Your Thoughts on 2011 Vantage V8 N420 Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 12:30 PM
RLJ
RLJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Your Thoughts on 2011 Vantage V8 N420 Electrical Issue

All,

I am researching the purchase of a 2011 Vantage V8 N420 and would appreciate your comments. The car is located in California at Los Gatos Luxury Cars, an Aston Martin dealer and is listed at $59,900. It is a two owner car with good service records all done at the dealer and has 9800 miles on it. Looks like a great deal so I contacted the dealer to get some more details.

The first thing the dealer said was that all of the electrical system in the car had been replaced about four months ago at a cost of $90,000! When I asked why he stated there were "connection" problems that could not be resolved and the entire system had been replaced. I asked if the car had been in a flood and he said no, just connection issues.

I was interested before that but now I am wondering. He said the car had been driven since the work was done and that everything worked fine. He said, in fact, that while no warranty came with the car, it was eligible for an Aston Martin warranty for two years at $4k a year. He is going to send me the service records for the car on Monday.

Not sure I want to take a chance on a new electrical system that may have new issuers arise that are not covered by warranty. What do you guys think, ever heard of an entire electrical system being replaced? They had to have taken the car apart?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:17 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
I’ve never heard of anything so extreme. I got my car from Los Gatos in Saratoga and they and the car were exceptional, great to deal with. These cars stir emotions and if you don’t feel comfortable with this work I would walk away. It takes most people a while to find the right car that “speaks to them”.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:54 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
If the dealer would let you talk with the prior owner you could understand the problem and make a better decision....

I agree if you feel unsure...there are other cars. I looked for over 6 months till I found one.

Ask the dealer for 2 years warranty included if you buy. If they say no...smile and keep looking...

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2018, 08:02 AM
Mike Gray will become famous soon enough
I agree with Dale. There are plenty of these cars for sale. There is no way I would consider purchasing what amounts to a "new" car that had undergone such an extensive and expensive repair. I'd live in fear of when the next electrical gremlin would rear its ugly head! You still find "lemons", even in this day of highly automated and computer-controlled car manufacturing.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:20 PM
RLJ
RLJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for your thoughts, a total replacement of an electrical system just seems to iffy. Electrical gremlins are difficult to diagnose and I would always be worrying about that. I think I will keep looking, this one may be a lemon.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:04 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
I would not rely on the salesman but would go speak to the service manager an go over the service work item by item...

the salesman could be telling you they put $90k into the car thinking that their asking price is a bargain. $90k is a lot of money must for wiring harness etc... who knows it could be only $9k...

verify the facts first before you walk away

Old 04-09-2018, 09:07 PM
Argus will become famous soon enough
Walk, run or whatever but that is not the car for you or anyone.