Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

v8v vs v12v - cost, depreciation

Old 03-09-2018, 09:27 AM
thorpe is an unknown quantity at this point
v8v vs v12v - cost, depreciation

Looking for some opinions on what the market will do for these cars in the next few years and how it will play into cost of ownership.

Right now you can pick up a decent '07 v8v for low 40's, '13 for low 60's, or go up to a v12v for mid 90's.

Cost wise the '07 will likely have highest cost to own, with average depreciation.

'13 will see slightly higher depreciation, with lower cost to own.

However somehow in my head i am thinking that the v12v's cost to own should not be significantly higher, while it will have minimal depreciation (or even appreciation??) being that it is likely the last NA V12 we will see. I am looking for some opinions as to if i am romanticizing this in my head and am way off base or what everyones thoughts are.

Thanks.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:54 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
You may find the early V8V's (older than '09) are close to the end of their depreciation cycle.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:57 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
I'm sure the V12 is not that cheap to maintain, but it won't depreciate that much at all I don't think (because I want one) where are you seeing them for mid 90's? Only ones I ever find are like 120's

you are talking about the 2010-2012 V12V's right? Not the ASM box V12S from 2013-now?

Old 03-09-2018, 10:16 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
How many 2013 you see for low 60s??

Old 03-09-2018, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by sonies
I'm sure the V12 is not that cheap to maintain, but it won't depreciate that much at all I don't think (because I want one) where are you seeing them for mid 90's? Only ones I ever find are like 120's

you are talking about the 2010-2012 V12V's right? Not the ASM box V12S from 2013-now?
Yes, 2010-2012. Believe there are 1 or 2 on cars.com right now for 90's.

I agree with you on the depreciation part - however i am having trouble convincing my brain that "more expensive = cheaper to own".

Old 03-09-2018, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by handyman2009
How many 2013 you see for low 60s??
There are a few. Even more 11s & 12s in that range.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:13 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by thorpe
Yes, 2010-2012. Believe there are 1 or 2 on cars.com right now for 90's.

I agree with you on the depreciation part - however i am having trouble convincing my brain that "more expensive = cheaper to own".
I mean I highly doubt you'll get anywhere near 30k of repairs in a V8 vantage over a period of even 15+ years

Old 03-09-2018, 12:00 PM
branjk is an unknown quantity at this point
I am in the same market for an my first Aston. I have been looking for months. The v8 vantage had a 'upgrade' in 2012 which seems to be a break point in the value/cost. My impression is the v8 after 2012 may be the better investment or at least lower depreciation in combo with cost to maintain. The key is finding with options you want. The 2015 GT kind of messed things up on the valuation side, msrp 100k, much lower than typical v8 vantage. Some have nice options which if you find the right one may be the sweet spot.
v12, only manual is 2011 and 2012, hard to find. The newer ones came with sport shift until the newest 2017 with the 7 speed manual. The 2017 still high priced and IMO will stay up there due to the last of kind phenomenon. The 2 v12 you are talking about, below 100k, one is at a McLaren dealer so no certification and the other had an accident. Buyer beware.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:09 PM
I will say a well sorted manual vantage S for Low 60's would be a ****ing steal of a deal

the V8 is no slouch and is a very nice car and is probably 90% of what the V12 is

Old 03-09-2018, 12:20 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
If I were looking for a Vantage and not V12, would be the GT. Good balance of everything and depending on the graphics is pretty cool.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:32 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
OK, I had an 07, an 09 and a 15GT Vantage - had a V12S (temporarily - it was a deceptive sale sanctioned by Aston corporate) and the current V12S Aston replaced the original purchase with (buyer beware on Timeless Certified).

The GT was essentially an S but with cheaper leather and finishes - a great deal. The V8's I found to be more visceral to daily drive however, the 09 did not have the sports exhaust taking much of the enjoyment out of the ride.

