Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2019 V8 Vantage Review Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 11:12 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Aldv
I am sure you have read the many threats here and on other sites that show the crazy issues with our model cars. Yes..Aston improved or tried to correct...some issues have never been solved like the ******* of stick cars...not all but many. The owners answers to this ...drive less so not killed.
​​​​​​
I blocked that word because my superstition will kick in on conjuring the demons, but 1500 miles trouble free. It was quirky 1 day last week where after start the tach didn't move for a few seconds, it never dropped to high idle, wanted to go straight to idle, 5 times in a row missed and dropped straight to 500 and bounced up, once it dropped to 250, but bounced back up, then after the 20 miles on the highway, back to normal. Quirky.

But, no demons so far. And i really wish I had time to test the software thoroughly before the filter implosion to know for sure what cured what, if it's cured. Because the new engine or some part of it could be just as likely.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:22 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Just drove the new Vantage.

The car drove great but it was as "special" feeling as driving a Mercedes e300.
Side silhouette and tail lights look nice but headlights, grille and diffuser still don't look better than on pictures.

The picture upload function is somehow broken. Screen dims down and that's it.
EDIT: worked from the Phone. I should have washed my car yesterday.

Last edited by Zettinger; 06-05-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:28 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light

Old 06-05-2018, 01:30 PM

Old 06-05-2018, 02:48 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
e300? cmon man!

Old 06-05-2018, 05:39 PM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
Your Vantage is beautifully fluid in the same vein, to my eye, as an E type or 1963 Lusso. The new Vantage exterior....I'm not convinced that it will age as well and perhaps not any better than a Bricklin, or Countach.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:57 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
I blocked that word because my superstition will kick in on conjuring the demons, but 1500 miles trouble free. It was quirky 1 day last week where after start the tach didn't move for a few seconds, it never dropped to high idle, wanted to go straight to idle, 5 times in a row missed and dropped straight to 500 and bounced up, once it dropped to 250, but bounced back up, then after the 20 miles on the highway, back to normal. Quirky.

But, no demons so far. And i really wish I had time to test the software thoroughly before the filter implosion to know for sure what cured what, if it's cured. Because the new engine or some part of it could be just as likely.
It's been over 11 months since they installed the last software update on my car, and the only time it has stalled (one time) was my own doing. I'm convinced the issue was with the fuel maps, and they've corrected it.

Given the issues you experienced, I don't think you had the same problems that most people were encountering.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:32 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Mathman85
It's been over 11 months since they installed the last software update on my car, and the only time it has stalled (one time) was my own doing. I'm convinced the issue was with the fuel maps, and they've corrected it.

Given the issues you experienced, I don't think you had the same problems that most people were encountering.
I can't argue but I don't agree. I think there are possibly varying degrees of the same problem. It was always the same, off gas, either at idle or dropping to idle, it just did it alot more than typical.

I really wish I had gotten to fully test out the update before it imploded. I am starting to get a mildly comfortable while driving but 90% of the time the tach is still a peripheral focus. It may be a long time before I break that habit.

And it's not like it didn't drop to 250 last week and bounce back up. Quirky.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:27 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zettinger
Just drove the new Vantage.

The car drove great but it was as "special" feeling as driving a Mercedes e300.
Side silhouette and tail lights look nice but headlights, grille and diffuser still don't look better than on pictures.

The picture upload function is somehow broken. Screen dims down and that's it.
EDIT: worked from the Phone. I should have washed my car yesterday.

I test drove that car last Saturday. I liked the spec with the brilliant White Stone paint much more than the lime green one they had before. It definitely looked a lot better to me in person. It's also the first time I didn't mind the look of the matte black gills. But I think it desperately needs some hood vents as the bonnet looks too large and bulbous without them. They're prolly saving those for the S version, since the bonnet already has the cutouts for them underneath. I also wish they offered a glass roof option.

I did notice that the car was misfiring on a couple of cylinders which caused it stutter under hard acceleration and do a rhythmic backfire when coasting down whilst in Sport+ mode. Not very confidence-inspiring when the demo already has engine issues.

Last edited by karlfranz; 06-09-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:48 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Martin Brundle was driving the new Vanquish S Coupe on the F1 Track in Montreal and Verstappen passed him and pull away from him on the straight, Brundle was not impress...

Old 06-09-2018, 04:10 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by handyman2009
Martin Brundle was driving the new Vanquish S Coupe on the F1 Track in Montreal and Verstappen passed him and pull away from him on the straight, Brundle was not impress...

Max was driving what?

x-chr

Old 06-09-2018, 05:47 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
The new Vantage, sorry

Old 06-09-2018, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
I did notice that the car was misfiring on a couple of cylinders which caused it stutter under hard acceleration and do a rhythmic backfire when coasting down whilst in Sport+ mode. Not very confidence-inspiring when the demo already has engine issues.
The burbles are fantastic, and exactly what they're supposed to be. You should listen to an SVR F Type, that, is a little much, the V8V was just enough. The misfire I'd bet you felt the hair of turbo lag, I felt it a couple times

Old 06-09-2018, 06:48 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
The burbles are fantastic, and exactly what they're supposed to be. You should listen to an SVR F Type, that, is a little much, the V8V was just enough. The misfire I'd bet you felt the hair of turbo lag, I felt it a couple times
Actually, no. The Aston rep (can't remember his name) said he thought there was a misfire in two of the cylinders and that he noticed it on the drive from Tampa to Orlando. It felt like it was chugging. The sensation was similar to the one you get when you bounce off the rev limiter, but a low revs.

Also, I wasn't referring to the burbles. When I was coasting down (but only in Sport+ Mode), the exhaust backfired at one-second intervals very loudly. We both looked at each other and said, "that doesn't sound right". I would imagine he would know considering he has been driving the car all over the Southeast.

Last edited by karlfranz; 06-09-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:54 PM
I should have trusted that you knew enough to know better but you didn't elaborate much. That indeed doesn't sound right.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2019 V8 Vantage Review Thread