6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   V12S thoughts (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/416603-v12s-thoughts.html)

jmargolese 01-12-2018 03:49 PM

V12S thoughts

Like many of you I have fallen in love with the old styling of the vantage. I had a chance to see the lime green 2019 vantage in person and while I like the interior, the side view and could stomach the rear, the front of the car was not for me. I did not get a chance to drive it, but I’m sure I would like the engine. The sound, who knows, but you can play with that...

My current 08 is getting long in the tooth and I think I’m going to trade it in. I drove a 2018 911 GTS last week and while I was impressed with the handling, the car overall was uninspiring to me. That leads me to the V12S.

I love the look of the car and think it will look great in ten years. Where I’m curious on people’s thoughts is price. You can get a lightly used 2015 for under $120k which is incredible. I have my eye on one of the few available V12S manuals available online. They are listing in 190 range.

What do you think the v12s manual will go for in the next months as the 2019 finally ships? Second item is long term value. I do not expect a v12s manual to appreciate and I plan to drive the car, put on 10k miles in 5 years. But, I don’t want to buy a car for let’s say 180k and see it worth 90k in 5 years.

Thoughts? Thanks for any ideas, such a great forum for this type of stuff.

J doubleU 01-12-2018 04:12 PM

I asked the same question on a new 7-sm that's in the $190k range. And was told by the sales manager the sale price wouldn't go lower with new models? That was last month..... so who really knows. I've driven a SS 3 and the 7-sm for $80k less it's very tempting to get whatever you can if your in the market.

V12Vin 01-13-2018 12:37 AM

jmargolese, I went thru the same thought process as you and went for the dogleg. Absolutely no regrets. It is tempting to get a 2015 V12VS for a lot cheaper but for me, I just can't stand the SS3. My previous two AM were manuals and I told myself my next AM has to be manual.

I do think the doglegs will hold higher than 2015/16/17 V12VS SS3. Even over 2011/12 V12V manuals cos of the extra hp, and upgraded electronics. At some pt though, I reckon those 2011/12 will appreciate above 2015/16/17.

As far as I know, AM Americas have not given any trunk money for the doglegs. Whatever discount you see should be covered from the other marques they are selling as well.

Feel free to PM me if you have additional questions.

J doubleU 01-13-2018 07:45 AM

AM Newport Beach just sold their last 2 dog legs this week. Coupe & convertible. I asked about other dealers in the US having one. Response was only a few left, like 15 maybe.

Prefurbia 01-13-2018 09:28 AM

I have the 15 V12S with Sportshift - prefer over the manual for several reasons - but you have to manually paddle shift to enjoy it and modulate the throttle as if a manual. I'm not alone, as a few manual early V12 Vantage owners locally 'upgraded' to the SportShift as they also thought it more engaging and enjoyable back in 2015, and back then took the financial hit! As far as a manual Morries AM in Minneapolis has one (they have had for a long time). I can tell you this having owned a 2007, a 2009, and a 2015 V8... the V8's are far more visceral and engaging driving experience and from the inside of the car as you drive more aural feedback (louder from the inside) assuming sports exhaust on the V8. The V12 is super smooth and linear power. The V8 you can push the throttle aggressively to hear the sound - with the V12S it would easily break the tires loose even with nanny's turned on. To me the V8's are more enjoyable to drive, however, the V12S is far more special and everything about the car is 110%. I might possibly get an older and cheaper V8 as a daily driver when the lease of my current daily driver is up, so I have best of both worlds. Absolutely no regrets on the V12S purchase. In 2015 only 151 V12S coupes were delivered to the USA so values should stabilize or go up in the future.

spinecho 01-13-2018 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Prefurbia (Post 4691198)
I can tell you this having owned a 2007, a 2009, and a 2015 V8... the V8's are far more visceral and engaging driving experience and from the inside of the car as you drive more aural feedback (louder from the inside) assuming sports exhaust on the V8. The V12 is super smooth and linear power. The V8 you can push the throttle aggressively to hear the sound - with the V12S it would easily break the tires loose even with nanny's turned on. To me the V8's are more enjoyable to drive, however, the V12S is far more special and everything about the car is 110%.

I'll offer the opposite opinion here. I found my V8 a far LESS visceral and less engaging driving experience than either of my V12's for the following reasons: V12 engine is louder, sounds more raw, and crucially revs MUCH more freely; V12's chassis feels sharper and twitchier (although I will concede that the v8 is noticeably less nose heavy). In terms of the transmission, I can't speak for the new dogleg box in the V12VS, but the manual in the old V12V was better shifting than the manual in the V8V.

For me, the V8 always felt like a chassis in need of an engine. I've never felt like that driving either of my V12's.

Ron Avery 01-13-2018 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by J doubleU (Post 4691065)
I asked the same question on a new 7-sm that's in the $190k range. And was told by the sales manager the sale price wouldn't go lower with new models? That was last month..... so who really knows. I've driven a SS 3 and the 7-sm for $80k less it's very tempting to get whatever you can if your in the market.

