Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New V8V Owner - Some Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 09:56 AM
jamesfromhouston is an unknown quantity at this point
New V8V Owner - Some Questions

Hi gents!

I've finally pulled the trigger and bought myself a 2009 V8V V 4.7 Sportshift with 17k miles from a buddy of mine.

This is my first Aston and also my first exotic. Been largely driving modern autos before this. So I am a happy owner!

I know jumping into the V8V SS is a whole new world. So I tried my best to do research beforehand and learnt about the quirks of the transmission as much as I could from 6Speed (so thanks guys!).

Anyway, the past few days I have been daily driving the V8V, its been fun but I have a few questions I couldn't find answers to:

1) When on an incline/uphill, the car does not have a hold function like most modern cars. So it rolls back. What is the correct procedure to go from stop to start without rolling back?

2) When dealing with start and stop traffic; should I try to keep the car above 6 mph to preserve clutch life? Should I have my foot pressing on the accel pedal to prevent crawl? Whats the best way to approach start and stop when daily driving it?

3) Is it normal to smell the clutch burn/burn smell on reverse or very slow turns?

4) I noticed the car drives very bumpy and shaky when I go over slightly rougher roads with rocks, speed humps and/or grooved road paint. Is this normal or a sign that the shock/springs are gone?

5) I noticed the infotainment screen has weird warped lines and white marks that are clear during day light. What part must I buy to replace it? Is it difficult to replace?

6) The head lights fog up slightly during rain, mainly on the lower corner edges. Is this normal? Should I be worried about it? Tail lights are fine though.

7) Is it fine to remove the muffler and straight pipe the car? I would like louder exhaust besides doing the Fuse 22 removal.

8) Sometimes I find it very hard to release the hand brake when I pull it up all the way. Especially when I am on a hill. Sometimes its easy to put it down, other times; I have to try several times to the dismay of the drivers behind me. Is this normal? Or just my lack of practice.

9) When dealing with valets. Is it fine to hand the keys over to them? Or should I insist parking it myself.

10) When stopped at traffic, do I always have to put it in N to preserve clutch life or is it fine to just hold down the brake pedal?

Appreciate the feedback bros!

-James

Last edited by jamesfromhouston; 01-10-2022 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:16 PM
txtonyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome James !

Am no expert on the questions you propose, except for #9. I would NEVER hand over keys to any valet. Although Houston is rampant with excessive and needless valet parking locations, I avoid using them. On the rare occasion where I am forced to use it, I park the car, provide a tip to attendant, and keep the keys. Or I go elsewhere.

In addition, if you are interested in joining some other locals in Houston (presuming your screen name means not only from but also IN Houston now), please shoot me a PM with some contact info and I can coordinate.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:42 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
So your buddy left town and won't answer the phone?

Old 01-10-2022, 01:43 PM
TiAg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jamesfromhouston
Hi gents!

2) When dealing with start and stop traffic; should I try to keep the car above 6 mph to preserve clutch life? Should I have my foot pressing on the accel pedal to prevent crawl? Whats the best way to approach start and stop when daily driving it? I usually pop it into neutral (pull both paddles together) and let the car coast to a stop.

6) The head lights fog up slightly during rain, mainly on the lower corner edges. Is this normal? Should I be worried about it? Tail lights are fine though. Common issue. There are some fixes if you search the forum / google

7) Is it fine to remove the muffler and straight pipe the car? I would like louder exhaust besides doing the Fuse 22 removal. If you want to make it louder, I would suggest removing the secondary cats. If you want to change the pitch higher, you can add an x-pipe. I have both and it sounds perfect.

8) Sometimes I find it very hard to release the hand brake when I pull it up all the way. Especially when I am on a hill. Sometimes its easy to put it down, other times; I have to try several times to the dismay of the drivers behind me. Is this normal? Or just my lack of practice. Happens to me every now and then. Gets better with practice.

10) When stopped at traffic, do I always have to put it in N to preserve clutch life or is it fine to just hold down the brake pedal? I usually put it in neutral since its easy enough but someone else can chime in with more info and best practices here.

-James
See above.

Old 01-10-2022, 02:02 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Hi gents!

I've finally pulled the trigger and bought myself a 2009 V8V V 4.7 Sportshift with 17k miles from a buddy of mine.

This is my first Aston and also my first exotic. Been largely driving modern autos before this. So I am a happy owner!

I know jumping into the V8V SS is a whole new world. So I tried my best to do research beforehand and learnt about the quirks of the transmission as much as I could from 6Speed (so thanks guys!).

Anyway, the past few days I have been daily driving the V8V, its been fun but I have a few questions I couldn't find answers to:

1) When on an incline/uphill, the car does not have a hold function like most modern cars. So it rolls back. What is the correct procedure to go from stop to start without rolling back?

2) When dealing with start and stop traffic; should I try to keep the car above 6 mph to preserve clutch life? Should I have my foot pressing on the accel pedal to prevent crawl? Whats the best way to approach start and stop when daily driving it?

3) Is it normal to smell the clutch burn/burn smell on reverse or very slow turns?

4) I noticed the car drives very bumpy and shaky when I go over slightly rougher roads with rocks, speed humps and/or grooved road paint. Is this normal or a sign that the shock/springs are gone?

5) I noticed the infotainment screen has weird warped lines and white marks that are clear during day light. What part must I buy to replace it? Is it difficult to replace?

6) The head lights fog up slightly during rain, mainly on the lower corner edges. Is this normal? Should I be worried about it? Tail lights are fine though.

