Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Ooops! That's not going to be cheap.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 11:05 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
No the corporate V12S failed, my replacement which was a 'normal' private owner runs just fine.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:23 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Ahhh, I read that right before I turned in and replied this morning. Obviously I read that wrong [very wrong]. But thankfully that car is no longer your problem, I could see that happening sooner than later, not quite this soon though!

Old 02-13-2018, 11:35 AM
rcfurse will become famous soon enoughrcfurse will become famous soon enough
Engine failure

As someone who has looked at a fair few heads I don't think I have ever seen the inside of an engine look that dry before - looks like a lubrication problem- the chirping sounds like a dry bearing ripping itself apart. Could something else have failed and blocked a gallery?

Old 02-13-2018, 12:12 PM
OnyxVantage is an unknown quantity at this point
I’m so sorry this has happened to you and hope you will get this mess sorted out. BTW, how many miles and is it a 4.3 or a 4.7 ?

Old 02-13-2018, 01:46 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
The cams and entire head look really dry. Did they dry it off somehow before taking those pictures?

Old 02-13-2018, 02:25 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rcfurse
As someone who has looked at a fair few heads I don't think I have ever seen the inside of an engine look that dry before - looks like a lubrication problem- the chirping sounds like a dry bearing ripping itself apart. Could something else have failed and blocked a gallery?
I thought the same thing when I first saw the picture, but it is 8 days post mortum and maybe the tilt to get it on the flatbed pulled it all to the back, but yes, it did look dry, and, is that casting slag in the gullies or is that just a ton of metal??

It's a ton of chips, chunks, and shavings. I just went up and looked at it and there's more coming. Wait for it. When I can say I will. But there is an important reason why everyone should have their cars serviced at the dealer.

Last edited by HabitualOffender; 02-13-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:30 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, don't know what to say... I also don't have extended warranty as I never believe in them as it is never the parts under warranty that fails. Good luck and keep us posted

Old 02-13-2018, 04:12 PM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
But there is an important reason why everyone should have their cars serviced at the dealer.
Is it because dealer techs never make mistakes?

Old 02-13-2018, 04:23 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Of the 10 years I've owned Vantages, I gotta say overall service has been extremely good - First at lake Forest, then locally in Minneapolis at Morries. Only one mistake - Lake Forest replaced a door seal and botched it (the new seal hung outside the door) and they paid Morries (not yet an Aston dealer back then) to replace the seal. Other than that zero problems or complaints (other than $$$$).

Old 02-13-2018, 06:56 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
Theres clearly not enough oil there , the cam lobes are bone dry .
Something oil related happened and the failures are the results of it . JMHO

Old 02-13-2018, 07:41 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
I just found this thread, don't know how I missed it. This would make me sick, I always purchase the extended warranty, just for my peace of mind.
Keep us informed.
Ron

Old 02-13-2018, 08:32 PM
You guys are really good. It was definitely oil strangulation that blew up the top end. How many times has this board figured out a problem in less than a few days?! The cam under the shattered caps was bone dry and chewed deep, and that back half was broken off at the first shattered cap. I could see that big V chunk out of the cam in the pictures, I thought, yea that's all shattered. There were some violent explosions on that side. Who knows what the other side looks like, that side was inspected because the head blew out the cam cover! LOL

Did you know those were plasticish? I'm sure there's a technical name for the stuff but those are not metal cam covers. I never knew that.

I'm in and out with a touch of pneumonia trying to kick me when I'm down. Then again I think it came from the parade and parade pneumonia is never as bad as regular pneumonia!

I could watch this 50 times, you just gotta love Kelse!

https://uploadstars.com/video/2YO7O4HMU7OH

Old 02-14-2018, 05:41 AM
bunob is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by OnyxVantage
I’m so sorry this has happened to you and hope you will get this mess sorted out. BTW, how many miles and is it a 4.3 or a 4.7 ?
I know there is a problem on the 4.7 :
Aston martin does not positively fix the oil pump drive gear to the crankshaft. This gear is held in place by friction and the torque when it is pressed between the timing chain gear and the crankshaft sprocket. If the crankshaft pulley bolt loosens the engine will keep spinning but the oil pumps will stop, causing catastrophic engine failure.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:08 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Ouch, I am so sorry to see / hear that.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:03 AM
GCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond repute
your ****ed.
light up a cigar and pour yourself a tall glass of scotch

Would almost certainly be cheaper to put a used engine in instead of rebuilding and much faster.

best wishes

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ooops! That's not going to be cheap.