Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Racing seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 08:01 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by era2076
I have a set of Nogaros being shipped. Not sure where they are, but I think they are close. If you can wait, I will post up the weights when I get them.

chr
That's great CHR! What did you end going with for the shell, GRP or carbon? I'm having a hard time justifying the additional cost for carbon. Also did you have them match your leather and do Alcantara in the middle?

I saw on a BMW forum where Cobra was able to reuse OEM seat heating mechanism in new seat (customer supplied), any other hints before I call them?

appreciate you posting the OEM weight with rails and the nogaro with rails. Then we can also compare to BrunoB.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:01 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
I went with GRP. I too could not justify the cost of carbon. Mine are not special. I did not even match the stitching. They are all leather in black.

I will post weights for the both OEM and Cobra with seats and hardware separate.

chr

Old 12-25-2018, 11:31 AM
bolteon is an unknown quantity at this point
When I took Centenary 23 to Chuckwalla with AM San Diego a few weeks ago- after the first half day of lapping, the lack of bolster and thigh support was killing me. Especially since the car is a manual.

I started dreaming about putting in some proper buckets in the car not only to save the existing seat from wear, but to also get me some decent support (my old daily driver was a 1965 Mustang Fastback with Recaro buckets).

Looking at Cobra's offerings, any particular reason why everyone leans towards the Nogaro's? What about railings- who makes them?

Any reason why not to consider the Misano? Deep thigh support for the win...

What about a 4 or 5 point harness? Mounting points?

I'm sure someone here has gone down this route...

Last edited by bolteon; 12-25-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:37 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Nogaro

This new, aggressively styled seat features a similar profile to Cobra's technically advanced race seats but minimises the compromises normally associated when fitting race seats to a regularly used road car. The side and shoulder bolsters offer great levels of body support but allow easy entry and exit and the base profile allows the seat to be mounted very low in the car if that is your favoured driving position. Designed to be used with a standard lap and diagonal seatbelt without modifications but also features harness slots for a 4 point harness if you venture out onto track at the weekend (Circuit version). The Nogaro is available in two shell materials, GRP and Carbon and with or without harness slots in a wide range of fabrics, colours and custom trim options.
I purchased the Circuit.

Allows for incorporation of a harness for track work, but will still work with OEM 3 point belt system for the street.
The least intrusive side bolsters (street), but significant improvement over stock bolsters for track
Cobra has the bracketing worked out for the Vantage
Lighter weight - we are installing manual tracks
Fixed back compromises maintenance e.g. pull seat to replace battery, rear shelf access reduced
Fixed back increases seat rigidity
The Circuit comes setup for submarine belt.

Lot's of seats out there and everything is a compromise. Nogaro was as close as I was willing to go to a full race seat. If we were not tracking the car I would not consider it. It seemed like a good compromise for our purposes. That we can retain and use the 3 point belt system was the deciding factor.

You'll need a harness bar. VAP can help you.

chr

Last edited by era2076; 12-25-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by era2076
I purchased the Circuit.

Allows for incorporation of a harness for track work, but will still work with OEM 3 point belt system for the street.
The least intrusive side bolsters (street), but significant improvement over stock bolsters for track
Cobra has the bracketing worked out for the Vantage
Lighter weight - we are installing manual tracks
Fixed back compromises maintenance e.g. pull seat to replace battery, rear shelf access reduced
Fixed back increases seat rigidity
The Circuit comes setup for submarine belt.

Lot's of seats out there and everything is a compromise. Nogaro was as close as I was willing to go to a full race seat. If we were not tracking the car I would not consider it. It seemed like a good compromise for our purposes. That we can retain and use the 3 point belt system was the deciding factor.

You'll need a harness bar. VAP can help you.

chr
Tip of the hat to you sir...

http://www.velocityap.com/Aston-Mart...tage4point.htm

Just what I was looking for.

I'll put in a call to Cobra about the mounting brackets. I would prefer to just go solid mount with the seat itself.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:18 PM
@Stuart@VelocityAP

Could I bother you for the installation manual on that 4 point half cage? Just want to be mindful of what I'm going to be cutting permanently, the website mentions it's carpet mainly... want to be sure since this is Centenary 23 we're talking about.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:28 PM
FR500GT will become famous soon enoughFR500GT will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bolteon
When I took Centenary 23 to Chuckwalla with AM San Diego a few weeks ago- after the first half day of lapping, the lack of bolster and thigh support was killing me. Especially since the car is a manual.

