Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Ooops! That's not going to be cheap.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 08:06 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Your old engine block would make a beautiful table!

Old 03-15-2018, 12:53 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
If only, remember the stalling they ascribe to CPU software on fuel management and delivery, which has nothing to do with what engine is in the car.
Going to disagree with that. All the sensors the CPU reads are part of the motor and the fuel delivery system is part of the motor. If it was a completely stripped motor and you had to swap everything over from the old motor I might agree, but the new motor has different injectors, throttle body, intake plenum, etc. It's going to behave differently; hopefully better.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
That's what I was eluding on the newer engine. When you buy a re manufactured engine for an airplane from the engine manufacturer, it's not the same block, internals, and accessories. It's a significantly upgraded engine with ALL of the latest updates and changes. Even if that motor is not brand new, if it's an AM reman, it's likely to have all quirks and issues taken care of.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:11 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I can only hope you're right but that would mean there was something with the engine that is the actual problem and not the software running it, which is what Aston believes.

I wish I knew how thorough the "remanufacture" is.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:30 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
So --- based on that statement Aston Martin would hope it stalls...otherwise, I believe many of the members here and other sites will be asking for REPLACEMENT ENGINES... there are a ton of stall threats and owners upset.

While, I hope you come out ok on this mess. I doubt Aston Martin will release a statement stating they think a bad engine or even make a passing comment.. I am surprised they have not had you sign a paper to not discuss what they feel is the real problem and disclose to others.

Good Luck---

Old 03-15-2018, 03:11 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Who knows what the actual issue is, just like when they believed it was the lightweight flywheel making it stall, new stock clutch, stalled 3 days later. None of us really believed it was the flywheel, but they want to make it stock to continue to diagnose it, I'm all for it, as long as the bottom line is they solve the stalling. If it never stalls again I'll be very happy, but I don't see it. If 2016's have stalled, then even if it's a current spec 2016 remanufactured engine, why would the reman stop it from stalling?

Old 03-28-2018, 03:41 PM
IT'S ALIVE!!

And surprisingly difficult to baby it when I just want to plant my right and see if this engine turns like the original! Not that I was told to baby it, in fact he said just keep it under 5000rpm for 500 miles, but that I can floor it. There is nothing in the manual I could find on what the recommended break in procedure is so if anybody knows for sure I'd love to hear. I've kept it under 4000 so far, figured that would be very conservative for a couple hundred miles, but 4000 comes quick even at minimal pedal.

I only had one other question, if he had any extra bolts leftover when he was done. He said no, and I believe him

Old 03-28-2018, 03:45 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
HO

with old school motors its important not to sit at one rev level for any extended period - run it up and down through the rev range & progressively (after the 500 miles ) increase the revs to say 5000, 5500, 6000 for short periods as the miles increase

then after 1000miles drive it like you stole it

and fabulous news that its been fixed for you

Graeme

Old 03-28-2018, 03:51 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
You have a beautiful car!

Old 03-28-2018, 04:07 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Well glad that you are back on the road

Old 03-28-2018, 04:08 PM
Well, that eliminates a Florida drive to see some friends just to get the break in out of the way LOL I haven't been able to sit at any rev range yet, nothing but stop and go traffic coming home, but I will definitely try and avoid it. 500 should go by pretty fast, I hope, I've always broken all new cars in correctly but it's always tough being restrained!

Beautiful, AND it drives again. Honestly I was very unsure about the color watching it on ebay for a month. It was a light color and all the other boxes checked, but no matter how much I researched Mako there was no way I could buy it without seeing it in person. It seems to be an extremely popular color in the UK, probably because it's usually cloudy like today where it throws off shades of gold and purple on the fringes of the flop, Americans seemed to be more ambivalent, but if I'm not being ask "what is it?", the second most common thing I hear is "I love that color". I've never seen Glacier in person but it's stunning in pictures.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:29 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Awesome!!

Old 03-28-2018, 06:38 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Glad you were able to get this resolved! My engine was replaced in my Porsche Boxster... the dreaded IMS failure. Porsche furnished a new long block and dealer did the rest of the accessories and install... All together it was 2 weeks ( after porsche agreed to replace) it had over 45,000 miles on the new engine when i recently sold it... not a hiccup

Old 03-28-2018, 06:42 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hey HO...the best to you!!! I bet you can finally walk straight as all the stress is lifting off your shoulders...

​​​​​​Enjoy...enjoy..
enjoy!!!!

Old 03-28-2018, 07:57 PM
007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light007V8Vantage is a glorious beacon of light
Congratulations

Glad to see you are back on the road with it already.
Enjoy!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ooops! That's not going to be cheap.