Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Off-topic: What "Retirement Car?"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 04:06 PM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
Off-topic: What "Retirement Car?"

Ok, apologies for straying, but I respect the inhabitants of this forum, and - after all - as Aston owners we're a bit like a slightly weird family...
I retire in two years. When that happens, my wife and I will likely spend more time on the interstates visiting family members and friends spread throughout the U.S.A. I suspect we could easily do 20-30,000 miles a year.
Now I will keep my DB9 forever and I love it for the occasional drive of a few hundred miles, but I don't see it as my tour bus for the next 10 years. Here's what I want:
-A very "planted," solid, secure vehicle that can cruise safely in a range of weather and road conditions;
-A very comfortable vehicle that won't leave me feeling fried after a 12-hour drive;
-A reliable vehicle that is unlikely to leave me stranded because an obscure piece of technology that's always out of stock has failed.
-Something that might occasionally accommodate others, such as my daughters and their families.
I'm open to a range of vehicles from a converted Mercedes Sprinter van (not an RV, but one of those pre-owned "jetvan" style conversions that's like a private jet interior - no shower and toilet!) to a pre-owned Maybach.
But what are YOUR suggestions?
Thanks!

Last edited by zuman; 01-28-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:17 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Who wants to drive around in their living room? It's something my Dad used to ask as he would drive 180,000 miles in his Rx-7, 240,000 on his MR2, and then 100,000 on his Miata through Colorado winters, over mountain passes and whatever else. Growing up with that mantality, I have to agree that I'd rather drive a car that keeps me involved and awake than one that lulls me to sleep.

But from your description, you really are looking for a Suburban. It covers all of those bases, is just about as reliable as anything you can buy, and anyone, anywhere in the country can work on it. A Mercedes would be a mistake.

Last edited by blue2000s; 02-01-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:44 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
^^ Agree. If you really are going to be travelling to Anywhere, USA, buy domestic. Something big like a Suburban is going to be great over long distances on the Interstate, with enough room for plenty of cargo and people at the same time. Nothing is really low tech anymore, but it's about as low tech as you can get (or at least as ubiquitous tech as you can get). From a safety point of view, it's also a lot of metal, which is a good thing as statistically you are going to be exposing yourself to an increased crash risk, simply due to the distances you plan to travel. The only problem will be the fuel consumption, but everything is a tradeoff.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:52 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
4 wheel Drive 6.7 L Diesel F250. Run studs all around in winter and you will roll. I've put 100k on mine in 3.5 years. It does it all. To Billings and back to Portland at Christmas. Snow from Coeur d'Lane to Billings. Cars in the ditch every where going and coming. 80 mph - no problem. Tows a covered trailer with a track car at 70. Mine is a Lariat and very nicely appointed including a limited slip with an electric locker. Get a short box if you can and put a cap on it -. will carry everything. The 6.7 is really something. Not glamorous but extremely functional.

chr

Old 01-28-2018, 06:52 PM
GCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond repute
Granturismo S. best highway cruiser ive had. and that is over my continental gt. useable back seats as well, ive put more stuff in it than probally anyone else anywhere in the world many times back and forth from fl to pa and does 27mpg

4dr id get a mulsanne hands down.

Last edited by GCBC; 01-28-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:37 PM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Miles in style

If you want large, with command seating and the latest tech, with the ability to travel effortless miles, check out the all new 2019 Lincoln Navigator. For concierge amenities look in to their Black Label editions, top of the line. Multiple unique exterior colors and interior trims; sharp. Saw them at the Detroit Auto Show last week; impressive.

My wife and I have the next step down on the Lincoln SUV ladder, a MK X (to be renamed, Nautilus, for 2019, announced at an auto show press conference). If this appeals be sure to test drive a twin turbo V6. You will be amazed at its power and agility for a vehicle of its size.

We head to Sarasota's Siesta Key in it this weekend. Luxurious motoring, hop scotching down from our Michigan winter to milder climes. Even southern Ohio is usually 10 degrees warmer. On this trip we will hit Ashville, Charleston, Savanna, Jacksonville and St Pete en route. Wife's an antiquer, me too.

