Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage steering shudder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 03:05 PM
Carter V8 Vantage is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Good chance it's had the front subframe removed for the timing cover removal, I'd check your rack mount torque 3-bolts. And the pinch bolt on lower joint to rack pinion.
Noted for this weekend. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by boxercupdave
Is it a shudder through the column/wheel or just the wheel? Yours might be more than I experience on my 07 as I found the horn/airbag would shudder over bumps Found that later cars had plastic insulators added. Need to fit them to mine.

Though I think from your explanation it's probably something along the lines as described by the others. Hope it's a simple fix.
It's more of a jiggle in the steering linkage. I drove the car about 8 miles today but didn't feel it at all, while driving over a few sharp bumps. Our roads in Raleigh NC are mostly good but I don't want it to be an issue.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by spinecho
I'll take an opposite tack to the above posts and question whether it might be 'normal'...

Here's my experience with my old V8V ('09): it definitely had a subtle but unpleasant sensation felt through the steering wheel when hitting some bumps or ridges in the road. I wouldn't have described it as a shudder, but more of a subtle kickback or knock that felt like it was transmitted through the steering column. It was present from day 1 and never changed over my 3 years with the car, and I was quite certain that it was inherent in the design of the car. Also (I can't recall where) I had read about it in a journalist review.

My V12's have not had this problem but they have different steering racks I believe, and I find the feel considerably better than in the V8.
Thanks for posting. Yes, it does feel more like kickback through the steering wheel. If all checks-out fine this weekend, I'll keep driving it as it is. The problem isn't overly bothersome, butI have a sensitivity to these things. 26 years of amateur sports car racing helps one develop particular senses while driving. Overall, I love driving the car but if something feels a little "off," I try to fix it asap.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:13 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
The guys have covered most items but one...is your car a sports package model?

My 09 v8v is a sports package...it is a rougher ride compared to a non sports model..
You can feel the car on hard roads but the steering wheel does not shudder or shake...

In addition...most will tell you the steering is super stiff in these cars...if your steering is easy to turn at low speeds...I would look for the problems mentioned above...

Good luck

Old 03-16-2018, 10:41 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
I don't know, I can see someone who's driven Camrys and SUVs their whole life misinterpreting steering feedback as a shudder but Carter claims to have experience with cars with plenty of steering feel. The Vantage does have great feel and feedback, better than I had expected, but it never feels jittery,

Old 03-17-2018, 02:55 AM
OnyxVantage is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by captain Greg
My 2cents, on the vantage check the airbag fitting behind the steering wheeel there are two small collar fittings that are an aftermarket part from Aston bits the lose air bag feels like a steering shudder on certain surfaces.
It may be a simple as that
Had the same „noise and feeling“ with my 2007 V8V. It was the Airbag and sorted out with this OEM Part Number 9G43-33698-AA

Cheers

Last edited by OnyxVantage; 03-17-2018 at 02:59 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:29 PM
Smile

Thanks Onyx!

I checked everything in the front suspension, wheel bearings, etc., while swapping pads this past Saturday and everything was tight and secure. I'm starting to think it's the airbag rattle, based on the comments here, and the fact that everything seemed fine.

I've ordered the bushings. For those who added the airbag mounting bolt bushings, did you do it yourself or did you pay to have it done? I usually follow procedures but I don't know where the Emotion Control Unit is located, and how to put it into position 2. I'm about 1/3rd into the owner manual so pardon my ignorance, but is this the Aston way of saying insert the key into the ignition switch and turn it one click? It looks like a simple procedure and yes, I'll disconnect the battery and wait two minutes.

I would have bet a lot of money it was something in the steering linkage, between the steering wheel and the front tires, but I could be wrong. I hope, actually, that I am, and that installing the bushings will eliminate the rattle. This car has been well maintained and cared for but has a minor rattle in the dash and one in the driver door. They aren't constant, but only appear on sharp shock-type bumps and high frequency chatter bumps. Eliminating the steering rattle will be a step in the right direction.

Thanks all.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:38 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
You can replicate the airbag rattle by just using a closed fist and strike the outward area of the wheel rim with medium force. And if you grip the wheel with the other it should resonate and have simular feel to uneven road surfaces.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:41 PM
Good idea. Thanks!

