its warm outside. Hot outside maybe less, but they provide a deep hue to the paint, rather than just a surface shine.

It like asking is it redundant when its 45 degres outside to put on a long sleeve shirt and then a windbreaker. Do you have to put the windbreaker on? No you dont. But if you do it helps and makes life much more comfortable.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
No, that is actually the most proper thing to do. Think of it as layers. Each one provides some type of protection and for a limited amount of time. Look up AMMO NYC and look up the Paint Regimen and it will explain the process and resonating why. A good sealant will provide about 4-6 months of protection depending on your driving and storage conditions. Carnauba waxes only last about 3 weeks when its warm outside. Hot outside maybe less, but they provide a deep hue to the paint, rather than just a surface shine.

It like asking is it redundant when its 45 degres outside to put on a long sleeve shirt and then a windbreaker. Do you have to put the windbreaker on? No you dont. But if you do it helps and makes life much more comfortable.
The wax I have is made of polymer. It is recommended to apply once every 6 months.

Do I have to buy a wax remover since I do not know if or what the previous owner used or if they even used wax? Or will using clay bar and lubricant remove previous wax and sealants so I can start fresh?

Last edited by lovingit; 12-21-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:16 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Or will using clay bar and lubricant remove previous wax and sealants so I can start fresh?
The clay bar will do it. I like to use dish washing soap to wash the car if I am going to polish/wax it. The soap takes off more of the wax than the car wash soap does. Suds for that rare wash are pretty good too.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:15 PM
Vettel-ish is an unknown quantity at this point
I enjoy cleaning the cars. I think that is where I look away from products like ceramic coatings.

Larry at AMMO does an amazing job with his products, if you keep up with his line you will see amazing results.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
The clay bar will do it. I like to use dish washing soap to wash the car if I am going to polish/wax it. The soap takes off more of the wax than the car wash soap does. Suds for that rare wash are pretty good too.
How much dish washing soap do you put in a bucket of water?

So generally speaking, is washing your car with dish washing soap like Dawn worse than using car wash soap like Meguirs?
Isn't soap "suds", just the car wash soap bubbles and froth?

Last edited by lovingit; 12-21-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:31 PM

So generally speaking, is washing your car with dish washing soap like Dawn worse than using car wash soap like Meguirs?
Isn't soap "suds", just the car wash soap bubbles and froth?
It appears you are soaking up all the information you can to help maintain your vehicle. That is wonderful. But a lot of these basic questions for soaps, waxes, etc.....would better serve you on a forum like autogeek or autopia or detailers domain. I am always happy to help but informing someone that soap suds are really just soap suds is not my thing. Helping to guide which products to purchase and why is. Along with how to use them properly. Here is the other Special Vehicle Cleaning 101 thread to read also.

Special Vehicle Care Protectants

Dish washing soaps strip the paint surfaces of all sealants, waxes, and toppers. (if you dont know what a topper is---any product you put on top of your protection; such as spray wax, spray detailers, etc.....) This allows for a bare surface to start from. Claying your paint will also strip the surface of protection.

Meguires Car Wash soap and all the other basic Car Wash Soaps without additives such as (Citrus--will strip, Wax--helps wax the surface) will not remove any of the protection you have applied. That is what they are designed for.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:21 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Vettel-ish
I enjoy cleaning the cars. I think that is where I look away from products like ceramic coatings.

Larry at AMMO does an amazing job with his products, if you keep up with his line you will see amazing results.
I also enjoy cleaning any of the cars I own. As someone who detailed their own cars for many years and now has ceramic coatings on the expensive stuff, ceramic coating does not take any of the joy away for me. It simply has given me a bit more time back, as well as protection that none of my waxes or sealants could provide.

You have now heard multiple data points from Aston owners who have detailed their own cars for years but prefer ceramic coatings now.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:25 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Couple of ounces for 5 gallon bucket.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:31 AM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
Isnt the take away here from car cleaning .
Use products that you like that produce the results you want on your car and do it carefully and frequently .

Old 12-28-2018, 01:39 AM
I have the V spoke wheels. They are a pain to clean! I used simple water soap and microfiber and spent the longest time getting in and around the V spokes. It was a pain cleaning the inside of the wheel. There are still areas I couldn’t get my hand into near where the brakes sit. Most likely will need a wheel woolie. I don’t ever recall cleaning the inside of my beemer wheels just the outside face. I’m guessing no one uses any spray on and hose off wheel cleaners?

Old 12-28-2018, 08:24 AM
I have the V spoke wheels. They are a pain to clean! I used simple water soap and microfiber and spent the longest time getting in and around the V spokes. It was a pain cleaning the inside of the wheel. There are still areas I couldn’t get my hand into near where the brakes sit. Most likely will need a wheel woolie. I don’t ever recall cleaning the inside of my beemer wheels just the outside face. I’m guessing no one uses any spray on and hose off wheel cleaners?
I like to use old sponges from the kitchen to do the back of the spokes. Spray some wheel cleaner onto the sponge and back side will be as clean as front.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:57 PM

PS21 Wheel gel will work just fine on your wheels. Best bet is to get them perfectly clean (likely removing each one to do it properly) and then coat the with some type of silica based coating or spray type (spray type will only last a few months) then only use soap and water. Wheel cleaners will take away the coatings or silica spray properties.

Just be extra carful with cleaners, a lot of them can damage wheels if let to dry, or dwell on any surface to long etc...... I gave you a perfect cleaner if you choose.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Just be extra carful with cleaners, a lot of them can damage wheels if let to dry, or dwell on any surface to long etc...... I gave you a perfect cleaner if you choose.
I buy either Sonax Full Effect of P21S in 5L containers and switch brands when the last one is near the end. I spray the next wheel with the cleaner right before I do the final rinse on the previous wheel. That way it's on there maybe 20 seconds before I start scrubbing the wheel.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.