6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Let's see pics of Aston’s filling up at the gas station! (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/418194-lets-see-pics-astonis-filling-up-gas-station.html)

Svx 03-02-2018 09:59 AM

Let's see pics of Aston’s filling up at the gas station!

I thought this would be a fun thread for a Friday! Also, Pics of other exotics at gas stations filling up!

Mathman85 03-02-2018 12:54 PM

When I brought mine home from storage a couple weeks ago:
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...a661582afb.jpg

blue2000s 03-02-2018 01:01 PM

The only non-ethanol station within a 25 mile radius is about a half mile from my house and there's a weekly exotic meet across the street from there (XXX Root Beer). Last time I filled up, it was me in the Vantage, a Ferrari 458 and a C2 Corvette lined up. I should have gotten a picture.

MRCW 03-02-2018 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by blue2000s (Post 4700659)
The only non-ethanol station within a 25 mile radius is about a half mile from my house and there's a weekly exotic meet across the street from there (XXX Root Beer). Last time I filled up, it was me in the Vantage, a Ferrari 458 and a C2 Corvette lined up. I should have gotten a picture.

interesting comment about non ethanol gas ... is this preferred? I can get non ethanol gas with 89 octane rating but prefer to use 93 premium with E10...

which is preferred?

Mathman85 03-02-2018 02:28 PM

I know of no detrimental impact to newer cars caused by the use of ethanol-blended fuels.

Older cars could experience all sorts of problems (the 90-93 Z32TT used pintle-style injectors, which were lubricated by gasoline; the ethanol breaks down the lubricating properties, thus causing the coils to experience more friction and thus short out... 94+ models didn't use this injector style anymore).

blue2000s 03-02-2018 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mathman85 (Post 4700690)
I know of no detrimental impact to newer cars caused by the use of ethanol-blended fuels.

Older cars could experience all sorts of problems (the 90-93 Z32TT used pintle-style injectors, which were lubricated by gasoline; the ethanol breaks down the lubricating properties, thus causing the coils to experience more friction and thus short out... 94+ models didn't use this injector style anymore).

Older cars also have petroleum based products (hoses, seals) that are degraded by ethanol. I use it in both my old car and my newer cars for these reasons and to minimize the impacts of the moisture content in the gasoline that ethanol encourages. The cars sit alot.

But octane rating should take precedence over ethanol or non-ethanol.

blue2000s 03-02-2018 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mathman85 (Post 4700658)
When I brought mine home from storage a couple weeks ago:

I wish they hadn't just stopped the color contrast on the roof arch so abruptly.

Dalecannavan 03-02-2018 04:02 PM

I haven’t heard about ethanol treatment Rich. Can you elaborate?

blue2000s 03-02-2018 04:05 PM

I neglected to mention that gasoline has a higher energy content than ethanol so in an engine designed for gasoline, ethanol free also makes a little more power. The cars that make more power on e85 do it by forced induction and turning up boost pressure.

EZ Cookin 03-02-2018 08:36 PM

Looked over and saw two Pagani's getting gas. Sorry about the terrible drive by photo.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...d71b544d62.jpg

V12Vin 03-02-2018 10:32 PM

Somehow I can never do a hands-free nozzle in place on the AM. Have this feeling, it won't hold as well, thens pops out and dents the quarter panel.

Anyone else experienced that?

mjanis 03-02-2018 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Redpants (Post 4700708)
Many dealerships have an ethanol treatment as part of routine service. Not just Aston Martin dealerships, either. It's cheap - less than $15 for a bottle, once per year. But it's something worth doing, in my opinion. I also f'ing hate ethanol, in my opinion.

It's a common practice to throw a bottle of Heet in a car. Heet is 99% alcohol sold as a gasoline antifreeze. It has the added benefit of removing water, condensation accumulation, from the fuel system. This is important in cars that are stored for the winter or not driven much because condensation can form inside the tank. Also depends on the quality of the gas you are buying, how old the station's tanks are, since station tanks also can get water mixed in with the gas.

terminal_ac 03-03-2018 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by V12Vin (Post 4700786)
Somehow I can never do a hands-free nozzle in place on the AM. Have this feeling, it won't hold as well, thens pops out and dents the quarter panel.

Yes. I make sure to use a microfiber clothe to protect the quarter from scratches and fuel spills. I also hold the nozzle to make sure I doesn't come in contact with the car.

blue2000s 03-03-2018 08:16 AM

I've experienced the handle pop out. Luckily it was on a rental car. I can appreciate your nervousness.

Mathman85 03-03-2018 09:12 AM

Are you playing "just the tip" or something? hilarious

If you put it all the way in, it's not gonna pop out. Protecting the quarter panel with microfiber is a good idea, but my quarter panel is wrapped so I never sweat it.