This is not a surprise, I highly doubt the Sales Manager would tell you other wise.
They want to sell what the have on hand. I do think that purchasing the last of a model run, with the last normally asperated V12, and the only 7 speed manual, is a better investment down the road. These cars should not be looked at has investments, in a general senses. Maybe in 5 + years the depreciation curve for flatten out. So purchase what makes your heart pound and your palms sweet.
These are the reasons that I traded in my 2007 Vantage, on my 2016 GT. It was the last of the line, stick, and the last Aston Martin derived V 8. It was also the Aston Martin press car for the east coast. I did get a pretty good discount ( it 2800 miles on it). If I had the cash, I would move up to a V12 7 speed stick. There is nothing like a V12.
Ron

V12Vin 01-13-2018 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by J doubleU (Post 4691175)
AM Newport Beach just sold their last 2 dog legs this week. Coupe & convertible. I asked about other dealers in the US having one. Response was only a few left, like 15 maybe.

The china grey one? Finally. Great car just the yellow lipstick not my taste. I feel like that's one of the very last dogleg with the sports pack Was the convertible in white or maybe black?

Golfpunks 01-13-2018 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by V12Vin (Post 4691250)
The china grey one? Finally. Great car just the yellow lipstick not my taste. I feel like that's one of the very last dogleg with the sports pack Was the convertible in white or maybe black?

The China grey one was beautiful.. Not sure if it was the one sold or not but if I could have afforded it instead of my v8v I would have been all over it

jmargolese 01-13-2018 04:42 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I love special look and feel and for the right price the v12s is the one for me. Speaking of press cars, I had a look at the one in Chicago. It’s gots 10k miles on it with a brand new clutch. White with orange piping. It’s the one you see in all the reviews online. They are asking 179 I think. Not sure I like the idea of buying that one, it’s been used heavily based on all the online videos I have seen.

There is another one similar with 1000 miles available, it had less orange and I can wrap the struts in the grille carbon black leaving an orange stripe on the side and mirror caps. I like the orange accents on the interior as well as the generous amounts of alcantara, it keeps better than the leather.

After February I will let you all know what I decide...

Prefurbia 01-14-2018 08:21 AM

The White and Orange one has been in an accident!!! Because these are factory cars - there is no CarFax when they get fixed and serviced - I should know - I bought one with a questionable history from same dealer who failed to disclose it's 'history' even though it was factory certified. The salesman lied and said they had no idea. I asked about that white car for a trade because of the deception, and the sales man said it had been in an accident. Buyer beware should not be a factor when buying certified used Aston Martins but that certainly is the case. In the end Aston provided me with a very fair replacement, but the attorneys fees, time and effort and aggravation and time away from settling this matter instead of running my business - I still am on the losing side of their deceptive sale.

My warning - unless you can get that white car for about $120K run away - a factory car needing a new clutch with low miles says it's been abused, and with an accident history (unrecorded) you would be far better off with a 2015 babied V12S. Had Aston not stepped up to the plate I would have sued both dealer and Aston Martin.

jmargolese 01-14-2018 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Prefurbia (Post 4691346)
The White and Orange one has been in an accident!!! Because these are factory cars - there is no CarFax when they get fixed and serviced - I should know - I bought one with a questionable history from same dealer who failed to disclose it's 'history' even though it was factory certified. The salesman lied and said they had no idea. I asked about that white car for a trade because of the deception, and the sales man said it had been in an accident. Buyer beware should not be a factor when buying certified used Aston Martins but that certainly is the case. In the end Aston provided me with a very fair replacement, but the attorneys fees, time and effort and aggravation and time away from settling this matter instead of running my business - I still am on the losing side of their deceptive sale.

My warning - unless you can get that white car for about $120K run away - a factory car needing a new clutch with low miles says it's been abused, and with an accident history (unrecorded) you would be far better off with a 2015 babied V12S. Had Aston not stepped up to the plate I would have sued both dealer and Aston Martin.

I assume you are referring to the car in Chicago. If so, agreed, as soon as I found out it was the media car I said no way. I also agree they were deceptive at the dealer, they had no idea what it was used for or why Aston put a new clutch in it. I have my eye on a different one in Tennessee that has a CARFAX report with a single owner and no orange lip stick, but orange on the struts in the grille and on the door sill which is better imho.

Thanks for the info.

Jeff Young 01-14-2018 10:27 AM

There is a white 2017 V12S manual at Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro NC. White isn't my color but the car looks great. It's been there a while.

As the owner of a 2012 V12 manual, my suggestion (just a suggestion) would be to find a low mile V12V with a manual for 110-130k. Save the money. The car is a bit more raw and honestly the chassis has a hard enough time with 510 hp.

I suspect the V12 and V12S manuals will follow the same depreciation curve. Down to 100kish, and then slowly appreciate. I hope in ten to fifteen years these are 300k cars.

Ron Avery 01-14-2018 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by jmargolese (Post 4691347)
I assume you are referring to the car in Chicago. If so, agreed, as soon as I found out it was the media car I said no way. I also agree they were deceptive at the dealer, they had no idea what it was used for or why Aston put a new clutch in it. I have my eye on a different one in Tennessee that has a CARFAX report with a single owner and no orange lip stick, but orange on the struts in the grille and on the door sill which is better imho.

Thanks for the info.

That V12 sounds like a cool car. Good luck with you search.
Ron

HabitualOffender 01-14-2018 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Prefurbia (Post 4691346)

I've been waiting to hear you tell it with attitude for months now. I would have been freaking out when you were politely pondering what to do, just before you came to your senses and it started making you lose sleep! ;)