6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   GTS Lux vs Sport (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/416233-gts-lux-vs-sport.html)

mseligson 01-02-2018 03:47 PM

GTS Lux vs Sport

Nooby here.
Been a long time admirer of the V8 Vantage, but have avoided them due to the fact that there's no local dealer.
Have owned several Porsches in the meantime, but now still am drawn to the last chance at owning a 6MT NA V8 Aston.
Is there any difference in desirability/resale value of the GTS Luxury vs Sport trims?
How is reliability, since I have no local dealer?

Mathman85 01-02-2018 04:42 PM

The GTS model has only existed for about a year, so nobody will have info on resale benefits of one over the other. With that said, buying a Vantage for resale value is a terrible strategy.

Further, many studies have shown that options have practically no impact on resale value... so given that the two versions are just options added to the same car, I'd bet there's no appreciable difference in their resale value.

As for reliability, you'll find that all newer Aston Martins are very reliable. Most issues tend to be fit & finish issues (interior trim, condensation in tail lights, etc.).

If you're serious about buying an Aston Martin, get "The Definitive Guide to Gaydon Era Aston Martin," henceforth referred to as "The Book." It will cover everything you need to know.

Available on Amazon and here: http://www.astonmartinreview.co.uk/

blue2000s 01-02-2018 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mathman85 (Post 4688980)
The GTS model has only existed for about a year, so nobody will have info on resale benefits of one over the other. With that said, buying a Vantage for resale value is a terrible strategy.

Further, many studies have shown that options have practically no impact on resale value... so given that the two versions are just options added to the same car, I'd bet there's no appreciable difference in their resale value.

I almost completely agree with this, except the transmission choice does have an appreciable difference.

mseligson 01-02-2018 06:52 PM

Thanks for the replies and for pointing me toward the Book.
I've followed the values long enough to know that traditionally these cars don't do so well for resale, but I wondered if there was any sense that the GTS might do any better, with only 100 produced. That said, I also wondered if the Lux model was less desirable than the Sport. Does anyone know how soft the lux suspension is? An article said they presumed it was simply the standard suspension from previous years. And I presume the previous post means to say that 6MT is more desirable than Auto when it comes to resale?
Regarding fit and finish, do there tend to be common little problems? Without a dealer nearby this could be a deal breaker.

Ron Avery 01-02-2018 07:27 PM

I have a 2016 Vantage GT, when I purchased my car in August of 2016.
They had a few GTS in stock, i was told that the GTS luxury had leather and mostly the Sport shift trans and the softer suspension.
The sports mostly have alcantara and the sport suspension plus stick shifts.
As for the difference between the two suspensions, my GT has the non sport suspension. I have driven a sport suspension GT. I would say the sport set up, is firm with less roll and dive. If you live were the roads are smooth, with not many pot holes. It may work for you, especially if you like to sharpest and most responsive Vantage you can purchase from the factory.
I like my set up just fine for me, I use my GT for long trips and canyon driving.
Either way you can't go wrong with both incredible cars.

Ron

Mathman85 01-02-2018 07:29 PM

For resale, the 6MT is absolutely more valuable.

The lux model, as far as I understand, uses the standard suspension, whereas the sport model has the sport suspension (considered a must for anybody who drives spiritedly). As I'm thinking about it, I think you'd be happier with the sport model based on your propensity for owning Porsches. It will be a more familiar ride, I think.

The GTS may have a special badge, but it was really just a unified sales strategy... I don't think there was an equivalent "base" model that it was an upgrade from. But the N400/N420/GT cars also aren't valued significantly higher than the bases of their respective years, from what I've seen.

mseligson 01-02-2018 07:33 PM

Does anyone know what it takes to upgrade a lux suspension to sport suspension, if desired?

Ron Avery 01-02-2018 08:26 PM

I just realized I forgot to mention that my 2016 GT was a stick as well as my 2007 Vantage.
As to your question about the suspension system I looked into upgrading my 2007 vantage to the sport suspension at the time I owned the car. At that time I would've needed to purchase split spoke 19 inch wheels anti-sway bars and Gas shocks from the dealer.
With the vantage GTS I don't believe you have to replace the wheels, it would just be purchasing anti-sway bars and the gas shocks. I think it was around $4000 for just the suspension, without the wheels.
At that point you may be better off going after market, it is also better to remember if you buy the car that is set up the way you want from the factory it's cheaper in the long run. I would think, if you search the dealer net work. You might be able to find a good GTS to purchase set up how you would like. If you do remember, that the GTS's have been on there Lots for a long time.

Ron

brightoncorgi 01-02-2018 08:52 PM

Another big thing to consider is whether you like the blacked out trim and grill work or do you like the bright work trim.

I have the Sport Pack (I assume includes suspension) and find the suspension to be stiff, but not brutal. Drives like it was one solid piece of metal. No rattles or the like. Not as soft as the Evora I owned previously. I'd say the stiffness similar to regular 911

A few of Porsche drivers that have driven my car all really loved it more than they thought they would.

mseligson 01-02-2018 09:14 PM

I drove a GT a couple years ago and REALLY loved it. The main thing that held me back was lack of a local dealer. Now I have a 981 Spyder and a 14 Shelby GT500, and I'm wanting something that can be more of a DD, either a 911T or S, or the dark horse......the Vantage GT or GTS. Would all of you buy your Astons again, over the new Porsche offerings? As a family we have some cruisers, so I don't need a back seat.

Ron Avery 01-02-2018 09:29 PM

My daughter is a driving coach with The Porsche driving experience center here in Los Angeles. So I have had a chace to drive a GT 4 Cayman, 911 7 speed manual. And a new Cayman S with the flat four turbo, and two weeks ago a 911 GTS with PDK.
All I can say is the PDK is something else. If I did a lot of track driving, and owned a Porsche it would have a PDK. And I am a stick guy, never owned any thing else and I am 60.
All that being said, the Porsche is a very different car. It is lighter, more agile and a more sharp weapon. Don't get me wrong I love my GT and would not trade. So you need to figure out what you want.
Ron

deckman 01-03-2018 07:50 AM

Sounds to me you have the bases covered for all driving types. the 918 is the best handling car they make short of the Cayman, so very fun. The Ford is brutally fast, but mostly straight lined oriented. I think the Vantage would fit nicely in the middle. Coming from a former Porsche owner.

mseligson 01-03-2018 08:15 AM

We have too many cars, but I love them all. If I were to buy this, I've got to get rid of something, most likely the Rubicon Unlimited which sees very little use. The Rubicon, Boxster Spyder, and Shelby are holding value really well, though, so a little bit tough to think of getting rid of one of them for, well......

Ron Avery 01-03-2018 08:37 AM

If you are mostly concerned with resale,or the car holding it's value in the short term. Than the Vantage is not for you. If you are willing to look down the road for about 5 years or more, than I think The GT or GTS being the end of the line, especially with a stick. Than the depreciation may start to level off.
Ron

deckman 01-03-2018 09:43 AM

Adding to what Ron said, if depreciation is a big concern I would buy an older model, like a MY 12.5 and onward. They are essentially the same cars, yet have already taken the big hit. There should be a large handful of very low mileage excellent condition cars for sale at any given time across the country.