Notices
Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Raising passenger seat 1" in 2007 Vantage V8

Old 12-07-2017, 12:34 PM
jerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nice
Raising passenger seat 1" in 2007 Vantage V8

My 2007 Vantage V8 does not have height adjustment on the passenger seat. When my wife sits in the car she can barely see over the dash. Some time ago I bought some 1" square steel bar and I finally got around to installing them recently.

After removing the bolts for the seat, I had to disconnect all of the wiring. There are a number of plug-in's and one ground wire. The ground wire is fastened under a steel plate.

The seat belt bolts must also be removed before the seat can be removed from the car.

With the seat out of the car, I could measure and cut the steel pieces to a length of 17". In addition to the holes for the bolts, I had to drill additional holes to clear protrusions on the bottom of the seat rail as I wanted the spacers to fit flush to the seat rail.

With the holes drilled, I bead blasted the spacers and took them to the powder coater. At Lowe's I found plastic plugs to fit the 1" bar to give the spacers a finished look.

With the seat installed, my wife will now at least be able to see out somewhat better. Next May we will have been married 50 years. This type of project helped make that happen!!! Happy wife, happy life!!!

Old 12-07-2017, 01:52 PM
rocketboots999 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that. I have to admit to being surprised that a high end car like this has no means of adjusting the passenger seat height. Even basic "grocery-getter" cars have manual height adjustment. These days, it isn't something that I would even consider researching in advance of a car purchase. Potential issues for the engine - yes, transmission - yes, brakes - yes and so on, but seat height adjust - no!!! My wife is not happy, but this might be a way around it.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:15 PM
embdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to all
Great post. I wonder if the new cars have height adjustment on the seats?

Old 12-08-2017, 07:28 AM
boxercupdave has a spectacular aura aboutboxercupdave has a spectacular aura about
My 07 has height adjust that's controlled by the horizontal seat adjust switch. You have to rotate the **** up at the front of the **** for front height and rotate the rear of the **** to bring the back of the seat up. A combination of these sets the seat bottom angle on my car.

I do like your fab work as it's something I would do. I'm presently getting ready to cut out the two seat pans in my C3 Vette to fab and install two lower pans to get the seat lower. My car is a later C3 which has a metal pan (done when catalytic converters were required) so I can plug/stitch weld a new pan in.

Dave

Old 12-08-2017, 12:52 PM
bluecab is on a distinguished road
I think I read somewhere that the european / rest of the world cars have height adjustment, but the US spec do not.

Is there some arcane DOT rule at work here?

Can anybody verify this?

Old 12-08-2017, 01:07 PM
rocketboots999 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by boxercupdave View Post
My 07 has height adjust that's controlled by the horizontal seat adjust switch. You have to rotate the **** up at the front of the **** for front height and rotate the rear of the **** to bring the back of the seat up. A combination of these sets the seat bottom angle on my car.
Is that for both Driver and Passenger seats on your car? Like the OP, my driver's seat has height adjustment, but not the passenger.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:43 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
I think passenger seat height adjustment was optional for Vantage, standard for DB9.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:49 PM
J doubleU is a glorious beacon of lightJ doubleU is a glorious beacon of lightJ doubleU is a glorious beacon of lightJ doubleU is a glorious beacon of lightJ doubleU is a glorious beacon of lightJ doubleU is a glorious beacon of light
All N/A spec AM cars 2007+ have no rise/fall seat adjustment for passenger seat due to seat weight sensor system fitment for passenger. So early DB9 and 06 Vantage will have full adjustments. Seats changed across both models for 2007 on.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:19 PM
jerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nice
Originally Posted by J doubleU View Post
All N/A spec AM cars 2007+ have no rise/fall seat adjustment for passenger seat due to seat weight sensor system fitment for passenger. So early DB9 and 06 Vantage will have full adjustments. Seats changed across both models for 2007 on.
Now we know!! Thanks for the info.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:15 PM
Aldv will become famous soon enough
Great post...while I have been married only 38 years so my wife must settle for a pillow to boost her up...lol
I hope you have another 50 great years together!!!
​​​​​
​​​​​​

Old 12-10-2017, 07:26 PM
My wife took her first ride today since I made the modification. And she was very happy. She commented that she could see out now like in a "normal" car!! I could see immediately that she was sitting higher. An inch of height made a lot more difference than I expected. So the effort was worthwhile.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:27 PM
Update on the project

When we drove the car to dinner on Saturday, the airbag light was illuminated. I have an OBD reader but it did not give any codes. I unhooked the battery for about 30 seconds but the warning light reappeared.

I called the dealer to discover that the airbag fault can only be corrected with Aston equipment. I drove there today and they had the code removed in a very short time. But I am $75 poorer.

I asked if I could have avoided the warning light had I not started the car while the seat was out. The answer was yes. Unfortunately, I had the Vantage parked beneath another car on my lift and needed to get the other car down. The moral is, if you want to save some money, do not start the car while the seat is out.

On the other hand, I did get to ogle a couple of DB11's. They are truly spectacular. This dealer also sells Porsche, Ferrari and Maserati so I did have a good time looking at cars while I the work was being done. Lots of eye candy!!

Old 12-11-2017, 07:42 PM
Aldv will become famous soon enough
Wow...no Christmas spirit at that dealership! I guess no good deed goes unpunished...I am sorry to hear...just thinking if they fixed for free how much free advertising they would have gotten on this forum...

I hope you saw both the v12 & V8 models... everything I have read on DB11 the V8 is the better of the two...

Your story is another reason I try to find good independent service companies....

Safe driving!!! Seasons greetings!!

Old 12-12-2017, 08:29 AM
Senatorblutarsky will become famous soon enoughSenatorblutarsky will become famous soon enough
You win Husband of the Year. I quit!

And very well done!