Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 Oil weights and Viscosity

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 01:50 AM
Chris P is an unknown quantity at this point
DB9 Oil weights and Viscosity

Having brought up this topic on the Corvette and DeLorean forum I know this topic can start a religious debate of sorts on motor oil. But i recently had conversation with a Ferrari and Aston Martin collector about motor oil. He said he used a 15w-50 motor oil in all his V-12 engines due to better protection from "heat soak" after shutdown. Surprisingly he also. Said the 15W-50 had better cold flow than the 0W-40. I was told early DB9 V-12 are extremely sensitive to changes in viscosity which is why so many early models suffered from major internal engine failure. Years back Castol used to make a 5W-50 synthetic specifically for turbo applications. Was wondering if something like this would benefit the V-12. As a rule of thumb I'm continuing to use 0W-40. But I'm curious what others are running in their V-12 and why.

Last edited by Chris P; 01-03-2018 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 01-03-2018, 12:06 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Wolf's Head Golden 30 weight, it will never let you down.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:59 PM
PNW
PNW is on a distinguished road
I use the Mobile1 0W-40 just because that is what is recommended and I've had good luck with it in other cars. I've never heard of post shutdown heat soak being an issue in a non-turbo engine.

The early DB9 oil issues can be traced to a oil starvation issue due to an incorrect length dipstick from the factory. If you have a DB9, make sure you have the correct (new) part number dipstick.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:34 AM
Quadcammer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Chris P
Said the 15W-50 had better cold flow than the 0W-40.
and he is wrong

Old 01-04-2018, 04:35 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
and he is wrong
Really. Don't know how anyone could say such an ignorant thing.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:21 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Really. Don't know how anyone could say such an ignorant thing.
And you would be wrong.

The first weight determines the oil weight when the oil is cold, the lower the weight, the better it flows and that is a given. Though at low outside temps, the difference is probably minimal and also depends on whether you are comparing synthetic to regular oil.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:02 PM
Chris P is an unknown quantity at this point
https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=905s&v=pzmL2rl1j8Q

in conjunction with this topic. I was curious if anyone else had seen this video and had thoughts on why it failed in such a catastrophic way.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:07 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by randyb
And you would be wrong.

The first weight determines the oil weight when the oil is cold, the lower the weight, the better it flows and that is a given. Though at low outside temps, the difference is probably minimal and also depends on whether you are comparing synthetic to regular oil.
No ****. I was agreeing with the commenter, saying the guy who said the 15 weight flowed better in cold conditions was ignorant.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:26 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Question

Originally Posted by PNW
I use the Mobile1 0W-40 just because that is what is recommended and I've had good luck with it in other cars.

I want to buy motor oil for my Rapide and Mobil1 0W-30 or 0W-40 are recommended in the owner's manual. Also refers to Authority's and Standard's.

There are several formulations of Mobil1; which one should I buy?

What sucks is I have about 10 bottles of the Castrol specific for the Vantage that was big bucks and no longer own the Vantage... If you are a local Vantage owner, I will cut you deal on the oil for a bottle of wine...

Old 04-16-2018, 06:56 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Redpants
I sell Motul fluids and use them in both of my Vantages.
https://www.redpants.lol/shop/motul-engine-oil

A lot of people also use Mobil1.

The "recommended" brand of oil is contractual. You can swap between high-quality brands without issue.
Which line of Mobil1 meets the standards and authority's specified by Aston in the owner's manual on the V12?

Old 04-16-2018, 08:18 AM
The V8 and V12 have much different motor oil requirements.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by Redpants
The blog post goes over the quality requirements for oils (eg, ACEA A3/B3).

Doe the motor oil selected have to meet all the standards, or just some of them?

For the 0W-40, the manual states: (SL / SJ / EC / CF / A3 / B3/ B4 / GF3)

For the 0W-30, the manual states: (SL / SJ / EC / CF / A1 / A5 / B1 / B5 / GF3)

Old 04-16-2018, 09:28 AM
My local AM dealer says they use the regular Mobil1 0W-40 synthetic on the Rapide.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:27 PM
I emailed Mobil asking which Mobil1 product is the one Aston is referring to. They said they weren't sure based on the standard and authority. They asked me to scan a copy of the page from the owner's manual which I did on my reply email.

They said not all of their Mobil1 products are listed on their website for whatever reason.