Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Tungsten with Brushed Dark Clear wheel finish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 08:20 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Tungsten with Brushed Dark Clear wheel finish

Does anyone here have a Tungsten Aston with HRE's brushed dark clear finish? I would love to see a picture.

I currently have the brush tinted clear (love the color, see pictures below) and am looking to have them refinished due to road debris that lightly damaged a wheel.

HRE no longer offers brushed tinted so I need to go with either brushed dark tint which will be a darker wheel compared to pictures below or brushed clear which will be lighter than pictures below. I am usually decisive but struggling on this one....thoughts?

Brushed tinted clear finish

Old 11-26-2017, 04:25 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
My vote is go darker.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:50 PM
PK_Vantage is on a distinguished road
I'll second that.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:01 AM
skywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the rough
My car is Tungsten Silver and I opted for HRE's in the polished dark clear finish. These were a set of wheels that were in stock as a cancelled order and were fully polished. I wanted a clear coat to protect them. Polished clear was not my thing and I liked the brushed dark clear tone and hue so I made the request. It is now an offered finish. It it not brushed dark clear as you are looking for exactly but it might give you an idea on color hue. I feel they compliment the tone and hue of the Tungsten Silver almost perfectly in most lighting conditions. These photos were taken 1/2 hr before sunset.

These wheels were cut for stock AM center caps so I opted for a set in gloss black to compliment them.

My vote is for dark clear.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:19 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
I love the color of your wheels, brush tinted clear would be my personal choice if not regular hyper silver.
Skywagon's wheel color is gorgeous as well.

Whatever you do, please don't ruin your wheels with black color.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:40 PM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
Go with the Brushed Dark Clear. Way more dynamic as it changes color tone depending on the angle you're viewing it from and the amount of light hitting it.

Brushed Dark Clear

Brushed Clear

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: David@wheelsboutique.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:47 PM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
Had that same problem... I went with clear as it would be easier to service (resurface one wheel to match the others and do it without having to send all 4 wheels to HRE for them to match) moving forward since I found the HRE finish to be so fragile....

But agree that darker on your car might look better than lighter. My car is Metiorite Silver and I didn't want the darker finish so that made my choice easier than yours

They will both look awesome on yours! So no risk

Last edited by Montana107; 11-27-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:37 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
I like the thought of more contrast between the color of the wheel and that of the car. Today my wheels do not really stand out at all as they just blend in.

At first I did not want wheels that took away from the car and that was my biggest concern with going clear as to be it looks a bit more "bling". Because of this my initial gut was to go darker than current (brushed dark clear). I agree it changes color more (good) but feel again that dark wheels can get lost and look kind of dirty. I had not thought about Montanas comment as chips will happen and if the wheel is clear, they will not stand out.

I saw the below picture last night that has me leaning towards clear. Yes this car is darker but the lighter contrast looks nice and having just had the car ceramic coated over the past few days she is glowing better than when I got her 9 years ago.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:03 AM
Not a bad looking car! Needs yellow calipers and it would be a close duplicate of mine. This is sporting the clear finish. I was worried as well that the clear might have excessive bling but I have been happy with them.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	517314  

Last edited by Montana107; 12-03-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:11 AM
I went with the dark tinted with BC Forged and they came in much darker than I thought - but these are just my track wheels so not to motivated to re finish just yet - totally off brand topic but I think it is relevant as a finish might look a little different unless you see it in person - I also found some variation in the HRE tinted clear as mine were refinished with tinted clear a few times before I went to clear..

BC's below

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	517315  
Old 12-03-2017, 07:32 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
My 2009 with custom wheels

This was what was on my 2009 - Modulare 20"

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	517316   Click image for larger version

Name:	April_1_2014Rear.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	517317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vantage_Lake1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	540.2 KB
ID:	517318  
Old 12-03-2017, 02:54 PM
air993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Detomaso,
I think your car is PERFECT like it is. If you want the wheels to be up to date or more finished, just have them redone as is. I don't think that you will improve upon what you've already done. What you have is nothing short of perfect. Don't change it!

Old 12-11-2017, 08:12 PM
Scott-could not agree more that they look different in person vs what you see online. I have also noticed that the tint varies as they refinished one wheel for me before and it was way lighter than the other three....to HRE's credit they made it right by refinishing all 4!

Air993-After polling several good friends at Cars and Coffee yesterday the consensus was that most felt it perfect as is blending with the paint. The problem again is that they no longer offer brushed tint...you need to go darker or lighter thus making this a challenge.

I am going to wait until the new PS4S are available in my sizes in Feb to make the change.....hopefully by then I can make a damn decision!

Old 01-13-2018, 06:48 AM
Did you see this?

Name:	20160130_105808_9274efb03651a471bdf290ffb73ee1acdbf58473.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	435.3 KB
ID:	519248  
Old 01-13-2018, 11:34 AM
Thanks for sharing Scott! Looks like Tungsten with the dark brushed. It matches the paint really well but I feel given the darker look the car would look better with all chrome, etc blacked out and all CF. To me you lose a bit of the wheel detail and they look dirty. Given what you said about the finish chips, etc I am thinking clear all the way.

I also just had the grill refinished in a bit brighter aluminum powder coat last week to brighten in up. I think it will compliment the clear finished wheels and chrome trim and side strake.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.