6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   1st generation Vanquish (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/416950-1st-generation-vanquish.html)

skeena river rove 01-23-2018 08:16 PM

1st generation Vanquish

Hi Guy's

Thinking about getting a 1st generation Vanquish. Anybody of you guy's own one or use to own one. Just like to get some feedback on maintenance etc. I know the clutch sucks. But how is is to own? Currently owning a 2007 DB9, love the car not planning on selling never had any issues, knock on wood.

Anyway the Vanquish will be more for fun maybe 2000 miles a year on the clock.

Any info appreciated!

XJRS Owner 01-24-2018 06:27 AM

Post on NP Vanquish sub-forum of AMOC forum, and spend the time to read ALL the info posted there over the years.

skeena river rove 01-24-2018 12:06 PM

Yes that is what i did. But it's not there anymore! The changed the forum. Unless i am not seeing it.

yvr 01-24-2018 12:08 PM

It's still there, but you have to be logged in to see it.

skeena river rove 01-24-2018 12:09 PM

Ok found it!

rcfurse 02-10-2018 09:54 AM

1st Vanquish

I have done 23k in the last two years. No issues with clutch because I fitted a bullet proof GM 6 speed auto box. Plug and play so the car can go back to stock if next owner wants to. There is a TON of stuff on the AMOC Forum. Yes, you would have to joing to see it all but for £95 you will absolutely get your moneys worth when you order the first part you need because they have a sheet showing all the Ford/Jaguar part numbers. Lots of how to stuff and diagnostic advice plus great people who know the cars and will help you.

GCBC 02-10-2018 10:58 AM

amazing car. it has more advanced materials and construction than most other cars today under 275k and its actually hand made.

rcfurse 02-10-2018 03:22 PM

Why you should buy a 1st Gen Vanquish

It was hand built. The last Aston to be built in Newport Pagnell, home to Astons from David Brown onwards.
They only made 2,500 or so
It still looks new even though it was conceived in 2000
The issues are well understood now (and fixable)
Values have risen roughly 50% in the UK in the last 24 months
It was a Bond Car
The engine is bullet proof if cared for.
It is drop dead gourgeous
It sounds gorgeous
It is a proper Grand Tourer.
It goes like **** off a shovel.

brightoncorgi 02-10-2018 09:15 PM

My local AM dealer has two. I have seen this one and it's really mint. Want to say it was 80K?

https://www.astonmartin-lotus.com/as...tin-vanquish-1

GCBC 02-11-2018 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by rcfurse (Post 4696735)
It was hand built. The last Aston to be built in Newport
Values have risen roughly 50% in the UK in the last 24 months
It was a Bond Car

Like many other astons before it they started off rising slowly then all of a sudden THRU THE ROOF. Out of all the others that are worth 250-1m$ the v12 should rightfully be with them. Best investment car on the market now

DougM 02-14-2018 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by skeena river rove (Post 4693234)
Hi Guy's

Thinking about getting a 1st generation Vanquish. Anybody of you guy's own one or use to own one. Just like to get some feedback on maintenance etc. I know the clutch sucks. But how is is to own? Currently owning a 2007 DB9, love the car not planning on selling never had any issues, knock on wood.

Any info appreciated!

The clutch really does not suck. If it is driven like a true manual car and not an automatic, then it is a lot of fun and there is nothing wrong with it. My original clutch had 27,000 miles on it when I had it changed last summer. It had wear but didn't really need a new clutch. However, the trans was out for the sensor upgrade so it was more of a "while you are in there" job. Drive any manual car and ride the clutch at lights, in traffic, backing up etc.... and it will wear out pre maturely.
I have actually found it to be more visceral than a true manual car because it automatically matches rpm on downshifts with an intoxicating sound. No worries about a mis shift. I am constantly dropping from 4th to 3rd on the highway and 3rd to 2nd on backroads just to hear the sounds it makes. Turns a lot of heads

brightoncorgi 02-14-2018 06:37 AM

I see a local guy at car shows with a midnight blue one and he says the transmission is a b****. He won't let anyone drive it simply due to the complexity and all the "don't park on a hill" adages to go along with it. That said it's still a stunner. I think he is looking for a different AM model the last time I spoke to him.

DougM 02-14-2018 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by brightoncorgi (Post 4697481)
I see a local guy at car shows with a midnight blue one and he says the transmission is a b****. He won't let anyone drive it simply due to the complexity and all the "don't park on a hill" adages to go along with it. That said it's still a stunner. I think he is looking for a different AM model the last time I spoke to him.

Trans a bi***? Then so are the Corvette and Viper transmissions. They are the same Tremec T56. Bulletproof.
It is quite simple. Drive it like an auto box, which is quite easy to do, and you will prematurely wear out the clutch. Drive it with the thought process that you are driving a manual, and it is a great system...even better because you don't have to rev match or learn heel/toe shifting to run up and down through the gears quickly.
There is an automatic shift mode, but I don't know if that has any different affect on the clutch. I also have never pushed that button
The above mentioned owner is probably scared to drive it because of stories he heard. He is probably also the guy that is scared to stop any manual shift trans at a stop sign or traffic light on an uphill.

I will admit that it would be difficult to drive in heavy traffic frequently due to the rpm release point of the clutch is difficult to maintain and could lead to more wear. However, I never enjoyed driving any past manual sports cars in traffic.

mjanis 02-17-2018 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by skeena river rove (Post 4693234)
Hi Guy's

Any info appreciated!

Not sure if you found your car yet........

But there is a 2005 Vanquish S on Bring a Trailer.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-aston-martin-vanquish-s-3/

rcfurse 02-18-2018 04:28 AM

No clutch worries

The clutch on the 1st gen Vanquish is a worry because although the transmission (T56) is bullet proof, the clutch isn't. It is not that it is weak or inferior. It is that you have very little control of it. Essentially the algorithm that the transmission controller is using is one that says, "when the revs get to 1,100 release the clutch" and "if the revs drop below 1,000 engage the clutch" The rate at which the clutch engages is always the same. ALWAYS. So people are correct when they say drive it like a manual but you can't. You would not release the clutch in the same way every time. You feed it in differently every time because you (the driver) are the feedback loop listening and feeling where and when the clutch bites etc.
Why did Aston make nearly all the DB9's with a paddle shifted planetary box? Because the "Sportshift" was such a success? Try reading the threads about Sportshift II and you will see little has changed. Happily you can get a 6 speed conversion for the Vanquish which is faster shifting, quicker 0-60 and bulletproof in the clutch department because it doesn't have one.