Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Tire Size for STOCK rims (2006 Vantage Base)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 09:52 AM
TerenceC is an unknown quantity at this point
Tire Size for STOCK rims (2006 Vantage Base)

Wow – there are a lot of threads on Wheel and Tire Sizes!
And before those of you reading roll your eyes at yet another thread, I have diligently focused my questions to my specific application.
(And yes, I spent nearly an hour searching threads before posting)

I need to replace the original Potenza tires that came with the car.
They are about 12 years old with ~12,500 miles - it is definitely time.
I just bought the car late last fall and previous owner did not drive it, so the old tires were not an issue.

Car: 2006 Vantage V8 Manual - VIN says this is Car #49 (no sport pack – not even sure if it was offered that far back)

Constraints
· Stock factory wheel – NOT changing the wheels (yes 20’s are cooler, but budget is constrained)
· Decided on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (have these on both our 911's and love them)
· Stock suspension, stock brakes, stock height, stock everything (and no plans to change)
· I do not want to go bigger then what is listed below in the options (this is not another “what is the biggest possible tire that will fit” thread)

· Only Non-Stock item will be the clutch when I replace it with a dual clutch (AMR or VelocityAP)

Application
· This is a "Date Car" - likely will be driven 3-4 times a month to a restaurant (and occasionally to get bagels in the morning)
· Will not be tracked - ever (I use the 911 for that and I have no desire to "use up" two cars at the same time)

Option 1 – Factory Tire Size, Stock Rims - I have these now
· Front - 235/40-R19
· Rear - 275/35-R19

Option 2 – Minor Up Size – as many of you appear to be running (again I searched)
· Front - 245/40-R19
· Rear - 285/35-R19

· Speedo error is 0.5 to 0.7 MPH at normal speed (irrelevant)
· TireRack Cost is about $18 more for Option 2 (irrelevant)

I used https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/ to compare the tires…

Questions:
With Option 2 the tires in front and rear will be slightly wider (good) and slightly taller (why is this good)?
Yes the tire will fill more of the wheel well, but it will also raise ride height – and isn’t that normally a bad thing?

Many of you seem very passionate about NOT going with the factory size and I am trying to get my mind around the benefits of going to Option 2.
Also - to be fair, it is possible in "my application - date car" that I will not notice the difference either way.

Shorter version - I have the original factory tires in my Tire Rack cart and I am looking for a reason I should buy the bigger ones (Option 2).

Input is appreciated.

Terry

Last edited by TerenceC; 02-27-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:15 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Actually you have the upgrade wheels, stock would have been 18's but are rarely encountered.

I prefer stock AM9's, most recommend the Pilot Sport 4S, either way you're talking about 1cm in width difference so fairly unnoticeable. 305's you'd notice.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:14 PM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
Are you sure you can get the PS4S in 245/40 R19?

Thomas

Old 02-27-2018, 12:21 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I think the PS4S only comes in the stock size, I haven't looked at tires in months though.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:56 PM
I believe both sizes are available.....

Old 02-27-2018, 01:01 PM
drac will become famous soon enoughdrac will become famous soon enough
Yes you can get PS4S in option 2.

It's what I have and I too had the original AM9 tyres (which were designed for the DB9). I went to this for a number of reasons.

Slightly wider
yes more grip and traction. Slightly increased front v rear grip with 4.2% increase front v 3.6% rear, reduces understeer to more neutral balance.

Slightly taller
PROS-better ride on our rubbish roads due to more tire side wall compliance and should in theory provide better grip and traction on poorer road surfaces. Reduces chances of scraps if you don't lower the car. Corrects the inaccuracy in the Speedo. Mine still slightly under reads compared to GPS speed but is now only by 1mph. Slight increase in gearing reduces cruise rpm.
Should last slightly longer with reduced revs per mile.

CONS- Yes they will slightly increase centre of gravity (but I always planned to offset this with the AP lowering springs.)
They will weigh slightly more and this is unsprung weight, but still significantly lighter than the AM9s.

Looks better, yes fills the wheel arches better, no rubbing. The reduced space between tyre and arch had quite a visual effect, more than I expected.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:14 PM
I had more vain reasons for sticking with AM9's, I've been driving on Potenza's RE050's for the last 14 years, I've always liked them, and especially the look. I just never liked the look of the Michelins. Yup, vain. On a more technical side everybody says the ride on the Michelins is better, but I like feeling every grain of sand on the road. After 14 years that is the ride I'm used to, now with Sport Pack V8V. It's a very familiar feel. I do have a set of V12 wheels that will go on once I get the car back though. Now those are definitely bigger tires

Old 02-27-2018, 02:22 PM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TerenceC
I believe both sizes are available.....

Interesting, thanks. We can't get then in Europe yet.

Thomas

Old 02-27-2018, 02:53 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
The slight upsize you suggested is what I went with barely noticeable but it gives you a little more tire over the edge of the rim offering some curb rash protection

Old 02-27-2018, 03:03 PM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
FWIW PS4S is probably the best street tire I have purchased. Really shine in the wet even over its predecessor PSS.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:32 AM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
It appears the factory 'stock' tire size has changed from 235 (fronts) and 275 (rears) on earlier Vantages to the 245/285 sizes in more recent years. Did Aston just change the factory tire size or were there changes in rim width, wheel offset, suspension, etc. as well?

Old 02-28-2018, 11:23 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
You have a greater choice of tire with 245/285 than 235/275 and it is probably the main reason for AM to change. I am running Continental ExtremeContact DW which have now been replaced with ExtremeContact Sport, they are also an excellent tires choice in my opinion

Old 02-28-2018, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by Redpants
In my opinion, the pros of Option 2 far outweigh the cons. You're getting a slightly wider tire, which means more grip/traction, all else being equal. You're getting a slightly taller tire, which means slightly less wheel gap from all sides (not just the top of the tire, so it's a more 'even' reduction in wheel gap), plus it effectively gives you a slightly taller gearing overall - better gas mileage, lower RPMs at a given cruising speed, slightly higher top speed. The slightly taller tire means you've got a small fraction of an inch (an 1/8" maybe) more clearance for the front of the nose, which is very prone to scraping, and every bit helps there. If you're planning to lower the car, that 1/8"-raised ride height is a big deal lol.
!
I didn't realize you got a taller tire, now it interests me. One thing I noticed I had my V12 and V8 5 spokes next to each other and the V8's were 1/2" taller circumference than the V12's. I always noticed it a little in the side shots on V12's but now it's starting to bug me. I like the extra width but not the smaller diameter. I'd like an extra 1/2" over the stock tires on the V8. Would you get that with the 245/285? I wonder what you'd have to put on the V12 10 spokes to get an extra inch diameter, and it would probably find something to rub on if you did.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:06 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback!

Based on your various endorsements, I have ordered Option 2 (larger tires) from TireRack.
I have an appointment with my local independent mechanic for the installation late next week.

Looking forward to an incredible summer in the new car!

Terry