Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 09:13 AM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Question Clutch Question

Hi all, haven't posted in an age but I still own and enjoy my '08 manual V8V.

I'm wondering if its clutch is going though so I thought I would post here to ask what people think and in particular to hear any symptoms people had if their clutch went in the past.

I had my car in for service last summer but left it at the garage for a month as I was away on vacation. No issues prior to this. When I got it back, I noticed that after a shift, as my foot has come off the clutch and I was accelerating, the revs would bump up briefly and then settle back down (with no obvious additional power getting to the wheels until the revs returned to 'normal').

This would be recapitulated if I was cruising in 2nd/3rd/4th/5th gear at 2-4k RPM and I pushed the accelerator. The revs pop up, as if the car is briefly in neutral or the clutch is partially engaged, and then settle back down and the car accelerates normally.

Oddly it seems to drive normally under heavy load though. I (tentatively, at first) took it to do some track laps last fall. It seemed to bite and respond like normal when I was driving it hard. I thought if the clutch was slipping it would be worse under load. By the end to the day I was flooring it out of the corners like I had always done, no issues. But then the same behaviour returned with sedate driving on the way home.

The car went into winter storage shortly after that and I only retrieved it a few weeks back. The issue appears to be the same not surprisingly.

Anyway, I would welcome comments/questions on this as well as thoughts on the clutch replacement options out there (although I recognize there are existing threads dealing with those).
Thanks!

Edit- It's going in for service this weekend hopefully to further assess and diagnose the issue

Last edited by Aston.Ca; 06-13-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:06 AM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Thanks for the input Richard (oil catch can still doing a great job fyi )

I had already PM'd Stuart before posting.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:39 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Redpants

The AMR clutch may be hard to get.
I see that you pulled the AMR part from your web site. Is it an availability issue?

Old 06-13-2018, 11:15 PM
keitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Redpants
The three main options are:
OEM, which is the least expensive for parts.
AMR, which is an upgraded OEM setup.
VelocityAP, which is a mix of OEM parts from the V12 Vantage and custom parts.
Has anyone tried a 4th option, the Bamford Rose twin-plate clutch and lighter flywheel?