6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   SportShift ASM Shifting 2009 V8V (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/417603-sportshift-asm-shifting-2009-v8v.html)

MRCW 02-11-2018 01:19 PM

SportShift ASM Shifting 2009 V8V

So several months in to great ownership with the Vantage, the time comes to start teaching my wife the joys of driving the Aston. I got a SportShift because she did not want to fight with the 3rd pedal.

I have a copy of the SportShift Guide and read thru it again before we venture out on the road together with me in the passenger seat (not a pleasant experience in any car mind you...)

In my manuals, at a stop, I have always released the clutch, idle in neutral with brake and then engage into 1st gear when ready to move. In the Vantage, after I come to a stop, I pull back both paddles and sit in idle. In the SportShift Driving Guide, there is really no mention of this procedure.

Also, if in Auto-driving Mode, "D," what the transmission and clutch do then? While I've never really driven in "D," other than to show my wife how it works, I suspect she will likely use this mode when she drives...

Any thoughts or guidance on this would be appreciated... Also and tips from those who taught others how to drive the SportShift.

Thanks

jmargolese 02-11-2018 04:28 PM

Your procedure with the paddles is exactly what I have done for years. Saves the clutch... as for driving in D, my wife never drives the car so no clue! But a small percent in idle with the gear engaged will not kill it.

Enjoy

Aldv 02-11-2018 05:34 PM

Hi..I have exact 09 ASM transmission. Ok...first Everytime you start the car...do the clutch learn procedure. Mine has the software upgrade so the fob area changes from bright to dull color.
if yours does not change then wait around 5-10 seconds and you will hear a click...clutch learned. There is some that claim the AC should be off as you do not hear the click or the clutch learn is not effective...you decide.

I use the AC off to err on the safe side.

Oh... congratulations on your purchase...please post pictures.

Next...using drive is ok for your wife..mine uses only. Once you can teach her the paddles she will enjoy...mine is hard headed so d it is...lol

Please do not use comfort mode...it really screws with the transmission and I feel helps ruin it overtime.

On the ASM...when using the paddle mode it puts the car in sport mode. You do not need to drop in n at lights. Actually better not too as slamming in d and high rpms at start slams the clutch and transfers to rear which can cause damage.

On the ASM there are methods you can read on the poor man's launch control...you will cause 20000 damage to trans axle...but many threats say great fun.

Also it is best after car sits for a week- two before driving to stop and start car a few times for clutch learn as then will work better in crawl mode. Best to apply gas and fool car so it does not work often as car will jump...you will learn.

If sports model like mine...little harder ride then non sports package cars but in corners etc...out of sight...most cars can not keep up in corners.

When upshifting..let up a little on gas peddle...then smoother shifts. The gears will go high..almost 100 before 4th when pushing the car.

I pulled the 22 fuse and the sound is nice but people do notice if you live in a quiet neighborhood.

On a recent trip to Florida...I cruised speed and 10 extra most times...but when other cars challenged...dropped to 4th and floored...have aspirin on hand for your wife as her head will be snapped back and not happy...lol

The ASM is a fast shift car with paddles...buy Grants book and you will be surprised outshifts any stick...stick guys love their feel of the car but until the gears are warm can not get into gear or have problems throwing cables when power shift too hard...many threats here and Piston heads.

Remember this car is controlled by the ASM ECU that tells the engine ECU what to do...so making the paddles fun...

Next you have a gear hold software...when speeding into corners if going fast enough a light comes on and holds the gear for you...in case you release off the gas quick letting you pick.

Do not be surprised you wear the Front rotors first on ASM...as the car will apply the brake on any wheel to help you keep control..I drive aggressive...so I wear brakes...I have a few roads that everytime I have my car out that I do 125-150..never got to 170 yet...

Be ready to shave and dress nice as your car will be always on display...lol people are always taking pics of mine...

Hey..any exact questions please pm if needed

Safe driving

​​​​​​

MRCW 02-11-2018 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Aldv (Post 4696912)

Oh... congratulations on your purchase...please post pictures.

​​​​​​

Here are a few pictures... most all options...sport pack, meteorite silver and grey interior. 200 cats and muffler delete pipes. 20" wheels... runs and sounds greathttps://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...252df654c3.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...b2dfc7238c.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...98ae037878.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...204fb10f10.jpg

Aldv 02-11-2018 06:13 PM

Nice...you should post in 6speed member area too.
your car has been modified nice...did they tune too?

No need for fuse removal....lol

One thing I forgot...you may want to have AM dealer do the inspection and tell you any problems. Also these cars are based on yearly service not miles.

Hopefully the prior owner gave you the service work done and the original parts changed... Otherwise hard to trade at a dealer...only private sale then when you trade up ...

Nice car...I wish you well

Duke

rocketboots999 02-11-2018 07:44 PM

I also have the ASM. I heard through 2 different Aston dealers that the trick is not so much to lift your foot on the up-change, but roll (squeeze?) your toes a little. I was initially dubious, but once I got used to it, I found the effect of that trick to be more consistently smooth for me than actually lifting off slightly.

Aldv 02-11-2018 08:03 PM

Rocket...Yes...I should let you edit my replies. I do not lift off either...just give it a spit second to shift.

The other common example that happens is the shifts are swift and if you do not push in the gas after shifting you can get a jerking feel. This happens to be when changing gear and take my foot off the gas as I am too close to the car in front. So now I use the current gear longer...

I try to downshift but only to second gear as the ASM goes down into first better. I have found over time the car seems to know my shift points ...yes laugh but I believe...lol

If any guys have the tune on an 09 and up you should post and let know if it fixed the crawl feature.

