Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Oil catch cans...they work!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Danno62 will become famous soon enough
Oil catch cans...they work!!

I guess I should have realized I should have just posted....

"I installed a catch can this weekend, if you'd like info. on it private message me" so as to avoid the sniping from other members.
I sincerely apologize, in the future I will only post information and if I can help I will post for private messages.

Cheers
Dan

Last edited by Danno62; 10-08-2017 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Sick of the sniping
Old 10-06-2017, 06:51 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
This list is well aware of the benefits of a catch can. Rich at Redpants.lol has created a custom fit solution which has been available for quite some time first through Velocity and currently through his website.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Just posting what I did as an additional courtesy and reinforcing the effectiveness of the idea.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:30 AM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for sharing Danno

Old 10-06-2017, 12:41 PM
rocketboots999 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Danno62
Just posting what I did as an additional courtesy and reinforcing the effectiveness of the idea.
Thanks Danno62.

Speaking as an AM newbie here, I do my best to search through past posts for something I might be interested in, but, as with any of my daily or fun cars, I
very much appreciate the continued sharing/updating/reinforcing of good ideas that bring new things to my attention. It may be old information for most, but just about everything AM is new to me at the moment.

I felt the same about the fun cars that preceded the Vantage; MB SL550, Jaguar E-Type & Triumph TR4. I essentially knew nothing about them at first, but I am a quick study.

Good information will lead us to evaluate what the suppliers can do for us. I have been very impressed with what I have seen so far from the websites of Redpants and Velocity as well as their contributions to this forum. I am sure that their "cash registers will ring with my money" in the not too distant future.

My car is going to be delivered on Sunday; can't wait.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:45 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for posting. I'd be curious what can you used and how you mounted it. I think others would like that info too. Looks like it blends it pretty well.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:30 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
I didn't mean for this to drag on as long as it did, but it's Friday and I need a drink lol. I'm putting a bunch of stuff out there for clarity from the perspectives of both an enthusiast and a business owner, and not directed to anyone in particular.

When I first started looking into catch cans for the V8 Vantage some years ago, I put together a $25 mockup on my 4Runner using air compressor parts from Home Depot. I figured if a catch can worked on that engine, it'd definitely be of use for the Vantage. It did collect oil, so I pursued the project. I made one for my own car, but other people wanted them, too. It proved really popular and I had a group buy of them.

I don't think I ever told anyone this, but I actually lost several hundred dollars making those first catch cans for other forum members. Even so, I saw a business case for it and had ideas for other projects I wanted to do, so it led me to starting Redpants.

As for the cost of a catch can project, that can vary wildly. Getting the right balance of performance, quality, styling, and cost means you can't make everyone happy. My goal with the one I now have is to make it look like it came from Aston Martin themselves, be internally baffled without any risk of baffling breakoff, and make it the highest quality possible. I show people my engine bay all the time, and they never realize the catch can isn't factory until I point it out to them. The quick-snap connectors are the actual OEM ones. The internal baffling is multiple layers of fine mesh (many catch cans don't have any baffling at all, and many that do use steel wool). The cans themselves are made of high-grade materials that suit this type of car. All this adds up. If my goal was to make one for the lowest-cost possible, that'd be really easy to do but it isn't really up my alley.

As a side note, I was able to get the pricing down on my V8 Vantage catch cans thanks to some supply changes and increased volume with the manufacturer of the catch can itself, so I did reduce the price a week or so ago:
http://www.redpants.lol/shop/oil-catch-can

Just wanted to clear all that up since I'm sure the price differences will be discussed. I've been on this forum for several years and I've been an advocate of saving money since the beginning (thus the reasonably-priced maintenance packages that I sell, and the free-to-use DIY guides on my website). But there's a difference between making something for yourself and making something as a business. The former is frustrating at worst, while the latter can be a damn nightmare some days.

No one product is going to make everyone happy, but the one I offer is one I'm very proud of.

Originally Posted by rocketboots999
I have been very impressed with what I have seen so far from the websites of Redpants and Velocity as well as their contributions to this forum. I am sure that their "cash registers will ring with my money" in the not too distant future.
I'm sure hoping that happens! I know Stuart has put a massive amount of work into his company, and I've invested every spare dollar I've had for two years so far... and I'm still well underwater for breaking even due to all the stuff I have in development

Something that I think goes unrealized is how much 'unpaid' work goes into this stuff. I spend a few hours a day just answering emails and helping people out with things. And all the free DIY videos and guides I make take several hours each to put together. It's why I'm not on the forum much these days. But hey, that's the small business start-up life, right?

The ka-ching comment kinda set me off on my rambling - not in a bad way so please don't take it that way. It's just something I've struggled with personally because finding the right balance between being an enthusiast and trying to run a business has led to more than one anxiety attack lol. I figured this was as good a time as any to put all this out there.

Last edited by Redpants; 10-06-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:44 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Rich

just keep doing what you do man

Coming from my Audis & working on my old Triumphs Redpants is "the source" for info when i need to know something about my v8v

the ownership experience for me (and I am sure many others) is greatly enhanced by what you do & the support you offer

Like all things if you do something with passions the results will naturally follow - no anxiety !

Graze

Old 10-06-2017, 03:46 PM
Dustan is on a distinguished road
As a past small business owner I understand your headaches. We drive hand built low production vehicles, not the best business model. But I'm so grateful for what you are trying to do and will go thru redpants for all my auto parts. Thanks

Old 10-06-2017, 05:10 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Thanks guys.
Sorry for the slight hijacking, just wanted to get the price difference out there since it's a drastically different number and at the surface it might make the price of mine might seem unreasonable.
It's great to see people doing things outside of the box still!

Old 10-08-2017, 03:35 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Rich you are a gentleman too much...lol

The can used is small not like yours...while any can is helpful...this guy should reference how much oil is trapped by yours. I was shocked during my empty during service for the car.
You should be proud of yourself!

Old 10-08-2017, 03:43 PM
I didn't realize this was such a sniping type forum!
The can is smaller than the AP style, and for my needs of a weekend driver it works just fine.
I have and will continue to order parts and service items from Rich as well, he has great prices on many items that you cannot find. And yes, he is a professional and gentleman, that shows through his unrelenting work with these cars.
I'm almost sorry I brought it up and posted at all!

Old 10-08-2017, 04:08 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hey..relax...at piston heads forum they are gentleman...here we are donkeys. Lol
You did nothing wrong postings...just trying to be helpful to members!

If I insulted you...I am in the wrong...Sorry!

Being new, you are seeing even when Rich is upset...he flips his answer to defend you after venting!
Many members have been helped for free on advice and products by him. He actually makes owning AM cars fun and affordable to own. So a guy like me opens my mouth to defend knowing he is too much a gentleman.
Hey...welcome to the forum and please excuse my donkey remark..
Please have a nice holiday!
Duke

Old 10-08-2017, 04:14 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Danno,
You did nothing wrong in posting something that you did to your own car. This forum is for sharing ideas, that's what you did.
Don't be put off this forum. It's a great place to hang out!

Last edited by Dalecannavan; 10-08-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:18 PM
No harm/no foul, I was on another forum and the same thing occured.
Lesson learned.

Cheers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.