The V12S while I personally feel is a bit over powered and has a very linear power band which I personally feel less enjoyable for daily traffic and driving, and is less responsive because of the weight over the front is otherwise a massive leap in every other way above the V8. The ceramic brakes are incredible, the look of the car, the finishes are all the best. The 2015 V12S has over 30 on the market with sales not exactly fast paced, I'd bet what ever the asking price you can get a car either for a lot less, or from an AM dealer an extra year or two warranty thrown in.

As far as price of maintenance, I was told by the AM dealer it will be similar costs for annual services to the V8. My insurance is $1000 more annually, and because you want to hear that sound (thus get aggressive with the throttle) the average gas mileage is pretty pitiful. In the city I'm something like 12MPG vs about 17MPG of the V8.

Overall depreciation? I think the V12S might be the best or an older V8, especially an S if you can find one.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:09 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by sonies
I mean I highly doubt you'll get anywhere near 30k of repairs in a V8 vantage over a period of even 15+ years
Considering my engine alone is $44,000 plus installation, you can easily outpace $30,000 in under 2 years LOL
Originally Posted by branjk
one is at a McLaren dealer so no certification and the other had an accident. Buyer beware.
It's been listed at McLaren, main Line Porsche, and another dealer, I'm not even sure who actually owns the car, but the history is very suspect if you go over it.
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
OK, I had an 07, an 09 and a 15GT Vantage - had a V12S (temporarily - it was a deceptive sale sanctioned by Aston corporate) and the current V12S Aston replaced the original purchase with (buyer beware on Timeless Certified).

The GT was essentially an S but with cheaper leather and finishes - a great deal. The V8's I found to be more visceral to daily drive however, the 09 did not have the sports exhaust taking much of the enjoyment out of the ride.

The V12S while I personally feel is a bit over powered and has a very linear power band which I personally feel less enjoyable for daily traffic and driving, and is less responsive because of the weight over the front is otherwise a massive leap in every other way above the V8. The ceramic brakes are incredible, the look of the car, the finishes are all the best. The 2015 V12S has over 30 on the market with sales not exactly fast paced, I'd bet what ever the asking price you can get a car either for a lot less, or from an AM dealer an extra year or two warranty thrown in.

As far as price of maintenance, I was told by the AM dealer it will be similar costs for annual services to the V8. My insurance is $1000 more annually, and because you want to hear that sound (thus get aggressive with the throttle) the average gas mileage is pretty pitiful. In the city I'm something like 12MPG vs about 17MPG of the V8.

Overall depreciation? I think the V12S might be the best or an older V8, especially an S if you can find one.
When you told me all your V8's had the stalling issue was eye opening. Makes you wonder if any of the 8's don't.

The cost of many of the V12 parts are much more expensive. Brake pads alone are nearly 4 times the cost, I would imagine the rotors are at least that multiple, although they do last a long time. The clutch is $2000 more, I don't want to think about how much an engine costs. Parts that are similar or shared between the 8 and 12 should be nearly equal, but the 12's have got to have a higher cost of ownership. Especially gas mileage!

Old 03-09-2018, 07:37 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
The Vantage I have now is a 2008 manual. I like it much more than the 2009 I had with the sportshift. I would like to think that the pre 2009 cars have bottomed out on depreciation. Find a car that is the color and has the options you want. And look for the best maintained car you can find. I was fortunate to find what I think is a beautiful car with all the options and was fastidiously maintained by a loving owner. I do all my own maintenance and enjoy working on my cars. I’m sure I will have it for a very long time. Wishing you the best in your search. Take your time and you will find that special car.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:56 AM
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
if your looking to buy your first aston, find the one you like most for the right price
that ticks all your boxes, dont even think about depreciation, enjoy the car while you have it. if you think too much on what you will get when you sell it you might never come to a point of buying...

Old 03-10-2018, 11:35 AM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
When you told me all your V8's had the stalling issue was eye opening. Makes you wonder if any of the 8's don't.
Actually, my previous V8V '07 and '14 didn't stall once.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: v8v vs v12v - cost, depreciation