Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Advice for soon-to-be first time Vantage owner

Old 11-16-2016, 08:37 PM
TimothyCraig is an unknown quantity at this point
Advice for soon-to-be first time Vantage owner

Hi everyone,

Sometime in 2017, I am going to trade in my luxury model Infiniti for an Aston Martin Vantage V8.

Now before you jump on my case, yes, I realize there will be a price difference. Don't worry, I've got that covered.

However I will be buying previously owned, likely from a dealer.

I've been researching for about 8 months these cars. I've test-driven three Vantages from two local dealers in my area. (I'm in the U.S.)

A basic question to start the conversation: Given my preference, I'd like to get a 2009 or later. But the MY07 & MY08s, I'm not totally ruling out.

Regarding the main console features (radio, phone, navigation, all that stuff) I was curious if anyone could provide insight on the differences between MY08 and '09 or later. Besides the look and design, is there really any difference between '08 and '09, or is it worth holding out and waiting to get an '09 or later model?

Other questions to follow. Thanks all.

TC

Last edited by TimothyCraig; 11-16-2016 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 11-16-2016, 10:24 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Congrats on the best decision you've have made in your life so far.. If I may be so bold..?

I'll beat everyone to the punch and tell you step one is to get Grant Neal's book entitled "The Definitive Guide to new Gaydon Era Aston Martin".. It's a must have item for a prospective owner. Really gets into the type of questions you're asking right now. I recommend keeping it within arms reach at all times.

Good luck!

Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2016, 04:57 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Speedracer800 is right, I bought the book last year before making my purchase and it answered most if not all the questions I had. A must read

Old 11-17-2016, 06:29 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by handyman2009
Speedracer800 is right, I bought the book last year before making my purchase and it answered most if not all the questions I had. A must read
Same here, buy the book!!!!!!

Then we can help further.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:32 AM
W126C will become famous soon enough
I'm jumping on the buy the book train. Best advise I got before buying.

Regards,

Old 11-17-2016, 07:52 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by W126C
I'm jumping on the buy the book train. Best advise I got before buying.

Regards,

This is a really good choice. I have one I will sell if you like pm me.

I am out of the country for the next year, and other than driving my DB9 next month for 5 weeks, I wont see it again for a year. Don't need the book likely any more, unless for sentimental reasons, then I can just buy again if wanted.

ITs great for OPTION lists, and seeing what is different from year to year. Really helped me narrow down what year for a DB9. I came up with must haves---- Bluetooth (which started in 06 I think for phone), Ipod which started in 08 I think without an adaptor, and Sat radio which was in 08. So I decided to ONLY go for a Black on Black 09 DB9 with silver stitching and no more than 12k miles.

I bought an 05' Black on Black 6-speed (rare) w/ (rare) white/silver stitching with 29k on the clock in perfect condition.

My original must have went right out the window. Reasons why------ previous owner was @Speedracer800, car is perfect condition, well taken care of with records, ALL suspension replaced with 09' shocks due to originals seeping (normal), and all coil packs changed out 5k miles ago. Made sense knowing all that, and now have no worries about the car.

I answered my blutooth phone question, ipod connecting, and Sat radio by:
1. Telum01 (Redpants) and I got together for a GPS mod to replace factory GPS with a current up to date Garmin that will have life-time map updates, BLUETOOTH PHONE, traffic, and able to modify to have your vehicle an Aston Martin DBS, 1-77, or V8Vantage. SO cool and having an up to date Garmin that looks OEM, that's perfection.

2. Denison is the only way on Linn systems to get Ipod connectivity. About $450 all in, but can use a Tune-2-Air module to get Bluetooth for that and all devices will work, Sirus app for Sat Radio.

So all in about 1.2k and I have all the functionality that pushed me to buy a 09', but in an earlier one.

GPS ------ Once Redpants finalizes the packages he will offer them to members. Perfect upgrade for everyone. Eventually will save money also.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:37 PM
Great insights! Thanks Sheriff and everyone who replied.

Yes Sheriff if you're willing to part with your book I'd be interested. Feel free to pm me at your convenience. 👍

Originally Posted by SheriffDep
This is a really good choice. I have one I will sell if you like pm me.

I am out of the country for the next year, and other than driving my DB9 next month for 5 weeks, I wont see it again for a year. Don't need the book likely any more, unless for sentimental reasons, then I can just buy again if wanted.

ITs great for OPTION lists, and seeing what is different from year to year. Really helped me narrow down what year for a DB9. I came up with must haves---- Bluetooth (which started in 06 I think for phone), Ipod which started in 08 I think without an adaptor, and Sat radio which was in 08. So I decided to ONLY go for a Black on Black 09 DB9 with silver stitching and no more than 12k miles.

I bought an 05' Black on Black 6-speed (rare) w/ (rare) white/silver stitching with 29k on the clock in perfect condition.

My original must have went right out the window. Reasons why------ previous owner was @Speedracer800, car is perfect condition, well taken care of with records, ALL suspension replaced with 09' shocks due to originals seeping (normal), and all coil packs changed out 5k miles ago. Made sense knowing all that, and now have no worries about the car.

I answered my blutooth phone question, ipod connecting, and Sat radio by:
1. Telum01 (Redpants) and I got together for a GPS mod to replace factory GPS with a current up to date Garmin that will have life-time map updates, BLUETOOTH PHONE, traffic, and able to modify to have your vehicle an Aston Martin DBS, 1-77, or V8Vantage. SO cool and having an up to date Garmin that looks OEM, that's perfection.