7) Is it fine to remove the muffler and straight pipe the car? I would like louder exhaust besides doing the Fuse 22 removal.

8) Sometimes I find it very hard to release the hand brake when I pull it up all the way. Especially when I am on a hill. Sometimes its easy to put it down, other times; I have to try several times to the dismay of the drivers behind me. Is this normal? Or just my lack of practice.

9) When dealing with valets. Is it fine to hand the keys over to them? Or should I insist parking it myself.

10) When stopped at traffic, do I always have to put it in N to preserve clutch life or is it fine to just hold down the brake pedal?

-James
I also have a 2009 with ASM.
no hills in Florida so I can't help...

Stop and go is not great...I rarely encounter this as my Aston is not a daily driver. Crawl function is works well to keep the car moving slowly on level ground.

The clutch is the weak link in the car. I replaced mine at about 25k miles. Reverse is especially bad because the reverse gear is tall...I try to avoid reverse whenever I can. Also remember the transmission is a true manual that shifts hydraulically without a 3rd pedal.

The car can be stiff, especially with sport pack suspension, an option on my car. I also have 20" wheels which makes it even more stiff. However my steering or drivetrain is not loose or bumpy so you may have some worn components.

my radio display is a little scratched... you can replace the small plastic screen if you want.

My headlights have some slight condensation only briefly, when I drive early in mornings. I leave my lights on all the time. I do not driv car in the rain much. Leaking eadlights an taillights are a very known problem.

I have straight pipes on my car. Sound is glorious.

Never give car to valet... pay them however (I was a valet in college tp help pay for school so I have a soft spot...) but park the car yourself

When I'm at a prolonged stop, I shift into neutral... old habit from manual days.

Welcome to the club.

Old 01-10-2022, 03:54 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Hi gents!

-James
I also have a 2009 with ASM.
no hills in Florida so I can't help...

Stop and go is not great...I rarely encounter this as my Aston is not a daily driver. Crawl function is works well to keep the car moving slowly on level ground.

The clutch is the weak link in the car. I replaced mine at about 25k miles. Reverse is especially bad because the reverse gear is tall...I try to avoid reverse whenever I can. Also remember the transmission is a true manual that shifts hydraulically without a 3rd pedal.

The car can be stiff, especially with sport pack suspension, an option on my car. I also have 20" wheels which makes it even more stiff. However my steering or drivetrain is not loose or bumpy so you may have some worn components.

my radio display is a little scratched... you can replace the small plastic screen if you want.

My headlights have some slight condensation only briefly, when I drive early in mornings. I leave my lights on all the time. I do not driv car in the rain much. Leaking eadlights an taillights are a very known problem.

I have straight pipes on my car. Sound is glorious.

Never give car to valet... pay them however (I was a valet in college tp help pay for school so I have a soft spot...) but park the car yourself

When I'm at a prolonged stop, I shift into neutral... old habit from manual days.

Welcome to the club.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:09 PM
jamesfromhouston is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the input brothers.

Hoping to hear from more of you!

-James

Old 01-11-2022, 06:49 AM
bobdisp will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by J doubleU
So your buddy left town and won't answer the phone?
Always on point J. Your knowledge and wit does not go unnoticed....

Old 01-11-2022, 07:29 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
I'm on here to learn too. Enjoy and give advice even if it's not correct it's 100% free. Best advice on a new to you sport shift is have the clutch counts read to determine life. Make sure it has the last updated version of software. Make sure brake switch is adjusted correctly & wait for the clutch learn on start-up.

Old 01-11-2022, 11:18 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Start saving fir a new clutch….

Old 01-11-2022, 02:15 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
How many miles on the car? If you have the sport pack suspension it is stiff, but I find it handles bumps pretty well. If you are bouncing around then something isn't right.

Burnt clutch is never a good smell. I have a stick shift, but from what I've read backing up with the ASM is to be avoided.

Sounds like your LCD screen may have problems. First is to determine if it's the screen or something else. There are posts on here where people have replaced the screen.

Valet parking is something you have to decide. I don't worry about it too much. Most places an Aston will get parked up front so I just stand there and watch while the valet parks it. You can ask to park it yourself, but be prepared if they say no. If it's one of those places where they just want to valet park everyone's car in some big lot then I would definitely ask to park it myself, but I try not to drive the Aston to places like that. For nicer restaurants I'm not too concerned.

Old 01-12-2022, 11:11 AM
JaguarSVR is an unknown quantity at this point
A valet would have to pry my "emotion control unit" from my cold, dead fingers.....

Old 01-12-2022, 04:08 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I had a 2009 Sportshift:

The hill hold is on later Sportshifts - the indicator shows an H - yours does not.
Not sure of what preserves the clutch - they are terrible with flaws from the factory. My 2017 V12S - new 50 total miles was inspected before they shipped it to me and found the clutch was bad! Some get 70K miles other far less. When the cluch goes get a dual clutch installed (non Aston part) - fixes the ills.
Clutch smell kinda like bad fish - avoid reverse, and totally avoid uphill reverse. I was almost rear ended at a red light so I floored the car and poped the clutch and saw what I thought was my tires burning rubber, and then I smelled the bad fish smell and figured I smoked the clutch - not the rubber, still, the clutch was fine after 25K miles of hard driving (a 2007 6-speed manual).
The bumpy and shaky is an easy fix - swap the stock tires for PS4's a world of difference.

Old 01-12-2022, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
The bumpy and shaky is an easy fix - swap the stock tires for PS4's a world of difference.
Yes... good call. The OEM Bridgestone's are pretty awful