Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2019 V8 Vantage Review Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 08:29 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
Damn those seats are comfortable, and that 500ft'pound of torque is addictive!! Flipping the ride from nice and comfy to trackable, I wish I could have turned the nannies off but that got a fast hard NO. Oh if it was only a stick!

The more I see it in person the more it grows on you. I took lots of shots of it beside my car and it's definitely 3" longer and 5" wider, especially the rear haunches. They look fantastic thru the rear view mirrors.

Expect the 5.2 under the hood pretty soon as they roll out more variations. The engine bay is the same as the 11.
See what I mean kind sir. I understand the 6-spd manual will be available sometime mid-2019 year model. Maybe not till 2020 model. But its definitely coming.

Those seats were wonderful, the power is there and on tap quickly. I owned 2 AMG's and although the exhaust has rumbles of a AMG, its not totally fart can sounds. Aston has done their twist well.

It grows on you alot. You only dont appreciate the hood and lights if you are looking at it straight on. From the side its wonderful IMHO. Thats why I took more pics in the daylight.

Hood Vents are forthcoming and could be wild looking to boot. I did drive with no nanny on it. Spun them a bit due to rain, but it gripped very very well.

Also------Quite possibly you wouldn't want the V12 in it. 500hp twin turbo done with a good tune, likely will push over 600hp easily if not more. For 1.5k. Then you would be much faster than the V12. Or do the same to the turbo'ed 12.

People are complaining about the Nav system. Did you really even notice it while driving. Its not that obtrusive. And, in person, doesn't look out of place all that much.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:46 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I try and always keep an open mind

They let you drive with the nannies off?! I'm going back tomorrow and demand another round!

There's a nav screen? Yes, it's not very attractive compared to my slope, but I look at the road when I'm driving. The really busy console was, busy. I'm sure if you owned and got used to where and what everything was it would be second nature but it's daunting at first. I do miss the watch like mechanical gauges and the reversed tach, that little needle of the tach is not easy to track in peripheral, but the rumble in the rear should keep track of that for you. It was much louder than mine full throttle, or at idle, loved the burbles, I could get used to the tone, it's definitely not bad in the cockpit. About 20 minutes in I said, how's the stereo sound? And we turned it on LOL

I'm sure you had the wipers on and saw they run center out, which I really like. It wasn't raining, I hit it by accident trying to adjust the steering wheel again. There are a lot of controls on this car, some in places you wouldn't expect, like the cruise control stalk.

Are you saying there's something wrong with a tuned 850 horse 5.2 in it? Who cares if it's more power than you can use!

Old 05-23-2018, 10:37 PM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
As many of the reviews I read or as many time photos I see of new Vantage, still not getting even closer to like it. IMHO it's hideous all around. The only part that I like is maybe some part of the rear. For 175K plus I'd rather buy 1 or 2 year old Ferrari (that will keep or appreciate the value) or maybe even MBZ AMG GT that looks IMHO so much better than new Vantage & it's few bucks cheaper & faster.. just my 2cents

I get that some people like it or love it, that's why we are different.

And I'm so glad that I didn't sell my Vantage.

Cheers.

IMHO-looks so much better than New Vantage

Seriously-175K ++++ for this ??? <br/>DB11 looks so much better compare to this. and I thought DB11 was bad...

Old 05-24-2018, 08:50 AM
99Problems is on a distinguished road
Having seen it in person, the head lights are still a total miss. From a car design standpoint, head lights are a HUGE deal, as are the day time running lights now that they accentuate the good (or bad) of the design. Both are a huge miss on the new vantage IMHO. To say that looking at the car head on isn't the way to appreciate the front is ludicrous, its accurate to say as much, but speaks to how ****e that design is.

I do think Aston was trying to get a younger buyer with this design, but the argument that current Aston owners are not the target audience is leaving a lot of customers and $$ on the table. Many of us didn't buy a Vantage with the intent of keeping the same car until we die. So being a now former Aston owner, this design/exhaust note/pricing model put me into another brand for this generation. We'll see after 3+ years when they get to the model refresh and maybe have to rethink some of their decisions based on sales figures. Time will tell.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:06 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
I definitely look forward to seeing some of the crazy tunes, 800hp v8 astons? ok sure no problem

can't even imagine the work involved to get 800hp out of even the older V8 let alone the V12V

and yeah of course I'd rather have a 458 Italia too, the AMG GT is probably my second favorite car next to my V8V

I can't afford a new vantage or a 458 Italia yet but can appreciate what they are trying to do with this new car and I look forward to giving it a test drive

Old 05-24-2018, 02:10 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I'd get a DB11 before a Vantage. And I don't like the DB11. My current Vantage will likely be my last AM

Old 05-24-2018, 03:03 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Ditto Deckman! Aston Martin is turning away existing loyal customers - BIG mistake in the long run

Old 05-24-2018, 07:08 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I have zero interest in the new gen Astons. The Vanquish S is the only new car I'd buy, the rest are now out of production.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:46 PM
jerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nice
You can say many things about the new car, but calling it beautiful wouldn't probably be one of them. Functional aero, modern, probably good for the race track would all apply.