2. Denison is the only way on Linn systems to get Ipod connectivity. About $450 all in, but can use a Tune-2-Air module to get Bluetooth for that and all devices will work, Sirus app for Sat Radio.

So all in about 1.2k and I have all the functionality that pushed me to buy a 09', but in an earlier one.

GPS ------ Once Redpants finalizes the packages he will offer them to members. Perfect upgrade for everyone. Eventually will save money also.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:28 PM
911ist is on a distinguished road
having owned both 2008 and 2012 Vantages, the 4.3 feels really underpowered for the Vantage so I would definitely go for 09+ for the 4.7 if you can swing it. The book is really amazing and is a definite must. This is not a popular opinion but I actually like the older interior better as, to me, it feels more bespoke. The newer interior does look more modern but the features and ergonomics are very poor especially compared to your infinti but the leather is amazing

Old 11-19-2016, 07:16 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Old vs Newer

I had an 07 Vantage - absolutely loved it - the sound is one of the best. Then I got an 09 which (in my opinion) was light years ahead of the older one in look and feel with obvious improvements though out the car - the largest being a much wider and more usable power band. The 4.3 liked to be wound out all the time to stay in the power and sounded great, but the low end torque of the 09 was far more enjoyable to drive in daily traffic. The downside of the larger engine is the sound - the smaller engine I thought sounded more Ferrari-like whereas the larger one is too much American muscle sounding.

On the 09 be careful you don't get one with a quiet exhaust, but one with a sports muffler - mine was quiet. I now have a 15 vantage - again, many small refinements, but not that much different than my 09, however with the GT I now have an Aston that sounds proper.

Going 07 to 09 I also changed from the 6 speed to the sportshift which I prefer and got rid of the heavy clutch of the 07 (I heard the 09 is not as bad).

3 Vantages - all were incredibly reliable.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:34 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
I had an 07 Vantage - absolutely loved it - the sound is one of the best. Then I got an 09 which (in my opinion) was light years ahead of the older one in look and feel with obvious improvements though out the car - the largest being a much wider and more usable power band. The 4.3 liked to be wound out all the time to stay in the power and sounded great, but the low end torque of the 09 was far more enjoyable to drive in daily traffic. The downside of the larger engine is the sound - the smaller engine I thought sounded more Ferrari-like whereas the larger one is too much American muscle sounding.

On the 09 be careful you don't get one with a quiet exhaust, but one with a sports muffler - mine was quiet. I now have a 15 vantage - again, many small refinements, but not that much different than my 09, however with the GT I now have an Aston that sounds proper.

Going 07 to 09 I also changed from the 6 speed to the sportshift which I prefer and got rid of the heavy clutch of the 07 (I heard the 09 is not as bad).

3 Vantages - all were incredibly reliable.
I can concur with all the above. I had a 2007 stick, with sport exhaust and power pack ( 400 BHP instead of 380 BHP). I now have a 2016 GT with a stick.
The clutch action is much lighter than my 2007. And the 4.7 is a big step up, along with the interior update. Purchase the best and the newest car you can afford with all the options you're looking for. Take your time, and the end result will be fantastic. I also agree buying through a dealer, that way you can get the Aston Martin preowned warranty which helps to put your mind at ease for at least one year.
Ron

Last edited by Ron Avery; 11-19-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:57 PM
silver997 is on a distinguished road
If your gonna get a Vantage get an 09+ with a manual transmission. Things to look for....

#1 The condition of the clutch. Regardless of mileage.

#2 Oil leaks. Timing chain cover. Known area of problems. Yea even on the 4.7

#3 Bumper and sill warping. Look where the bumper and body meet.

#4 Interior leather shrinkage

#5 Service records. Need i say more.

#6 Paint defects. I have seen clear coat failure on some cars.

These are great cars. I love mine. Just don't compromise on what you want. Color, options, ect

Last edited by silver997; 11-19-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:09 PM
powerbeautysoulAM is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 911ist
having owned both 2008 and 2012 Vantages, the 4.3 feels really underpowered for the Vantage so I would definitely go for 09+ for the 4.7 if you can swing it. The book is really amazing and is a definite must. This is not a popular opinion but I actually like the older interior better as, to me, it feels more bespoke. The newer interior does look more modern but the features and ergonomics are very poor especially compared to your infinti but the leather is amazing
is it me or do the 2012+ V8V have a higher spoiler than the 06-11 models?

Old 11-20-2016, 08:54 AM
Thanks for this. Is there really that much of a noticeable difference in power feel between the two? I drove an 07 and a 10, was hard to tell.

Originally Posted by 911ist

Old 11-20-2016, 11:38 AM
Agreed, I'm not going to invest in this unless it has exactly what I want.

I should probably clarify that I am going to get an automatic with paddle shifts. My wife gets car sick super easily and there is no way she will let me buy one without this as a feature. (It's already hard enough right now trying to convince to her let me do this as it is... )

Originally Posted by silver997
If your gonna get a Vantage get an 09+ with a manual transmission. Things to look for....

These are great cars. I love mine. Just don't compromise on what you want. Color, options, ect

Old 11-20-2016, 11:53 AM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Silver997,
I have a 14' V8V.
Can you explain bumper and sill warping
Thanks

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.