Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Updating smartphone integration - carplay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 03:29 PM
Richard Wong is on a distinguished road
Updating smartphone integration - carplay

Anyone consider installing a screen capable a running smartphone integration? Like Apple Carplay or Android? The factory map system is like a stone tablet and chisel .

I did this to my 2003 NSX...seemless and modern upgrade.

I'm thinking of installing a screen that would support either in the flip-up screen in my 2015 Vantage. But I would need to figure out how to disassemble the console, tap in to the factory sound system and rear camera.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:16 PM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
I would love to do that.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:42 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Im going to try a screen in the rear view mirror

Old 04-15-2018, 01:02 AM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
They were supposed to have a retrofit for Apple CarPlay at some point?!

Old 04-15-2018, 09:28 AM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
Check navtool.com and/or naviks.com, both offer mirroring and Apple car play solutions.
I have the mirroring equipment from naviks and it works nicely.
Cheeers
Christian

Old 04-15-2018, 10:05 AM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GDay2
Check navtool.com and/or naviks.com, both offer mirroring and Apple car play solutions.
I have the mirroring equipment from naviks and it works nicely.
Cheeers
Christian
Any DIY guide for Aston Martin DB9 ? I would like to do it in my DB9.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:58 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
I've performed this succesfully on my DB9 around 2 years ago and I'm still using it succesfully today. See here a sneak preview of its functioning:

Mine's just the Garmin (with Bluetooth, Wireless TPMS, wireless rear-view camera) but an Apple Carplay integration is fairly straight forward too from a mechanical perspective. The challenge lies with integrating music thru your car Audio but with a Dension integration can be done, NP

Check more on it here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4544600

I can offer you guys a commercial option here so pm me for details (not sure if I'm allowed to mention this here)

Old 04-16-2018, 05:20 AM
Senatorblutarsky will become famous soon enoughSenatorblutarsky will become famous soon enough
Rich from Redpants is holding a Tech Day at the end of the month where experts from England will be showing and installing this type of stuff. I plan on having it installed in my 2007 V8V. I agree with you that the old navigation and lack of modern integration is a bummer.

I would check out his thread on this forum called "Interest in a Tech Day?".

Old 04-16-2018, 06:43 AM
I am planning to attend Tech Day. Still waiting for available options for infotainment and pricing. I chatted with James from Aston Installations UK (coming to Tech Day). He mentioned about HDMI option which is not CarPlay. I asked him about installing iPad Mini or another screen and haven't heard back. I like the NavTool option posted by GDay2. I contacted NavTool asking about their installation manual. They say it is for dealers only and not for DIY ... which doesn't make any sense.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:37 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cuddapah
I am planning to attend Tech Day. Still waiting for available options for infotainment and pricing. I chatted with James from Aston Installations UK (coming to Tech Day). He mentioned about HDMI option which is not CarPlay. I asked him about installing iPad Mini or another screen and haven't heard back. I like the NavTool option posted by GDay2. I contacted NavTool asking about their installation manual. They say it is for dealers only and not for DIY ... which doesn't make any sense.
im leaning towards the navics unit and they were responsive and emailed me their install guide. I'm going to tech day also... more interested in a mirror screen for back up cam that i can install without messing with the in dash nav since i hardly open it up... looks a bit awkward and opens at an angle that is hard to read unless you are sitting low in the car.

overall is likes to have option to have images on both screens with ability to switch between, etc.

Last edited by MRCW; 04-16-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:31 PM
robkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone have any better solutions since this feed was posted? I think replacing the factory nav screen is ideal, its wasted, outdated and clearly unused by many. If we are able to replace it with a new LCD that has a clearer image with a toggle for input, that would be amazing

Old 09-24-2019, 02:51 PM
Check this out .. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ay-my-db9.html
That is the best we have right now. Not bad at all. I have been using it everyday and works great.
I agree new LCD screen would be great. Somebody here replaced factory screen with touch screen here https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...n-upgrade.html
You might also want to check with Rich @ RedPants for more info. Aston Installations will be at Rich's location 10/5 - 10/8.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:37 AM
robkat is an unknown quantity at this point
i've tried to contact Rich, but he never responded directly through his website. I'm an hour from Tampa and would make the trip, but would want to confirm things before hand. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:41 AM
Please contact James at Aston Installations directly .. https://astoninstallations.com
You can also find them on Facebook and message them. He responds fast.

Old 08-09-2020, 11:35 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
A video of the NAVIKS system. Looks pretty straight forward.