Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage gas cap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 01:03 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Ron Avery
On my recent trip to Arizona, when I stoped to fill up with gas. As I unscrewed my gas cap, it came apart in about 4 parts. The top metal part that you turn, the bottom that threads into the filler neck, and the metal ring that attaches the tether. I reassemble all of the parts, and screwed it together. I drove to the local Aston Martin dealer in Scottsdale, they did not have a fuel cap in stock. So they checked my work and said I assembled it correctly so far it's staying together. Any one else have this problem?
Ron
Well I finally received an answer for my quest for a gas cap replacement under warranty. NO, unless I want to spen $500 on a new one out of pocket!
I was told if there is no warning lights on the dash, and I was able to reassemble the cap my self. Then no new cap from Aston Martin.
When I asked what happens if the Comes apart again and can't be reassembled, I was told I can drive the car to a dealer without the gas cap and at that point it will be replaced.
Ron

Old 05-20-2018, 01:31 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Unbelievable, so if your incapable you get rewarded? Its clearly broken and has the possibility to fail again. Visit another dealer, so much for loyalty.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:31 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Unbelievable, so if your incapable you get rewarded? Its clearly broken and has the possibility to fail again. Visit another dealer, so much for loyalty.
It is not my dealer that maid this call. It was Aston Martin, I have found both my dealer and Aston Martin helpful in the past.
Ron

Old 05-20-2018, 04:30 PM
BDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the rough
Wow, that is a little disturbing.... i am a little surprised how seemingly fragile the caps are... I did find one of the aluminum ones on AM bits for $160.00 if you need it.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:48 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by BDubbs
Wow, that is a little disturbing.... i am a little surprised how seemingly fragile the caps are... I did find one of the aluminum ones on AM bits for $160.00 if you need it.
That's a great price for the silver cap!

Old 05-21-2018, 08:57 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Went to fill mine up about a half year ago and top portion came off. Just kind of snapped it back on and haven’t had any issues since.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:27 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hey BDubbs...was that price American dollar? I found the listed price on AM bits can fool you as higher when you check out and get billed.

I have bought many items from AM bits..good company but you need to watch and convert cost to know real pricing...

Safe driving....

Old 05-23-2018, 09:28 PM
BDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the rough
Lol, good catch!! Not US $$ !

Old 06-07-2018, 09:30 AM
EAP
EAP is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 V8 Vantage Gas Cap fix - How to do it for under $30

Hi all,

I found out that the Rover gas cap is a perfect replacement (see pictures for part number) and permanently solved the OBDII error code and warning light on my dashboard. It is very easy to disassemble the original Aston Martin cap and swap out all of the internal bits (see pictures). All you need is a screwdriver to pry out the plastic ring and it is a five minute job. Make sure you take note on the correct placement/alignment of parts on the new cap and replicate on the Aston metal shell.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180512_153040.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	675.3 KB
ID:	527014   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180512_153428.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	959.4 KB
ID:	527015   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180512_153556.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	527016   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180512_153722.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	950.2 KB
ID:	527017  
Old 06-07-2018, 09:42 AM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
EAP, Great find! Can I ask what OBDII code you got that was related to the gas cap??

Old 06-07-2018, 10:09 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Loss of the locating pin on the RR cap. Can you fit the original end so the cap still fits the hinge hole when fueling?

Old 06-07-2018, 10:38 AM
EAP
Hi, I know it was an Emissions Code for sure (low vacuum pressure?) but it was last Fall, and I do not remember the number on the scanner, sorry about that. I will check to see if the code was stored and if it is still there I will post it.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:04 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by EAP
Hi all,

I found out that the Rover gas cap is a perfect replacement (see pictures for part number) and permanently solved the OBDII error code and warning light on my dashboard. It is very easy to disassemble the original Aston Martin cap and swap out all of the internal bits (see pictures). All you need is a screwdriver to pry out the plastic ring and it is a five minute job. Make sure you take note on the correct placement/alignment of parts on the new cap and replicate on the Aston metal shell.
How did you get the ring of the Aston gas cap????

Could you share your trick please.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:15 PM
EAP
The metal ring just slid off the gas cap. You will notice that there was no tether attached to it in my car. Not sure whether the prior owner had tinkered with it but it does not look like it. It was kept in place by the plastic ring on top, nothing else

Old 06-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by EAP
The metal ring just slid off the gas cap. You will notice that there was no tether attached to it in my car. Not sure whether the prior owner had tinkered with it but it does not look like it. It was kept in place by the plastic ring on top, nothing else
I mean this piece.

Is it screwed or glued?

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vantage gas cap