Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Car slipped off jack stand

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 04:31 PM
Viper98912 is an unknown quantity at this point
This is why when I designed my custom aluminum adapters, I made them so they "fit" into the jack and stand "cups" and "ridges", so they'd somewhat grip in a lateral movement, for this exact reason.

The pre-loading of the car's suspension can cause it to move left/right/front/back when you're jacking up. Especially if you have the parking brake on, the transmission pawl is tight/bound, you've lifted and lowered the car and it's bound differently than when it was first rolled in, etc.

Whenever I change wheels and I'm going up and down multiple times, I always release the brake and trans and roll the car a little bit to get the suspension to unbind.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:00 PM
NCVantage is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by handyman2009
I am really glad that you are ok, that was my main reason to buy a QuickJack as I didn't trust myself jacking that car and putting it on jack stand.
+ 1 for me. I love my QuickJack and feel much safer using it rather than Jack stands.

Sorry for the mishap but cars can be repaired. You're safe, so count it as a win.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:44 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
This is sad, but there was a blessing here. You were not under the car, which would have been a disaster.

+1 on the car can be repaired.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:07 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
You're taking it very well, and your insurance should cover it. My biggest fear is having it on the stands and working under it when it comes down. That's why I've never even tried to jack it up. Something underneath needs doing I make an appointment. I used to like working on my cars when I was younger and I've been in many far too many precarious situations working shade tree.

Best wishes on getting it back perfect.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:44 PM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
I too just want to say that I am sad to hear about your car. However cars can be repaired or replaced. I am relieved to hear that there were no injuries to you or anyone else. Wounded pride hurts but cars are still just things.

I bought a set of jackpads too, but haven't had the courage to use them yet. I have a new set of door struts sitting in the garage waiting to be installed but lacked the confidence to give it a try so far.

​We all feel your pain regarding your car. Somehow, owning an Aston is different from all the other cars I've owned. I feel more like a caretaker with my DB9 than I ever felt with the Porsche's, Alfas, Triumphs, Jags, MB's, I've owned over the years. These are special cars and it pains us when this kind of thing happens.

We are all here for you if you need to talk through the repair process. Keep us posted.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:22 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Ouch!!! That hurts just looking at the photo. Like everyone said, the car can be fixed. It is a good thing you are ok. After looking t this thread, I will not be jacking up my GT up.
Ron

Old 05-31-2018, 11:59 AM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear of your incident. Thankfully no one was hurt. Personally, I would not recommend jacking more than one point on a car if using jack stands. There are a number of small lifts available that can raise the whole car safely. I use a Bendpak Scissor lift. There are others out there as well.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:32 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Sorry to hear about your mishap. As others have said, thank God you were not under the car.
I have never been completely comfortable when jacking up the Vantage. I usually jack up a couple of feet from the jacking point which raises both wheels.
But there is uncertainty about placing the jack-stands.
Got to find a better way.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:32 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
So Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, I WILL not jack my car or anyone else's car again, on one stand, then more. I will be buying a Quick Jack for sure.

I have no issue with using Jack Pads then only jacking one corner up at a time. Comfortable with the jack for that. But, no more more than one corner now. Not worth the danger, especially when Quick Jacks are only 1.5k or so.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:08 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I don't think I understand how this happened.
Were you not using wheel chocks?
Can you snap a photo of the stand and jack you were using?
CATTMAN

Old 06-01-2018, 07:37 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by silver997
I use rubber hockey pucks in between the jackstand and the car.
I buy my pucks in bags of 12 and after a few uses toss the bad ones and start fresh.
Agree these cars are a bugger to put up on stands.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:24 AM
Senatorblutarsky will become famous soon enoughSenatorblutarsky will become famous soon enough
I am a total clod when it comes to mechanical stuff. I bought Jackpoint jack stands that I saw on Jay Leno's garage. I use them with hockey pucks and they are so stable that I feel comfortable lifting up front, back or all. I bought four of them, which was not much cheaper than the quickjack.

It's expensive but an option worth considering.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:49 PM
sanjay is a jewel in the roughsanjay is a jewel in the roughsanjay is a jewel in the rough
Very happy to know you were not under the car when it happened.

I would get a second opinion on any repair quotes. Due to the tub design i've seen cars written off with similar damage.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...firestone.html

Old 06-02-2018, 10:58 AM
wysoseereeus is just really nicewysoseereeus is just really nicewysoseereeus is just really nicewysoseereeus is just really nice
Wow, that's awful. Glad to hear you're okay. I'm always a little nervous jacking up the car and securing it. I'm a big fan of the JackPoint jackstands - they secure the car in a way that makes me feel comfortable. I've written about them before (I'm not affiliated with them; I'm just a happy customer.):

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...jack-pads.html

I ended up making an aluminum jackpad, which has a hole in the middle. I run an aluminium dowel through the jackpad to form a connection with the plate on the JackPoint stand and the rubber grommet under the Aston. (Photos below.) This prevents the jackpad from slipping laterally.

Sure, a hockey puck would work just as well. But, like you guys, I'm an Aston owner. I like my stuff pretty.

[By the way, this isn't a sales pitch for my aluminum jackpads. I never wanted to sell these for the reason illustrated by this thread; accidents happen, and it's not worth the liability.]

Hope this helps!

Old 06-03-2018, 03:44 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I'm getting the estimate next weekend, but will take it to a shop I know that does body work for exotics. My bet is there will a large difference between the two. That will be a fight.

To answer a question, I did have my tires chocked. The jacks are standard 3 ton ratchet jacks.

I'm going to get a quick jack. I will never put another car on jack stands.