We have projected 4,maybe 5 days for the journey.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:41 PM
skeena river rove is on a distinguished road
I would go with a Range Rover. We is driving a LR4 what is great but we are looking for the new VELAR. i think it's a great car. If you need the space go full size range rover.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:34 PM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
Get a Mercedes S550

Originally Posted by zuman
Ok, apologies for straying, but I respect the inhabitants of this forum, and - after all - as Aston owners we're a bit like a slightly weird family...
I retire in two years. When that happens, my wife and I will likely spend more time on the interstates visiting family members and friends spread throughout the U.S.A. I suspect we could easily do 20-30,000 miles a year.
Now I will keep my DB9 forever and I love it for the occasional drive of a few hundred miles, but I don't see it as my tour bus for the next 10 years. Here's what I want:
-A very "planted," solid, secure vehicle that can cruise safely in a range of weather and road conditions;
-A very comfortable vehicle that won't leave me feeling fried after a 12-hour drive;
-A reliable vehicle that is unlikely to leave me stranded because an obscure piece of technology that's always out of stock has failed.
-Something that might occasionally accommodate others, such as my daughters and their families.
I'm open to a range of vehicles from a converted Mercedes Sprinter van (not an RV, but one of those pre-owned "jetvan" style conversions that's like a private jet interior - no shower and toilet!) to a pre-owned Maybach.
But what are YOUR suggestions?
Thanks!
If you want a car that is engaging, comfortable on a long road trip, has room for 5 people with a spacious trunk. I would go with a late model Mercedes Benz S550. It is the gold standard of 4 door sedans.

I have had a 2003 S430 and now have a 2007 S550 along with my 2007 AM DB9 Volante. Hands down it is the most comfortable road car I have ever had.

My family is spread out and we have regularly driven between our home in Northern California and my daughter's house in Southern California. We've done trips to Palm Springs, Scottsdale AZ, Napa, Mendocino, Yosemite, just to name a few.

We put about 25k miles per year on the S430 and sold it with over 200k on the clock. We sold it not because the car was worn out, but because we got the S550. If you take good care of it, don't defer any maintenance, it is a car you can keep a long time and not worry about putting a lot of miles on it.

The cars are not inexpensive to maintain, we we're spending about $2500 per year all in. Brakes, tires, oil changes, and the random repair expenses that pop up.

That's my experience, but it really comes down to your individual preferences.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:58 AM
Senatorblutarsky will become famous soon enoughSenatorblutarsky will become famous soon enough
I like your idea of a converted Sprinter. We have one at work and have had zero problems in four years. It drives more like a car than a truck, and you can't beat being able to lie down flat for an hour while your wife drives. I would try to rent one for a month before making that radical a choice.

My wife has been driving a Ford Flex for five years. Together we have five kids and it comfortably seats 7 and some luggage as well. It is very well designed and has decent amenities available. I drove it from Connecticut to Florida and found it very comfortable.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:47 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
A co-worker has a decked out Sprinter and it's really something. Beyond what is mentioned, how about a Jaguar XJ, Aston Maritn Rapide, Suburban, or Toyota Land Cruiser?

Old 01-29-2018, 10:53 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
First decide on how often you plan to take others on your trips... if it is only once in a while... opt to rent a suburban...

i put about 30-35,000 miles a year on a daily driver and hands down my 2016 Volvo V60 with leather sport seats is the most comfortable seat I've ever had in a car... I've had MB, BMW, Porsche and few other luxury vehicles...i habe about 60k on it now and will turn it over @100k... if you want something bigger look at the 90 series...I was at first hesitant but after my first 4 hour trip...I was sold

Old 01-29-2018, 10:56 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MRCW
First decide on how often you plan to take others on your trips... if it is only once in a while... opt to rent a suburban...

i put about 30-35,000 miles a year on a daily driver and hands down my 2016 Volvo V60 with leather sport seats is the most comfortable seat I've ever had in a car... I've had MB, BMW, Porsche and few other luxury vehicles...i habe about 60k on it now and will turn it over @100k... if you want something bigger look at the 90 series...I was at first hesitant but after my first 4 hour trip...I was sold
Our 2015 S60 has been flawless and V90 is high on our list to replace our Jaguar XE once its lease ends. 30K and not one mechanical fault.

Volvo make the most comfortable seats many say and I wouldn't dispute that.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:58 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skeena river rove
I would go with a Range Rover. We is driving a LR4 what is great but we are looking for the new VELAR. i think it's a great car. If you need the space go full size range rover.
He said he wanted something that wouldn't leave him stranded. Coming from the guy who owns an Aston, considered by the uneducated to be really unreliable.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:19 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Jeep srt8

I had great luck with my first gen Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. The current body is a step up in every way. AWD, and a real blast to drive with the powerband. Maintenance and parts are very reasonable. (I was never a Jeep guy, but had near zero unexpected maintenance over 4 years of ownership) Not Suburban big, but plenty of space if you are not carting around kid stuff. I can absolutely see getting another one.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:46 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Corvette is a good choice, has some luggage room and you can't kill that drivetrain with a shotgun and gets good gas mileage.
Next choice would be a Honda Accord, but if you wanted higher end, get a Jag XJ or F-Pace. I have an 01 XK8 and it had some teething issues, cam chain guides and seat wear, but other than that only a radiator in 80,000 miles and 8 yrs of ownership.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.