But does it look like an Aston? When I park my 2007 Vantage next to a DB5 or DB6, I can clearly see the bloodlines in the grills. Which is one of the reasons I like my grill in its bare aluminum finish. IMHO, that finish makes the connection to the old cars better than a black grill. Not as modern looking which is why I like it.

And the remainder of my car's lines are breathtakingly beautiful, again, IMHO. Although that feeling is obviously shared by others who view the car as they invariably gush about how pretty the car is.

I can't afford a new car so my comments could be seen as pure rationalizations. And they may well be. I still think, in the long run, my car will age better than the new Vantage. We will all know the answer about ten years from now.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:34 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I really don't like China Grey, and mine is filthy. And please excuse the grainy pics, this contract is almost up and this phone will be replaced with a better camera. I thought about taking my Canon but doubted I'd have a chance to park beside it. They suck but they're good enough so compare lines.

And it's very unfair to both comparing a 1st gen body, a second gen would be much more fair with the splitter and extended ducktail, but I don't understand how anybody can't see the Aston lines in the new V. The DNA is absolutely there. It spent some time in Chernobyl and has mutated greatly, but it's still Aston DNA, on steroids. Nobody has to like the way it's evolving, but if it's not moving forward it's falling behind. And it makes my car look "vintage, while the new one, may be a little too modern for me. But every time I see it it grows on me a little more.

Couple more observations.

The doors felt light as a feather. Shockingly. I asked if this is what new struts are supposed to feel like! and he said it was entirely new. The drivers door also would not shut unless you shut it hard.

I did not like the window molding, it felt like a textured black plastic, I wonder how much different the car would look with a little chrome.

The brakes are very touchy at slow speeds and very light pedal feel. I abruptly stopped it several times in the traffic part of my drive. And they bind really well when you jump on them hard from speed!

It was just dead silent except for the exhaust, which compared to mine right now was again, shocking. I've got what I think is a screw under the carpet, the binnacle tweets like a flock of hungry chicks on rough road, and then it will go away for a couple weeks, last couple days I have a flock of hungry sparrows.

I did not know these are now pure monocoque but makes sense now that the VH architecture is done.

Seems like hatch space is a hair smaller, and the lack of glove box AND parcel shelf I didn't like. The console space is about equal to mine, but the cup holders are far more useable which is something they have failed at for too long. I have to put my soda on 6 napkins so it's tight enough to hold it in a turn.

The ride itself, the car felt amazing, and painful in SJ at 4:00 where there is no place you can run a couple cloverleafs safely, but I got a little juice in a turn here and there and it makes you want to know how it feels pulling some real g's. With that track setting, which was more comfortable than my Sport Pack BTW, longer and wider track, the front tires 3" closer to the nose, 5" wider, how flat it sits in a corner, the freight train power, those grumbles and burbles, it is definitely a fun car to drive. It's also got better visibility all around, smaller blind spots. I felt more comfortable backing it up into that spot than I did mine. It's also so much more comfortable than mine, those Sport seats are just wonderful. Maybe it's just my *** but the seat bottoms have always felt a bit strange pillowed in the center like that, and the bolsters really don't have alot of support, which is just the opposite of the new seats. My *** was very happy and the bolsters felt like it was made to a cast of my body, which may only help if you're my size! I need a set of those in my car.

There is no denying this is definitely the wolf. I joked with him that mine was a wolf in sheep's clothing, yours is pure alpha wolf, you've stripped the sheep completely off it. Pretty soon you could see the specs on this getting close to Vulcan performance in a street package with the 5.2 and the variable damping, and that's a wolf with serious fangs.

One thing I can guarantee, I've been pulled over 3 times in the last 14 months, a warning [86/65], a $54 delaying traffic [97/65 blowing by him in the fast lane], and a "Keep it down" [mid 70's in a 45]. If I'm driving that new wolf, I'm probably suspended right now, but in my pretty car, no points and a $54 fine.

Last edited by HabitualOffender; 05-26-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:06 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
From the front, old is FAR better looking than new. 10 years from now, no one will want the new Vantage as compared to the old one, which will age very rapidly.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:12 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Very good comparison shots, it helps see the progression of the new Vantage. And as always you will have the likes/dislikes of the brand. Colors aside I still like the original Vantage, Henrick is one of a kind as is his design flavor.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:25 PM
jerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nice
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
From the front, old is FAR better looking than new. 10 years from now, no one will want the new Vantage as compared to the old one, which will age very rapidly.
So, if I can live ten more years, I may actually be able to sell my car for more than I paid for it!!! Now I have a really good reason to make sure I live into my eighties!!!

Old 05-26-2018, 05:01 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
My brother who has never owned an Aston called me after reading the R&T article on the new Vantage. " Hideous" was his comment.
Enough said!

Last edited by larryg; 05-27-2018 at 05:03 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:20 PM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by larryg
My brother who has never owned an Aston called me after reading the R&T article on the new Vantage. " Hideous" was his comment on the new Aston.
Enough said!
Spot on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2019 V8 Vantage Review Thread