I started dreaming about putting in some proper buckets in the car not only to save the existing seat from wear, but to also get me some decent support (my old daily driver was a 1965 Mustang Fastback with Recaro buckets).

Looking at Cobra's offerings, any particular reason why everyone leans towards the Nogaro's? What about railings- who makes them?

Any reason why not to consider the Misano? Deep thigh support for the win...

What about a 4 or 5 point harness? Mounting points?

I'm sure someone here has gone down this route...

They hosted a track day this year? I went with Jag/AM last year through Newport Beach but they are currently going through new ownership so they skipped this year. I ended up doing Buttonwillow through Speed District but not in the Vantage.

I'm looking to do fixed seats in the next few months and after sitting in a few different brands/models I'm pretty set on the Racetech RT4009w (Stealth):

[img]https://racetech-usa.com/shop/image/cache/data/seats/4009W-stealth2(800px)-800x800.jpg

Last edited by FR500GT; 12-25-2018 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by FR500GT
They hosted a track day this year? I went with Jag/AM last year through Newport Beach but they are currently going through new ownership so they skipped this year. I ended up doing Buttonwillow through Speed District but not in the Vantage.

I'm looking to do fixed seats in the next few months and after sitting in a few different brands/models I'm pretty set on the Racetech RT4009w (Stealth):

[img]https://racetech-usa.com/shop/image/cache/data/seats/4009W-stealth2(800px)-800x800.jpg
Any particular reason you went with the Racetech route?

Old 12-26-2018, 04:24 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
@Stuart@VelocityAP

Could I bother you for the installation manual on that 4 point half cage? Just want to be mindful of what I'm going to be cutting permanently, the website mentions it's carpet mainly... want to be sure since this is Centenary 23 we're talking about.
There's not one at present. We're just about to make one for another forum member, if you want to get one ordered we could do both at the same time.

Really, your main thing is going to be removing seats and protecting surfaces from being scratched. Once you have marked the locations for your holes, you'll need to drill those with an M10 drill (probably drill pilot holes first) and install rivet nuts with a setting tool.

If you want to do as Cliff had suggested and try to mark out and drill holes in the rear panel, you could also probably manage to slide that over the rear stays instead of cutting a slot. There's not a whole bunch of trimming to do.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 12-27-2018, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
There's not one at present. We're just about to make one for another forum member, if you want to get one ordered we could do both at the same time.

Really, your main thing is going to be removing seats and protecting surfaces from being scratched. Once you have marked the locations for your holes, you'll need to drill those with an M10 drill (probably drill pilot holes first) and install rivet nuts with a setting tool.

If you want to do as Cliff had suggested and try to mark out and drill holes in the rear panel, you could also probably manage to slide that over the rear stays instead of cutting a slot. There's not a whole bunch of trimming to do.
Noted, I'm assuming it's 16 holes that get made then, correct? Those are permanent but are under covers if reversed?

Any photos would be very helpful...

Old 12-27-2018, 12:34 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Noted, I'm assuming it's 16 holes that get made then, correct? Those are permanent but are under covers if reversed?

Any photos would be very helpful...
It's actually a few more than that. We added in some side plates to the hoops on the main feet. Everything can go in without trimming the carpets if you want to keep them in. Won't quite sit flat in the back corner.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 12-27-2018, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
It's actually a few more than that. We added in some side plates to the hoops on the main feet. Everything can go in without trimming the carpets if you want to keep them in. Won't quite sit flat in the back corner.
Very helpful...

So it looks like this back board above the battery tray is the only piece that needs to be cut permanently. Is there a particular name for that board? Just curious on getting a replacement quickly.

The carpet down by the base of the seats I don't mind being out of place slightly...

Old 12-27-2018, 03:32 PM
Basic Sponsor
I don’t know that it has a name per se. certainly we can find the part number and order you one. If you want to make it reversible we actually used some Alcantara and spray adhesive on this car. You could do something similar and then preserve your OEM piece.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:03 PM
If you have a chance, shoot me a part number- I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet, between the cage- the seats (in CF, with refinishing to match the existing leather) and some harnesses... it's a $15k upgrade.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:19 PM
If you have a chance, shoot me a part number- I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet, between the cage- the seats (in CF, with refinishing to match the existing leather) and some harnesses... it's a $15k upgrade.
Actually, according to this:

The part number is:
6G33-60028-ABW

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Racing seats