Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

just joined and need some advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 05:48 PM
branjk is an unknown quantity at this point
just joined and need some advice

i have been following this forum for months. I had 'divine' inspiration about 3 months ago to look at getting a weekend drive car. Always loved the AM Vantage, and started doing research. I have read many articles, watched way to many YouTube videos, and bought the Definitive Guide for Aston Martin-Grant Neal. So given my budget i have narrowed it down to a Vantage MY 2012+, absolutely a 6 speed manual and coupe. I came across the GT version, which is interesting since it seems to have the performance aspects but just scaled down interior. I have even thought about the V12, just not sure I want to spend the extra $20-25K. The plan is to just drive on local roads, given it is Florida-straight and flat. Maybe take it to the track, but a little concerned about that thought. Finally, I am likely going for a CPO- 1 year warranty. I guess it gives me confidence that the car is clean and up to snuff. I would greatly appreciate any feed back, hearing it from real owners carries so much weight.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:58 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
What's your price range would be first question. Plenty of AM dealers and probably a lot of indy places to fix it so you are good there.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:11 AM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Take your time and the right car will come along. Don’t disregard the ASM, especially the vantage S. I had my heart set on a manual, like you, and I ended up buying a V8VS after a very convincing test drive. I would recommend that you try all variants.

Good luck.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:17 AM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Welcome- There are alot Florida owners as well as excellent support on this forum. Good luck on your search. Once your an own you'll ask yourself why you waited !!

Old 02-12-2018, 08:13 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
The GT is an incredible car - essentially the same as a Vantage S but without the high cost - I had one - fantastic value. Now I have a V12S - more unique and special, but frankly I found the GT a more enjoyable daily driver with $2000 less insurance cost and 40% better local gas mileage. I think overall, long term, the V12S or any V12 Vantage is a better investment - not that any Vantage is a great investment, but the V12's are more 'special'.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:46 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
the V8 is plenty fast enough to get you in trouble on straight flat roads

Old 02-12-2018, 09:59 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
I think overall, long term, the V12S or any V12 Vantage is a better investment - not that any Vantage is a great investment, but the V12's are more 'special'.
Would agree on this. V8 is more a race bred engine, but the V12 is certainly more special and top of the range. Just looks the ***** too.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:02 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
You are headed in a good direction and will love the car. I am in West Palm Beach and can recommend a great Indy shop. The local AM dealership is also very nice to work with if you really need something there. PM me if you are local.

Cheers!

Old 02-12-2018, 10:50 AM
thanks for the feedback. Agree with once I settle in on a car, I will be happy with it. The main issue is driving them, since they are a rare breed. I drove one, 2012 V8, manual and like it. I did think the clutch was little heavy, but I guess you get used to it. They do seem to be well built cars. Do any of you take them to the track?

Old 02-12-2018, 11:09 AM
The clutch is heavy on these cars and easy to stall out of nowhere if you don't pay attention on the rev's when at a stop in neutral. I did not find shifting from start as mindless and "auto pilot" as other manual cars. The gearbox is really smooth.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:33 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
As others said, wait for the perfect car and don't settle. Make sure it has all the options you want. The manuals are more rare and will command a price premium. What you want is a 2012.5+ car. There were some changes half-way through 2012; the book will tell you what.

Happy hunting.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:10 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
+1 on being patient for the right car to pop up. I spent months casually watching the listing sites before mine appeared (it was configured closely-enough to how I'd have done it), and I ended up flying across the country to get it (and enjoying the greatest drive home in history).

The V12s might hold their value better (and if some sites' predictions are accurate, will command a premium in the future as one of the last NA V12s, especially if you can grab a manual one), but I love the balance and looks of my V8 GT, so don't get the impression that all V8 owners aspire to be V12 owners (I absolutely don't). And whether you're doing 4.4 to 60 in a V8 GT or 3.7 to 60 in a V12, it's stupid fast for the streets.

Buying the book was a correct step. Read every section that matters to you, then read it again. I went to the dealership with a Google Keep checklist of things to look at, derived from the book. My best advice pertains to this point: when you're looking at one that fits what you want and that you can buy, your heart will say "buy it immediately." They're that gorgeous (I remember walking into the showroom and thinking that Aston Martins somehow always look better in person than in pictures). And the salesman will want you to drive it right away because he/she knows that'll be the outcome. But don't let your heart override logic... I spent 30-45 minutes inspecting the car before I agreed to take it for a test drive. If you still feel good about it, then take it out.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:12 PM
thanks for the advice everyone. I agree that the Aston, especially the Vantage has 'IT' when it comes to looks. Also being patient is the key, as hard as that may be. I will keep you up to date on the process.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:14 PM
V8 and V12 sound so different.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:35 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Mathman85
And whether you're doing 4.4 to 60 in a V8 GT or 3.7 to 60 in a V12, it's stupid fast for the streets.
I beg to differ, you can never be too stupid or too fast for the street
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
V8 and V12 sound so different.
When I drove a V12S in NB last month, that exhaust note was just divine. It gave me goose pimples for a second!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: just joined and need some advice