Old 03-19-2018, 07:55 PM
willin58 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Carter V8 Vantage

I've ordered the bushings. For those who added the airbag mounting bolt bushings, did you do it yourself or did you pay to have it done? I usually follow procedures but I don't know where the Emotion Control Unit is located, and how to put it into position
I was hesitant about this as well, but decided to do it myself and I'm glad I did. Just put the ignition on the second or "accessory" setting (not sure how w/ an ECU, my DB9 has the old-school key ignition) and turn the steering wheel 1/4 turn so you can see the bolt. Take your 1/4" ratchet or other tool of choice w/ the proper Torx (I think) bit, remove the bolt, put the bolt through the sleeve and reinstall. Turn the wheel 1/2 turn the other way and repeat for the other side. No need to disconnect the battery or any of that. Take 'er for a spin and crack a beer to a job well done... cheaply.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see Onyx's instructions above!

Last edited by willin58; 03-19-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:47 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Couple of points if your doing this DIY. Do put key in ignition to turn the steering wheel to access the first torx #30 bolt but then turn key back and remove from ignition. You don’t want to work on anything connected to the airbag with the ignition on. Also pick up a little loctite. Both the bolts use loctite. After you’ve removed and replaced the first bolt with nylon sleeve, put the key back in ignition and turn the wheel 180, to access 2nd bolt, then remov3 key from ignition.

Another tip - the angle of both torx 30 bolts is slightly downward when the wheel is turned to access them, you won’t see the head unless you use a mirror.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:20 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by willin58
I was hesitant about this as well, but decided to do it myself and I'm glad I did. Just put the ignition on the second or "accessory" setting (not sure how w/ an ECU, my DB9 has the old-school key ignition) and turn the steering wheel 1/4 turn so you can see the bolt. Take your 1/4" ratchet or other tool of choice w/ the proper Torx (I think) bit, remove the bolt, put the bolt through the sleeve and reinstall. Turn the wheel 1/2 turn the other way and repeat for the other side. No need to disconnect the battery or any of that. Take 'er for a spin and crack a beer to a job well done... cheaply.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see Onyx's instructions above!
Excellent. Thanks for the reply. I'll pick a good craft beer.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by Redpants
Very good video, Rich.

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2018, 06:24 PM
As was posted here, I banged on the side of the steering wheel with medium force and yes, it made the rattle sound I have heard. Great suggestion.

Tonight, I added the airbag bolt sleeves, and will have a beer shortly. This helped eliminate the rattle for sure but I hear a slight ticking noise behind the steering wheel when I yank the wheel a short distance to the right, or when I jiggle the wheel left-right quickly. I watched Rich's good Redpants.lol steering wheel removal video and saw that the steering wheel mount is hex-shaped, and not multi-splined like some others. I'm wondering if the female hex corners on the wheel are tapping on the male hex corners on the mounting ****.

I'm thinking the sleeves will eliminate the airbag rattle and I doubt I'll hear the slight tapping while driving - road noise and 80's music on my recently dusted-off CD's will probably cover the tapping noise. I want the car to be right, but if I don't hear the tapping, it's not an issue. My OCD only goes so far. If I can still hear it while driving, I'll pull the wheel, per the Redpants video and might place some aluminum foil over the hex **** to tighten the mounting and eliminate any slop between it and the female wheel mount.

Also, my "local" dealer is about an hour away so they shipped the airbag bolt sleeves. Per the shop manual graphic posted on this thread (thanks!) I used only two of the six sleeves I received. If anyone needs a pair, PM me and I'll mail them to you.

Thanks again to all who helped with this. Now, I'll try to eliminate the left side windshield defroster vent rattle. I definitely hear this when driving over sharp bumps. Pushing down on it stops the rattle. Does anyone know if it just pops upward and out?

Old 03-28-2018, 06:51 PM
willin58 is an unknown quantity at this point
Here you go, Steve is a great resource:

https://aston1936.com/2017/11/24/how...on-martin-db9/

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot you have a V8V; not sure how similar the pieces are.

Last edited by willin58; 03-28-2018 at 07:42 PM.