Safe driving

rcfurse 02-12-2018 02:34 AM

Sportshift

Perhaps it would help you guys if I explain how the software running the sportshift system works. It derives from the system they first used on the Vanquish (the 2003 one). It is no more or less than a hydraulically actuated clutch and a robot to select the gears, all controlled by an ECU. The software has got better over the years but the basic principles are the same.
In most modern sports cars the engine power is greater than the limits of the gearbox in certain situations so companies have developed Torque Management solutions. This is where the gearbox ECU says "You will put too much power through the box if you shift up here so please back off for 10 millseconds etc" Normally the "backoff" is done by retarding the spark or reducing the fuel for a short while. Companies spend a lot of time working on these shift points to try and get a smooth shift in both automated manual and full auto gearboxes.
In the original Vanquish Aston used a slightly cruder tool. They knew that when (say) you changed up from 2nd at 4,000 rpm that (say) the engine speed in 3rd would be (say) 3,250 rpm. So they just killed the spark until the revs got to 3,250! I imagine that AML have become slightly more sophisticated but the principle will still be the same. So, if upshifting you will need to ease slightly to get a smoother shift. In my Vanquish I simply put a modern 6 speed auto into it just like the DB9, DBS etc.

XJRS Owner 02-12-2018 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by jmargolese (Post 4696904)
Your procedure with the paddles is exactly what I have done for years. Saves the clutch... as for driving in D, my wife never drives the car so no clue! But a small percent in idle with the gear engaged will not kill it.

Enjoy

Why do you think this saves the clutch? In gear or in neutral, the clutch is disengaged from the flywheel so there is no surface wear.

Prefurbia 02-12-2018 08:08 AM

My 2009 Vantage was my first experience with the Sportshift having a 6 speed manual 2007 before. The largest problem with that transmission is that the sales staff at AM did not properly train the buyers after sales, and instead drivers using the miserable 'D' button often quickly returned the car.

My wife loved being interactive with the throttle and loves to 'drive' my Vantages. As far as 'learn' of the clutch I waited 10 seconds after starting the car at all times. When I upgraded to a 2015 GT, there is an indication after the clutch is learned, which is about 1 or 2 seconds. So 10 seconds should be more than enough.

On my 2009, I was the 4th owner - the clutch was first replaced on the owner after me at about 45,000 miles, so no need to worry about clutch wear, especially on a used car, as you have no idea if it was abused before, or properly driven. If it goes, it goes.

I NEVER put the car in neutral at a stop, still don't.

Since my 2009 and 2015 GT. I've had two other ASM Vantages, both V12S. The first V12S was a 'Certified Timeless', that was sold on deceptive terms. It had been previously driven hard and when it was replaced I could 'feel' the difference in the transmission shifting on the replacement locally driven normally. The V12S SM is a better shifting unit, and I have no idea why Aston would not have simply made the change on the V8's, not to say that your 2009 ASM is bad at all, just the V12S ASM is better.

I'd teach your wife how to drive the ASM properly - like mine she will enjoy it better after a few days getting used to it. I have no problem with my wife driving the V12S.

Aldv 02-12-2018 08:19 AM

Certified timeless program? Wow I thought that was only used for PR so if you bought an older car Aston Martin would be able to take your chassis number etc... And help you rebuild your car from parts they could manufacture...thus a customer for life.

I did not know for modern cars...

Prefurbia 02-12-2018 08:45 AM

I mentioned this in past posts in more detail. Aston replaced the car, but for ANY 'Timeless Certified' Aston Martin DEMAND complete history before buying, and that CarFax means zero because if it was a factory owned car and crashed, it would have been fixed internally, so no records. Any Aston Martin pre-owned can be abused by the previous owner, unfortunately since Aston passes off company owned cars as certified, buyer beware. When buying a Toyota Camry certified, you pretty much know the car's not been tracked its entire life, not so with an Aston. Anyway, the company did OK by me, so I'm satisfied with my 'replacement'.

Aldv 02-12-2018 08:58 AM

Hi Prefurbia... I appreciate you updated me. I have this confused with another program they offered for PR value on older cars I read about that is a TIMELESS program.

Thanks!

ASMVantage 01-13-2022 01:16 PM

Starting up a hill

I have a 2009. The way I start on a steep hill is to hold the brake with left foot, then hit the gas just before letting off the brake. This gets it up to 6MPH for full engagement fairly quick. If it's just an upgrade, I just let off the brake and hit the gas as usual but push on the accel pedal a little harder to get to 6MPH faster. The engagement is about the same as if I were a straight manual.

Driving in Traffic

I usually wait for car in front of me to pull up by about 2 car lengths before closing the gap. Cuts the use of the clutch in half vs pulling up when they do.

Burned Clutch Smell

Burning the clutch was part of my learning process. I tried all sorts of things to keep from burning on hills. Get the twin plate clutch. I went with the AMR clutch (6G33-11-10821) since it was only $2900 back in 2020. I'm not saying the AMR works in all ASM's but it did for me. Took a long time to learn the ASM but totally worth it at this point.

colemanlogic 01-13-2022 03:42 PM

Beauty, MCRW....love that color combo....congrats!

Originally Posted by rocketboots999 (Post 4696928)
I also have the ASM. I heard through 2 different Aston dealers that the trick is not so much to lift your foot on the up-change, but roll (squeeze?) your toes a little. I was initially dubious, but once I got used to it, I found the effect of that trick to be more consistently smooth for me than actually lifting off slightly.

Tell me a little more about that "roll your toes" technique. I'm a recent owner as well, getting used to the ASM...still lifting off, but definitely looking for ways to smooth out my shifting...